Amazon Prime Video on OSMC (Raspberry Pi 2)

The login code has nothing malicious in it, I took a look at it after reading this thread and in the add on, the developer only captures the data from the keyboard pop up dialogue and stores it in a local variable then passes it to the login function that just uses the headless browser to submit a form on the amazon login page and as soon as the function is done the variable is destroyed. I know this is a concern so I checked it myself, but I could find no issues. However the add on doesn’t work, and I think it’s due to some changes in the amazon url paths, any help on that would be nice…

No, it’s not the url, it’s DRM - Amazon decided months ago to DRM all Prime content, so we’ll probably will never be able again to use Prime on our RPis… :frowning:

With Kodi 17 we propably will be able to use Prime again (and other DRM-secured sources as well; on Raspberry >= Pi2):

Seems to work fine! :wink:

with the latest OE milhouse testbuild for kodi 17 the Amazon Prime Addon is possible on a Pi again.
a special version of libwidevinecdm.so is needed, too

but… I use OSMC - and I don´t want to change this -

so my noobs question is : can this addon be used in future builds of OSMC ?

I’ll help @gmc to get it working in a v17 build soon enough.

It will also be included when we officially release Kodi 17 (when it’s stable)

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, Sam

This will be the day when my Pi3 with OSMC will finally replace the FireTVStick :relaxed:

@sam_nazarko can you give us a small update on this?
Does it also mean streaming netflix on vero2 will be possible?
Will there be any restrictions like lower resolution in the streams?

The Amazon streams used are 720p with 5.1 channel audio, and are pretty good quality.

Yes sounds great. Do you also know something about netflix streaming possibility?
Or is it other form of encryption or adaptive streaming that can’t be played via kodi?

Krypton supports binary addons for video demuxing.
That makes much more possible when playing from external sites without needing internal kodi code changes.

The inputstream addon allows some DRM schemes to be properly supported (providing you have a valid account).
The Amazon Prime and Sky Go addons use libwidevine, a DRM scheme supported by the Chromium browser.

In theory most videos that can be played in Chromium can be supported, including Netflix. But in practice it needs someone to do a fair amount of work to replicate what Chromium does to talk to the server. Netflix is being worked on but we don’t know how long it will take.