44.1kHz Music File Play Problems

I have a handful of multi-channel music files with a 44.1 kHz sampling rate. When I play these files, the sound cuts out every few seconds. These files play perfectly through other sources, and I don’t have this problem with any other files. Is there an Audio setting I have to make to play these files?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

The URL is:
http://paste.osmc.tv/usajedekac

You played a track for 19 seconds and the log shows no problems during that. Did you get cut-outs while it was playing?

Yes. Was I supposed to play it longer?

not if you were actually getting hiccups. As I say, there’s nothing in the logs. Does your AVR indicate a proper signal all the time? Have you checked the cabling?

What is the make and model of AVR?

Yes, I have no problems playing my files with other sampling, such as 48, 88.2, and 96. Only these few files with 44.1 cut out, and they play perfectly through the same avr with my blu-ray player.

Denon 4520

So I tried some 2 channel 44.1kHz files, and they play without the cut outs. Is there something about multi-channel files at 44.1 kHz that is a problem? If not, I guess I’ll submit a support request.

Can you send us a sample file that exhibits problems?

Thanks

Sam

Do I just upload it in a post?

You can upload it to Dropbox or Google Drive.
If this is not possible, we can provide you with an upload link

Sam

Try this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VyBYABQPsz1fHa9cFDJ9ydBKmSRz7-PN

This is a flac, 6 channels, 24 bit, 44.1 kHz.

Plays flawless on my Vero4k (I’m on staging version) with my AVR Sony STR-DN1080 and 7.1 speaker setting on OSMC.

Just tested with my Vero 4K -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-660A. Plays with no dropouts at all.

Comparing your settings with mine the only relevant delta I see at-hoc is the chosen output device, here it is “AML-M8AUDIO, HDMI”, you have “ALSA:default”.

This is why I originally asked about settings. I’ve tried all 3 settings in these fields:

Audio output device
Resample quality

For Output configuration, I have “Best match”. I have Allow passthrough enabled. What’s weird, though, is that just below that, “Passthrough output device AML-M8AUDIO, HDMI” is greyed out, even when I select AML-M8AUDIO, HDMI in Audio output device.

Is there some combination of setting that I need to have to play these files?

The selected output device won’t make any difference. And playing it with Best match set should result in perfect playback. Resample quality doesn’t matter as there’s no resampling happening with Best match set.
I’m sure, @JimKnopf and @bmillham have tested it with these settings (which are our recommended ones).

So if it’s not the settings, and it’s not the files, that seems to me to leave two possibilities: a connection/AVR issue or my Vero unit. If it were a connection/AVR issue, then why am I able to play multi-channel files with other sampling rates and 2 channel files with 44.1 kHz with no problems? For that matter, why am I able to play these same files with no problems using my blu-ray player through the same AVR?