A question about audio behavior

I have a Samsung q8f and while admittedly they suck formatwise I am under the impression that its able to handle dd+ and at least 5.1, possibly more chanels, and decode and output as 4.1 or 2.1 or 2.0 or whichever it actually plays it as.
But, if I have a file with sound better than dd+, if i ‘downmix’ and output as anything other than 2.1 the tv does no processing and just play left and right channels. (and admittedly I have no idea if the 0.1 channel actually gets played)

Why is this?

Please post logs.

This is expected. If you output more than 2 channels as PCM, TVs will normally play only FL and FR.

Thank you.
Do you have any recommended settings for the sub channel? Leave off completely?

If you don’t have a subwoofer, leave it off. Even if you select ‘Include LFE in stereo downmix’ you’re not going to hear <80Hz on your TV.

I see, it would still not try to use the sub channel? (The tv actually has one dedicated speaker for sub)

And I assume “reencoding” sound from downmixed pcm to DD is beyond a media player? At least I have seen no such setting…?

Ok, well leave it on, then.

That’s what ‘Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding’ does. But if you allow passthrough in order to use that you need to set channels to 2.0.

1 Like

Lovely. Love this machine. Thanks for the help

2 Likes