4k+ CEC EARC issue

If you don’t require CEC to be working on your Vero the full proof way to sort it would be to physically disable the connection to that device either by purchasing and installing a “CEC less adapter” or with some other method you find by googling “cec disable pin 13”. I’ve taken HDMI cables and just used a small blade to push in that one pin to make a cable that omits CEC.

Ok, do you by chance know if this works if I add the adapter on the HDMI side that goes into the Vero 4K? Or does it have to be connected to the HDMI part going into my receiver? The reason why I ask is because there is little room at the back of my unit for the HDMI cable and if I need to connect the adapter there it is going to or not fit, or it will be really tight (bent).

Otherwise I would have to try and cover it myself.

If your using a CEC less adapter it doesn’t matter which end of the cable it is connected to. It is literally just a male to female passthrough plug that purposely isn’t connecting pin 13 which is the single wire that all CEC communications are sent through.

1 Like

Sounds similar to my issue. In the end I bought a remote power socket so I power down the Vero 4k+ when not in use.

It is a known issue/limitation that if you remove power from a Vero 4k but leave the HDMI cable connected it stops CEC communication for other connected devices. This is a bit confusing to me that you’re saying you found a fix in something that is expected to be the opposite.

I didn’t know that. I had so many problems with my amp and tv switching eachother on and off when I didn’t want them to and the amp not autoswitching to the correct input (nearly all my posts on this forum). All problems happened after introducing the vero. Now I switch the vero mains off when not in use and everything works as expected/wanted. I must have been using it this way for over a year, maybe two.

Thank you for this, it works like a charm.

1 Like

It’s really interesting that that solution works.
I had always suspected that it was a grounding issue, not necessarily the Vero’s fault, and even when the power has been off it still impedes other devices as long as the HDMI is still plugged in.
There are so many variables it’s almost impossible to narrow it down in any given situation and even if you did it would likely be different for others.
Some device in the system, could be the Vero or could be something else, is likely not grounding in the same manner as other devices in the system.
That is what I suspect is most likely happening to most people.
And most people will still have problem even with the Vero off and unplugging the HDMI is the only thing that breaks everything else free.

Because of my curiosity and what you have mentioned, I think I’m going to test some things out that may be helpful to others.
I have a remote outlet I can test with to cut power to the Vero, but I’m not confident how well they cut power.
There’s usually still some phantom power leaking through.
This can easily be confirmed with a low wattage, think one watt, night light.
Plug the night light into the switchable outlet and turn it off and see if the nigh light still gives some light.
On one of mine I know it still does.
It’s less than normal operation, but it’s still faintly lit up and only visible in the dark.

Hopefully I find some helpful information in my testing.

Took me a while to get my Vero setup to hog the HDMI again.
But unfortunately my testing hasn’t proved anything worth while.
If I tell the Vero to power down then the rest of my devices have no issues with CEC.
I had no need to unplug the power to regain CEC for the rest of the system.
I toggled the power with my remote outlet just to see if the Vero would hog the CEC again when it boots back up and it did as expected.
I know people get stuck with grounding but I just can’t get my set up to do it.
I have a specific setup with certain CEC and screensaver settings that keep the Vero from being a cause for CEC issues in my setup and I have posted those settings and people have had success with them as well.

For those who could care less about CEC, then the best fix is to physically remove it with a modified HDMI cable or a CEC-less adaptor.
For those who want to use CEC the only thing I’ve known to work is my CEC/screensaver settings.