3D Frame Packed output

Yes, I assumed that, too. But he really has the latest testbuild installed.

Thanks - it’s a feature the family really misses. We’ve got a brilliant surround sound system that is completely immersive but the effect is ruined for us by having the picture squashed into two thirds of the screen - a decrease in picture quality is a price we are willing to pay.

Using the 3D build I have no problems zooming in and out on any 2D material, including 4K stuff. But yes, zooming is broken on all 3D modes.

It’s not just that the picture quality is degraded, it’s that a good portion of the picture ends up off the screen entirely - sometimes just at the sides, sometimes to and bottom as well if the film switches aspect ratios. (Films that are partially shot on IMAX film often do that - the IMAX sections are 16:9 but the rest of the film is 2.35:1).

There’s a related phenomenon in some 3D films: they appear to be in 2.35:1 wide-screen, but then suddenly use the top-and-bottom-black-bars parts of the display when you’re not expecting it. If memory serves, the 2016 version of Ghostbusters does this - ghosts fly out of the screen at you, and make use of the top and bottom bar sections of the screen to do it.

Well, it’s your TV, I guess. :slight_smile:

I actually do the opposite and zoom out when viewing standard-definition material - I find zooming it up to full screen makes it intolerably blurry.

Thanks for the info re zooming UHD material - very useful.

I’m well aware of the drawbacks of using zoom. For 2.35:1 movies we do not zoom all the way in, just enough to be immersive - as I said it’s a price we are willing to pay as this is more important to us than picture quality - each to his own :slight_smile:

I have now decided to go ahead and purchase a Vero 4k+ in no small part due to the support of this forum and the willingness of the devs to fix problems.

1 Like

As others have reported, it seems to work fine. (I’m watching an ISO of it).

I think what he means is that if you want to judge the test pattern by eye, that will only work on a native 1080p display. If your TV or projector is native 4K then the upscaling it applies to the test image will make it impossible to see what you’re looking for.

Just for my understanding: do you have a 21:9 TV?

No - 16:9 OLED - why do you ask? My ‘two thirds’ was an estimate - I’ve actually measured and it’s around 72%.

I just wanted to know, why you want to zoom. I supposed you want to get rid of the black bars on top/bottom on a 16:9 or the side bars on a 21:9 display. I started guessing with 21:9 (and a possible follow-up question: doesn’t the TV do that for you) :slight_smile: .

Yes to reduce (not necessarily remove) the top and bottom bars so that it doesn’t feel like we are watching a movie through someone’s letterbox which tends to make the experience less immersive :slight_smile:

Zoom via the TV is possible and this is what we do, but it plays havoc with subtitles and OSD and is a real pain especially since with Windows and our original Pi the procedure was effortless through Kodi itself.

I have now purchased a Vero 4K+. I assume it won’t be a priority but any idea when the zoom function might be fixed?

No, I can’t give any date. My TODO list grows and grows and there are some high-prio things on it (like the “stuttering” and the macro-blocking issue) and many issues which have almost no prio. Your zoom issue is now in that list somewhere in the middle. I can’t tell when I’ll have time to look at it. Sorry :frowning: .

That’s fair enough and pretty much what I expected - I’m just happy it is on the list :slight_smile:
Thanks.

It’d be quite interesting to see the list.

Yes, I could post it tomorrow. All issues were mentioned in this thread. But to be honest, I don’t want to start a discussion about priorities.

I just want to chime in and say thank you guys so much for your hard work on this. I’ve literally been searching for a proper 3D MKV solution for years! Can’t wait to see it hit the main branch whenever it’s ready.

1 Like

Just to give an update on current status. This hasn’t been forgotten, but we’ve been working intensely on getting 4.9 ready and we’ll make further 3D improvements to 4.9 instead of the current 3.14 kernel which we ship today

Cheers

Sam

Thanks for the update, Sam! Do I understand correctly that there’s going to be at least one (mainstream) release that includes Kodi 18.4 on the old kernel before there’s a 4.9 kernel release?

Yes. Kodi v18.5 is also expected in the first week of November

Thanks for your hard work. I am newish to the technical parts of Kodi and I have read through the thread, but I still have a question. Is 1080p24 3D expected to work from a 3D MVC file? If I set it to Hardware in settings, my TV reports 1080p 3D (which I think is 1080p30) and if I choose Over/Under, it says 1080p24 and the quality is much lower (cutting resolution in half?). I have a passive 4K TV that plays BRs from an Xbox One X in 1080p24 3D.

http://paste.osmc.tv/wiqozawequ

Your log shows 23.976 output.

I looked through the log quickly and noticed that, but I wasn’t sure if anything changed when I set it to Over/Under during playback. My TV detected a difference and changed the reported input from 1080p 3D to 1080p24 3D. Can you see a difference in the log after I changed? I guess my TV should show 24 for both 24Hz and 23.976Hz?

What does 1080fp24hz mean compared to 1080p24hz? For my curiosity.