This wiki article should cover all your general questions about how to connect up your OSMC device to get the best audio possible. There’s also a section with explanations of some of Kodi’s audio settings as well as information about the audio capabilities of our OSMC devices.
Connecting up your equipment:
1. You have a display with an HDMI input and you have an AVR with HDMI inputs and outputs.
2. You have an AVR/amplifier with no HDMI inputs.
3. You have an AVR/amplifier and your display has no HDMI input.
4. You have no AVR/amplifier.
5. A special case: using (e)ARC.
Recommended audio settings for different scenarios:
1. …when using your AVR/soundbar/TV’s HDMI input.
2. …when connecting your OSMC device to your AVR/soundbar/amplifier’s S/PDIF input.
3. …when connecting your OSMC device to your AVR/soundbar/amplifier’s analogue input.
Some of the audio settings explained in more detail:
- Output configuration
- AC3 transcoding
- Keep audio device alive
- Send low volume noise
- Mute HDMI audio (Vero 4K/4K + only)
- What is HD audio?
- Why can’t I passthrough HD audio via S/PDIF?
- Why are Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) and DTS-HD HRA special cases?
- Which versions of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are there? And how is AURO-3D different?
- Which passthrough formats are supported by OSMC devices (not all are supported by all devices) and which of them can be passed through via S/PDIF or HDMI?
- Which LPCM output formats are supported by OSMC devices via HDMI and S/PDIF?
- Is passthrough of DSD via HDMI supported?
Thank you, @grahamh, for your part of this wiki article!