3D Frame Packed output

I tried what you suggested but still ended up with no 3d. started from scratch by doing the wget again, sudo dpkg, etc, and then did the 2nd upgrade.

now i checked and the system information lists kodi version 18.3. That doesn’t sound right to me but i’m not sure. perhaps it’s upgrading kodi as well as osmc using the apt-get upgrade?

Kodi 18.3 is correct.
Yes, APT will also update Kodi which is why you install the test build afterwards.

You are meant to run the dpkg commands after an upgrade.

you have to disable the automatic update because the 3D build is a little bit older. the update will always overwrite the 3D build. Both are 18.3 but maybe the timestamp of the non-3D-build is a little bit newer.

i’m not sure what’s going on here. i’m able to view 3d after the first 3d build is done (the one with wget and dpkg). so obviously i’m running the proper kodi build at that point. I have had updates to “prompt” all along, so why it’s updating the kodi as well as well as the 3d build is beyond my understanding. Here is what my /etc/apt/sources.list file looks like, in case i’ve done something wrong here.

deb Index of /debian stretch main contrib non-free
deb Index of /debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main

No - he doesn’t. He can just reinstall the build after

Read again. It is by design.
You need to reinstall the 3D build after any OSMC updates.

The rationale being that eventually this build will be deprecated, as functionality will be part of OSMC by standard, and you wouldn’t want to linger on an old build

Sorry but either I’m really confused or I’m not quite sure you’ve understood my post. While i have had updates at “prompt” all along, I had done manual updates to kodi prior to the 3d builds (received July 2019). Didn’t think that was necessary to mention as, I mentioned in my post, I have been able to view 3d after installing the first 3d build. My previous understanding is that I would NOT have been able to see 3d with the first 3d build had i not updated kodi.

So, right now as it stands, I have left it as the first 3d build on my vero. In order to get the August 21st update, i thought I just needed to edit the sources.list file and do the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and reboot.

What have i missed?

Hey @sam_nazarko, hope you’re okay with us continuing our 3D conversation here as it would be great to have community inputs. So, I’ve made two videos (unlisted on YouTube):

• Bitrate clips performance of Vero 4K+: - YouTube
  • Random 3D ISO and MVC MKV titles playback: - YouTube

I’m finding the wired performance pretty poor for a gigabit-capable player. My Odroid N2 w/CoreELEC, Fire TV Stick 4K, nVidia Shield TV and Zidoo Z9S are all connected to the same ethernet switch to my router, and all players (except Vero 4K+) manage to stream the 400Mbps Jellyfish clip from my Synology NAS via SMB just fine.

I tried to disable/enable Vero’s internal ethernet port and use a Ugreen USB ethernet dongle I have instead as a test, but Vero wouldn’t recognize it.

With full 3D playback, it’s a mixed bag. I have nearly 400 titles, so I tested a bunch of random ones, a mix of MVC MKV’s and ISO’s. When 3D does work well, quality is very good to excellent. The PQ seems a bit soft compared to my Zidoo Z9S, but I need to conduct more through PQ comparisons. But, there’s no beating native Kodi playback of 3D like with RPi, but now with HD audio to boot. Anyway, hope Sam and team can stabilize 3D playback to extent possible. Happy to provide extracted segments from problematic titles, post MediaInfo details and/or debug logs.

On a related note, is there a way to program a remote control button or a keyboard key to execute flip eyes in Kodi? If not, at least bring up the video settings window?

You would have to work out exactly what the code would have to be but if you look down at the “6.7 GUI built-in’s” section of the Kodi Keymap wiki I believe that is what you are looking for.

1 Like

Thanks… hopefully one of these will do the trick:

With MKVs Kodi will automatically play the correct eye order assuming the value is set correctly in the MKV header. MakeMKV does this automatically on later versions but if your files don’t have it set then in MKVToolnix open the header editor on your file, navigate to the video track and find “Video stereo mode”, value 13 is for left-right, and 14 is for right-left.

If you have edited the sources.list file and apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade, you then have to do the wget thing again. Then you will be on the latest 3D supporting build.

400 Mb/s is an awfully long way outside the UHD blu ray spec. How often would you encounter that kind of bit-rate outside of a benchmark?

You’re right, but still surprising consider 4K+ has a gigabit port right? For UHD rips, 140Mbps is mostly enough I think. I’m forgetting what peak bitrates UHD discs hit during intense scenes.

You had three topics in your original post and it is not the best to have all of that discussed in this quite focused 3D thread. I suggest for your bandwidth/throughput topic to open a new thread.

I have analyzed the 3D output of Vero 4K, RPi2, Zidoo X9S and Oppo 205 with a MVC 3D resolution test pattern that I have. When I differenced the captured output frame (left and right eye separately), none of the device outputs perfectly matched the source frame. I haven’t done any further testing because I no longer have a good 3D capable display.

Is that available online?

Thanks Graham. I did what you’ve said and have 3d, but do not know how to confirm if it is the 2nd build or the first. the issue with the foreground/background inversion with “boss baby” and “live die repeat” was correctable with flipping the eyes on my epson projector. however, when i tried to do the same thing (flipping eyes) within osmc for those two movies, it did nothing. given that angry.sardine said that the 2nd build fixed the flip eyes in osmc for him, i’m thinking perhaps i don’t have the 2nd build yet.

hdmkv - you should mentioned the Beta release in your videos. If someone later will watch this he get maybe a false impression about the device.
With the 3D testbuild 4K playback is for me always broken, so i don’t know if your yellyfish tests make sense.

1 Like

@hdmkv, thanks for testing 3D performance. I’d like to comment your findings.

• The ‘shaky stuttering’ playback you’ve experienced is a well known problem so far. It’s caused by NTSC video playback. We’re currently investigating this problem.
  • The next testbuild will have some improvements of the jumpy playback which could also be solved by skipping forwards/backwards or chapters.
  • That freezing in Gravity is new to me, will try to reproduce it.
  • Ready Player One: I can’t tell what’s causing it. We need debug logs to investigate. If you can reproduce that with a short extracted segment then I’ll be interested in getting it :slight_smile: .
  • as @querty1000 pointed out above 4K playback is a bit broken in the testbuilds. The next one will hopefully fix that. @hdmkv, did you run your 4K tests using the 3D testbuilds available here?

I second that.