3D Frame Packed output

Would need to see all logs.

FP means Frame Packed

Sam

http://paste.osmc.tv/pobapexoha

Your log shows we are correctly switching to 1080fp23.976

Thanks. Is there any way to find out what my TV is displaying? I’d like to know if it is displaying it incorrectly or if it is misreporting 1080p24 as 1080p. Can anyone confirm they’re displaying 1080p24 3D?

Yes.

It’s possible your TV doesn’t report it that way because frame-packed 3D is sent to the TV as if it were 1080p/48 rather than 1080p/24 - left and right eye frames are sent separately, one after the other.

After installing october update 3D is broken. Installed ex novo the package at the beginning of this thread and 3D works again but in a very strange way, as the image is doubled. All the movies that before were playing well now play in this very strange way. Tried everything I know at no avail. Should we wait for a new 3D package that works with October update?
Thank you.

Can you post a photo of your screen with the ‘doubled’ image? I think @tanio99 is concentrating on getting 3D into kernel 4.9 now.

I rolled back to July firmware and everything is ok now. I prefer to wait and do not update at moment. Thank you.

If i may ask, i am curious as to how 3D frame packed is implemented for Vero 4K (and i am too lazy to check the source now). On RPI AFAIK, 3D support is not really in Kodi proper but in the raspberry specific player code, right ? Does the Vero 4k also use a device specific player into which 3D frame-packet support is added ? Also: Which library is used to decode the MVC ?

Thanks for any insight.

The SoC (system on chip) has an MVC decoder which handles the heavy lifting. It is hardware accelerated in the same way H264 is.

I’m currently investigating the m2ts support issue. I wonder how to find out if the 3D stream is right eye or left eye first? AFAIK (but I can be wrong) this information isn’t kept in the m2ts file. Any clues?

You may well be right that the info isn’t present. I just tried playing a couple of right-eye-first m2ts files on my Oppo 203, and both of them required me to tell the TV to switch right and left eyes to get them to play properly!

I wouldn’t get too hung up on that, though. There probably aren’t all that many people who store 3D in m2ts files; I only do it because it’s the only way to get my Oppo to play them in 3D - if it could handle 3D MKVs or ISOs I would use one of those formats. Those people who do have 3D m2ts files will probably only have a small number of right-eye-first titles. So, as long as it is reasonably easy to toggle left and right eyes manually, I doubt you’ll get too many complaints that it’s not handled automatically.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. I think the flip-eyes feature should be our friend then.

I’ve just discovered this thread today and have now experimented successfully with a frame packed mk3d file. Just one question so far - would I expect to have to switch my TV (LG 55C6V) to 3D mode manually, then 3D off again afterwards? I wouldn’t have thought so, and I may not have the settings in Kodi correctly configured, but it’s what I seem to have to do to get 3D playback via my Vero 4K+.

No- can you post some logs?

Strangely it now seems to be working as expected. Maybe a glitch on my TV (ARC seems to have died tonight but that’s another story).

Just bought a Vero4K+ based to this work in progress, set it up last night and i am very impressed so far, coming from a Windows NUC, it is nice to have 4k with HDR too. Hope the bugs are ironed out soon.

These films have the NTSC juddering issue:

Europa Report
Hugo
Terminator 2 3D
How to Train Your Dragon
monsters vs Alien
Polor Express
Shrek
Shrek 2
Valerian & City of a Thousand Planets

I have 31 (out of 125) films that do not switch to hardware 3D on my LG OLED, and show as T&B

Films that do switch have MULTIVIEW_LAYOUT in MediaInfo, the others don’t:

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1
MultiView_Count : 2
MULTIVIEW_LAYOUT : BOTH EYES LACED IN ONE BLOCK (LEFT EYE FIRST)
Format settings : CABAC

They seem to have been ripped with MakeMkv 1.8 - 1.9 in 2014/15, I have re-ripped with 1.14 and MULTI_VIEW line is included and switches my LG OLED correctly with Vero4K+.

I think the Windows MVC builds used to take the 3D.MVC in the filename to switch to 3D with left eye as default if this info not included.

I have not read the full thread yet so hopefully not repeating information here

@angry.sardine – this is now fixed, thanks to @tanio99 (in next build)

1 Like

Hi,

Welcome to the forum,

The stuttering will be fixed in our next major kernel update, which is due shortly.

We’re still working on some macroblocking issues which occur with some titles such as Gravity. This isn’t something we can fix directly as the issue appears to be with the MVC microcode, so we have started a conversation with the SoC vendor to investigate the issue thoroughly and we are working on given them reproduction steps.

Sam

I think this post might help you: 3D Frame Packed output - #61 by jdruel