Advice Needed on New Remote

For years now, I’ve been using my Samsung Q8 Series remote for the TV and Vero 4K. It needs to be replaced and I was wondering if there was a popular universal option for Vero 4K that worked out of the box

With my TV IR remote, I could immediately use the TV remote on the Vero 4K to navigate and select content.

Only thing missing is keyboard commands, like “C” for context menu, and “I” for movie info, etc…

So, is there something that will replicate this experience with Vero 4K? Maybe something I can somehow program to also do C and I commands too? Not too worried about my TV control, as I assume said new remote could easily be programmed to operate my TV model.

Depends how much you want to spend, but the Harmony remotes are v good https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Ultimate-Projectors-Integrated-Rechargeable-black/dp/B00IAKLM54

1 Like

Just for information, Harmony discontinued all their remotes some time ago. You can still buy stuff that is in the retail channel, but there’s no guarantee how long they will work (although in fairness to Logitech, they are still running the SlingBox backend like a decade after discontinuing that).

Unfortunately, I’ve not really found anything like the Harmony. Some people have had success with the Sofa Baton.

1 Like

Unfortunately the Sofabaton hasn’t had the best of reviews…

Particularly within the context of OSMC: Help on getting my universal remote to work

3 Likes

I’m another that is a diehard Harmony fan but will freely cast the warning that they have been discontinued.

But just for education what you had been using is called CEC and it is communication that happens between your TV and connected devices over HDMI. Any remote that can be programmed for your TV is going to do the same as your old remote. The context menu and information buttons may be something that you can program to a new remote that is also using CEC, but it is going to largely depend on the TV, not the remote so much. With CEC the TV forwards some buttons when you are using a CEC enabled source, but not others. If there are buttons your TV forwards (colored buttons for example) then you can program Kodi with a system called keymapping to choose what actions happen when some button is pressed when your in some particular part of the UI.

With a universal remote and a Vero there is also the option of programing the universal remote to directly send commands via IR (or bluetooth if your remote is capable) to the Vero just like you would with an old school universal remote and a VCR, DVD player, or whatever.

1 Like

I think that just means no new devices will be added to their db but exisiting remotes will continue to function as before.

Anyway, has to be better than a remote called ‘sofabaton’ - what a name!

Until Logitech pull the plug on the servers…

LG magic remote is quite decent for the ££

If you don’t have too many devices (like 3) the FLIRC skip 1s is pretty nicely made. It’s not perfect and the software to program it can be a bit confusing but it certainly has promise and is at least a current device and not too expensive.

So if you just had a tv, av amp and Vero it works really well.