After Jan update issues with pasthrough

Something wrong with Audio pass trough. I have VERO 4K+ and “old” 5.1 Creative Inspire 5700 (old, but still capable to play DD and DTS) connected via optical cable.

1st - czech DVB-T2 stream with DTS audio - I’m unable to play the DTS stream. I must switch to stereo channel to hear the sound. Although another tuner/television plays DTS correctly on this AVR. When I record this stream and play it later, it plays through DTS.

2nd - after this update none of my video plays through DTS/DD. Nothing helps.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

I also had this issue. It would not pass through DTS or DD sound. I could not get audio to play through my TV or my AVR. I have a RPi3 hooked via HDMI to the TV. Optical cable to the AVR receiver. No TVH channels would play the sound nor would any TV or movies with DTS or DD sound.

I finally reset the audio system settings in KODI by selecting “Reset above setting to default” under Settings / System - Audio.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Issues with passthrough and HiFBerry

2 posts were split to a new topic: Issues with passthrough and HiFBerry

Passtrough is an HDMI Feature and has nothing to do with Optical.

Wrong. Dolby Digital and DTS can be passed through via S/PDIF. It’s technically even capable of passing through Dolby Digital+ and DTS-HD HRA, if sender and receiver are capable of 24bit 192khz.

Sry but normally the optical isn’t called Passtrough, the normal feature i know is HDMI-Passtrough

And how is it possible for S/PDIF to passtrough DTS-HD if ARC can’t do it and thats the reason they made eARC because event the normal 18GBit of ARC HDMI is not enough to pass trough HD Audio because you need the 48 GBit?

Passthrough is passthrough… It’s not a HDMI feature, but rather the technical term which says that an audio format is not decoded to PCM first by the sending device, but passed through as is via S/PDIF or HDMI and then decoded by the receiving AVR/DAC.

It can’t passthrough all types of DTS-HD. It can only technically passthrough HRA which is not implemented very often - as the format itself is only rarely found. But both S/PDIF and ARC (using the same bandwidth and offering the same features) can technically transport DTS-HD HRA and DD+, if sender and receiver are capable of working with the maximum bandwidth (equal to 24 bit 192 kHz stereo PCM). Dolby Digital+ is actually supported by quite a few TVs before eARC was introduced, but smart TV apps with Atmos support were already present. Newer AVRs can often accept DD+ via S/PDIF/ARC. DTS-HD HRA is technically possible, but probably not properly implemented and used anywhere.

2 Likes