Adding retropie

I just got through getting OSMC on my Raspberry Pi 4. Right now, I have a keyboard connected to the Pi 4
So how do i go by adding Retropie to the add-on.

It would not be via addon as it is is more complex. Check this how to and read through the last additional posts.

sorry on that mistake.
I mean that i have OSMC on the raspberry pi 4

So and what is the message you are trying to give me?

sorry on that mistake.
I mean that i have OSMC on the raspberry pi 4

Yes and the first sentence says “It still supports the RPi, so it’s been imaginatively called…”
If that is not the case followup in that thread

I have a keyboard connected to the RPI, how do i install or add-on retrOSMC

I’d think you’d find it easier using a PC and using ssh to make the changes, but there is instructions on how to directly access the terminal here…

And as fzinken stated you would need to click on the howto that he linked to above and read the first post. You would then need to scroll to the bottom are see what the last relevant post/s from @hissingshark are as things change over time and there may be important information that hadn’t made it back to the first post. If you have any issues after that you would find it optimal to ask in that thread as the person who maintains this monitors that thread and will see you post there.

Ok, i got it, but when going over to my add-on, i click all to show all of them. down the list, i click on At the bottom, i hit Enable and a pop up shows up saying "The Add-on is not compatible with this version of kodi

With all do respect, you obviously don’t. If you had read the first post of the linked thread, and then read the last few posts in that thread (as instructed) then you couldn’t really have missed where this was already asked and answered with a solution.

1 Like

i came across this here, but this here chmod +x install-retrosmc.sh wouldn’t work
When i got to the command line first i login then i typed down
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mcobit/retrosmc/master/install-retrosmc.sh
but when i got to this chmod +x install-retrosmc.sh it wouldn’t work, so i went skip down to this line ./install-retrosmc.sh and it went. it just the the chmod line didn’t work

• Move to the home directory cd /home/osmc and download the installation script wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mcobit/retrosmc/master/install-retrosmc.sh .
  • Make the script executable chmod +x install-retrosmc.sh.
  • Run the script ./install-retrosmc.sh.

PS. When i did install retrosmc the first time, i wnt to Add-on my add-one to see the list, i try to enable it, it a message keeps saying The add-on is not compatible withis this version of Kodi

Are those trailing periods something you were putting in at the terminal or just in that post? It seems to work fine for me…

C:\Windows\System32>ssh osmc@192.168.254.224
osmc@Cave:~$ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mcobit/retrosmc/master/install-retrosmc.sh
--2023-08-19 18:41:37--  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mcobit/retrosmc/master/install-retrosmc.sh
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 185.199.109.133, 185.199.110.133, 185.199.108.133, ...
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|185.199.109.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6262 (6.1K) [text/plain]
Saving to: 'install-retrosmc.sh'

install-retrosmc.sh           100%[=================================================>]   6.12K  --.-KB/s    in 0.001s

2023-08-19 18:41:38 (10.7 MB/s) - 'install-retrosmc.sh' saved [6262/6262]

osmc@Cave:~$ chmod +x install-retrosmc.sh
osmc@Cave:~$ ls -la install-retrosmc.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 osmc osmc 6262 Aug 19 18:41 install-retrosmc.sh
osmc@Cave:~$

i got it from here under installation GitHub - mcobit/retrosmc: An easier way to get retropie onto osmc
do i still put this in chmod +x install-retrosmc.sh

I don’t think they intended for you to copy the trailing space and period. You can name a file something[space][period] if you want but if your file name contains a space you would need to escape it with a backspace or contain the file name in double quotes so the space isn’t interpreted as the end of the file name.

osmc@Cave:~$ chmod +x install-retrosmc.sh .
chmod: cannot access 'install-retrosmc.sh': No such file or directory
osmc@Cave:~$ chmod +x install-retrosmc.sh\ .
osmc@Cave:~$ chmod +x "install-retrosmc.sh ."
osmc@Cave:~$

As @darwindesign has helpfully directed you to, there is a more up-to-date install thread for this - retrOSMCmk2. The process described installs Reptro-Pie and a launcher add-on.

This newer debug rabbit-hole you’ve gone down with the extraneous periods is off track. You’ve now crossed into the original Retrosmc thread and install script. That’s totally unrelated and been unmaintained for years.

I should reiterate from the posts you’ll find in my thread - my original work ported Retro-Pie to the Vero4k as a flagship.

RPi3 was later included as I had occasional use of one, and it gave some backward compatibility to the existing OSMC/retrosmc community.

RPi4 was released later. I do not own one to develop/support that platform. Any function is fortunate but coincidental.

Vero V - I am officially and actively supporting.
I have all but PPSSPP working, within the range of my testing. The latter I am working on.