Amazon Prime Video on OSMC (Raspberry Pi 2)

was working but now keep getting error messages…someone help

Which error messages do you get?

Error

Script failed! : Amazon Prime Instant Video

I get the same error message! Yesterday it worked fine.

Same here - getting “Script failed” error.

The script is parsing html code replied from Amazon server. It seems to me that Amazon did change the content since not all elements the script is looking for are containted within the html, e.g. “deviceTypeID” or “playerSwf”.

So hopefully the maintainer of the add-on can find a solution - I would really appreciate :smile:

Just came across following site:

There you’ll find a default.py fixing the issue. Just replace default.py witin the folder “~/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.prime_instant”.

Works perfectly fine.

its in german and I cant read or download…I cant even register can you help please

Uploaded the file containing some further fixes (also taken from kodinerds)
default.py.zip

Thanks works again!!! I had to use cyber duck for windows to overwrite the default.py. file!

Thanks a bunch!

I’m still getting a ‘Script failed’ error. I registered with the kodinerds.net forum and downloaded default.py. Replaced the original, and exactly the same error. Can browse titles etc, but when it comes to playing a video it stalls at ‘Script failed’. This is what I see in my logs:

20:25:57 T:1760789536 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<–
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <class ‘urllib2.HTTPError’>
Error Contents: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.prime_instant/default.py”, line 1082, in
playVideo(url, selectQuality==“true”)
File “/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.prime_instant/default.py”, line 619, in playVideo
flashContent=opener.open(matchSWFUrl[0]).read()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py”, line 437, in open
response = meth(req, response)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py”, line 550, in http_response
‘http’, request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py”, line 475, in error
return self._call_chain(*args)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py”, line 409, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py”, line 558, in http_error_default
raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
–>End of Python script error report<–

The 404 error seems like the relevant bit. Unfortunately I’m not quite up to the task of fathoming the python script (yet). Has anyone got any ideas?

If anyone’s interested, I found the solution in the form of an even more recent version of default.py, found here:

Thanks to lordk!

Is this for real? To get Amazon Prime I have to download a 3rd party add on and use that? i.e. enter my Amazon credentials, which are linked to several payment methods, into some module installed by a random fing zip someone tells me I should download from the internet? F that! I’ll watch on the PS3. I think it’s a really bad idea to acclimatize people to downloading modules and trusting them with any significant credentials whatsoever. The zip is apparently unsigned and you can’t even find a hash of it that you can compare to? Weird.

1. I think it is really a bad idea that Amazon only creates a single account that automatically allows payments and usage of the prime video service
  2. I think it is a bad idea to troll about a 3rd party addon on the OSMC forum

I think what jhwoods is saying is a legitimate concern. At the very least, it should make people take a minute to think about how they trust such powerful credentials with anybody knows who…

I agree that is a legitimate concern. But the wording sounded more like trolling than a proper warning.
Anyhow for me it is more the concept mistake done by Amazon, because I am not sure if it is safer enter his Amazon credentials on a PS3 compared to a addon from which even the content can be checked by the user.

Sorry if it sounded like trolling, it really was not intended that way. There is no doubt the developer of the add-on has done everybody a service, and I certainly don’t mean to sound ungrateful. I completely accept that it is Amazon that is largely at fault here - for instance, they could provide a separate sub-account which could only be used for watching media. I also understand that I could actually read the content of the add-on for myself. BUT if a few of us read it and/or test it and decide it’s ok, how do we even tell other people that it’s OK when we can’t even say that the zip with the hash XXXYYYZZZ is good?

On a PS3, you can’t check the content of the add-on, but you do at least know that it has been signed by SONY. On Android, I know that the Amazon app is from Amazon themselves (well, technically, I trust Google that it is so). OSMC needs a mechanism for confirming some level of confidence in this add-on. It could be in the base install image; or it could just be a link to the correct site and hash values of the zips one should find there. But we are letting the dev down big time if we don’t do something — she or he has put in the effort to create this thing and the community needs a somewhat more formal way of endorsing it.

Lol um, no. There is nowhere on this site, or any other, where OSMC has approved, sanctioned, or otherwise recommended this app.
Use at your own risk.

Why not? Linux distros have repos. Other products have forums where people refer to safe hash values for downloadable extensions. “Use at your own risk” is a little bit disingenuous - many people with Prime accounts have payment details linked to that account which would be sufficient to order huge values of vouchers which could easily be transferred to bitcoins and be gone for ever within a few minutes. It is only a matter of time before someone pollutes this add-on with their own additional malware and if we don’t even know the hash of the safe version, well … the ‘own risk’ part of your advice is so damn huge you’d have to be an idiot to use it without detaching all significant payment mechanisms from your Amazon account first.

Do you use it? Have you had any trouble? And if not, what’s the SHA-256? :smile:

Are you kidding me? We have no intention of accepting any such responsibility, exactly for the reasons you are mentioning! It’s not our add-on, we didn’t create it nor do we endorse it.

I don’t have it and have no intention of using it for myself.

1 Like