Any update on the Pi4?

Yes – you’ll want to add the Kodi package in (it’s the only package not in staging) after building it. As it’s only a single package, you can just use dpkg and don’t need to rely on apt-get.

Sam

I’m sure that will affect how fast the Pi4 version is ready…

I’m ready when you are!

Will this support 3D-MVC?

Hi Sam,

Well, that’s it :sweat_smile:, I’m lost.
Please can you explain me how to do this?

Greg

No - MVC isn’t supported on Pi anymore

Really? Forever or just not yet? I thought that was a feature that was dependent on some driver thingimabob that didn’t exist yet?

Sam,

Can you explain a little bit more about how to use dpkg to ‘add’ Kodi to the already compiled filesystem and installer?

Thanks again,

Greg

Hi Sam,

Any update? I see on Github you push every day or so.
Any progress towards a rbp4 image?

I’m at loss about compiling it myself. Should I go and make every packages? then a filesystem, then an installer target, and maybe dpkg -i kodi 19 on the rbp once booted with the installer target (supposing this one creates the img file one can flash on the sd card…).

I know documenting all this takes time, time being the precious stuff to advance, but I lack a bit of simple explanations to begin building this myself. I’m sure this is not that complex, I just need a few guidelines more…

Everything is built and in repo. Only an installer needs to be built now.

Unfortunately I have limited time at the moment. If you’re struggling to build I would suggest waiting.

Great news, I’ll git pull it and have a try again :-).
Nothing to loose trying in the meantime, only knowledge to gain, or even maybe a working img for rbp4, who knows…

Thanks,

Greg

1 Like

Ok,

After an hour or so of compilation, I have a Build failed on this:

make[1]: Entering directory ‘/home/greg/osmc/installer/target/buildroot-2014.05/output/build/uclibc-0.9.33.2/utils’
HOSTCC utils/getconf.host
…/utils/getconf.c: In function ‘main’:
…/utils/getconf.c:1239:6: warning: statement will never be executed [-Wswitch-unreachable]
1239 | {
| ^
HOSTCC utils/ldconfig.host
HOSTCC utils/ldd.host
…/utils/ldd.c:111:12: fata error: asm/elf.h: No such file or directory
111 | # include <asm/elf.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated
make[1]: *** [Makefile.in:115: …/utils/ldd.host] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/greg/osmc/installer/target/buildroot-2014.05/output/build/uclibc-0.9.33.2/utils’
make: *** [package/pkg-generic.mk:180: /home/greg/osmc/installer/target/buildroot-2014.05/output/build/uclibc-0.9.33.2/.stamp_built] Error 2
Build failed
make: ***[Makefile:8: rbp4] Error 1

… Did I do something wrong? I git clone the latest version, had sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade before this, and had already installed the dev environment as described in the wiki (Getting involved with OSMC development - Development - OSMC)…

Any idea?

Greg

Without knowing what OS or architecture you are building on, I don’t know.

Ah yes, sorry.

I’m on a raspberry pi 4 running Ubuntu 20.10. And I just did a make rbp4 inside installer/target/.

Greg

The installer is compiled on x86_x64.

Ok,

So I can only compile the installer on my (mac) laptop booted under Ubuntu… Is that correct?

Also, an installer will give me an img file? I only need the img file, not all the Mac/Pc software to create the flash card…

The error I got seems to be the same as the issue #559 on github. Is it related? I had this doing make under Ubuntu 20.10 on a rbp4…

Greg

You cannot build the installer on the Pi itself.

By the installer, you mean the PC/Macos app to flash the image on an SD card? If so, I do not intend to build this, I just would like to obtain an image. I rather prefer to go with Balena Etcher…

Is it then required to go on a laptop/server/out of pi?

I just use the pi as the only alternative platform I have at hand (Mac Laptop disk is AFPS formated and I do not achieve to partition the disk to create a dual boot with Ubuntu 20.10 on it…).

So if I just want an image file (.img, .dmg, .iso) for Balena, do I still have to make an installer? Not sure to understand what precisely the installer is, and why it has to be build under an X86-X64 if what is build is intended to run on the RPI4…

Any explanation is most welcome, and all your help is much appreciated already :-).

All the best,

Greg

ps: I fear by the time I figure out all this the img for rpi4 will be available on the OSMC.tv website :-)…

Yes, we are referring to the target installer here, which runs on the device, not the host installer, which helps you write an image.

Ok, this is rightly the installer that has to be built in order to have the img file.

Is there other steps after the make (providing I achieve to have it running without error…) has finished in order to have a unique img file?