Any update on the Pi4?

No - you just need to build it on the right device.

Okā€¦

I have access at work to a server running Ubuntu 18. Iā€™ll give it a tryā€¦

Thanks again for your help

Ok, just ā€˜make rbp4ā€™ into installer is not enough, I need first to make a rbp4 filesystem, right?

Okā€¦

I did ā€˜makeā€™ in osmc/filesystem/osmc-rbp4-filesystem/
And I finish with this:

perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale (ā€œCā€).
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
E: Can not write log (Is /dev/pts mounted?) - posix_openpt (19: No such device)
Selecting previously unselected package rbp-userland-osmc.
(Reading database ā€¦ 6454 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack ā€¦/rbp-userland-osmc_3.2.0-1_armhf.deb ā€¦
Adding ā€˜diversion of /etc/kernel-img.conf to /etc/kernel-img.conf.distributed by rbp-userland-osmcā€™
Unpacking rbp-userland-osmc (3.2.0-1) ā€¦
Setting up rbp-userland-osmc (3.2.0-1) ā€¦
Reading package listsā€¦ Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
E: Unable to locate package rbp4-device-osmc
Exiting build with return code 100
Makefile:2: recipe for target ā€˜allā€™ failed
make: *** [all] Error 1

But there is a package rbp4-device-osmc inside osmc/package/

So, I did a make in the osmc/package/rbp4-device-osmc and
make back to the osmc-rbp4-filesystem dir
and have this now (just the few last lines):

I: Validating fdisk 2.33.1-0.1
I: Validating libblkid1 2.33.1-0.1
I: Validating libfdisk1 2.33.1-0.1
I: Validating libmount1 2.33.1-0.1
I: Validating libsmartcols1 2.33.1-0.1
I: Validating libuuid1 2.33.1-0.1
I: Validating mount 2.33.1-0.1
I: Validating util-linux 2.33.1-0.1
I: Validating liblzma5 5.2.4-1
I: Validating zlib1g 1:1.2.11.dfsg-1
I: Chosen extractor for .deb packages: dpkg-deb
I: Extracting libacl1ā€¦
Filesystem base install failed
Exiting build with return code 1
Makefile:2: recipe for target ā€˜allā€™ failed
make: *** [all] Error 1

Please be patient for the release of the test builds. Every response that Sam must provide for you is time that would be better spent for him to patch up the test build to a point where he wishes to make it available. There are dozens, if not hundreds that also wish to make use of Samā€™s test build when he feels itā€™s ready for public testing.

1 Like

I know Samā€™s time is precious for all that wait for the release. I was hoping not specifically answers from Sam but maybe from other more advanced users than myself that already achieved to compile osmc for rpi4 to answer and help.

I know there is always a part of self learning and thatā€™s sometimes a steep lurning curve to climb at the beginning, so any help could do. Sometimes just a few explanations and a bit of experimentation can lead to great resultsā€¦ Just here Iā€™m a bit out of skills currently to understand what I should do.

Iā€™m appreciating all the effort Sam is putting in this and the time He takes to even answer noob questions such as mine. I was not trying to steal rather selfishly his time, but was more in search of general guidance, from anyone in fact :-).

So all my apologies to have taken precious ressources from Sam (Time!) ;-). Hope everything is steaming on the tracks!

Thanks again,

Greg

Test build is imminent.
Give it a couple of days, youā€™ll see public test threads on this.

Iā€™m sure you can find it easily before then.

1 Like

Is there much of a performance difference between the Vero 4k+ and the Rpi4? I have both (and Iā€™m very happy with the Vero) but intend on using both in different settings.

I havenā€™t benchmarked it. The CPU is faster but it doesnā€™t directly translate to performance in the UI, and depending on SD card performance you can see some slowdowns.

Best thing to do will be to just try it.

Cheers Sam, looking forward to it. Still loving my Vero though.

Very easily. Iā€™m not going to link to it as I donā€™t want to cause an influx of issues to be posted before the OSMC Team is ready for them and a formal announcement is made.

Thanks again to the whole OSMC Team for all their work over the years!

Good man.

Feel free to try it, but please donā€™t post any issue reports for the next couple of days until we announce.

Cheers

Sam

I think I have found it :-). No reporting of anything yet, waiting for the announcement.

All the very best for the help and hints everyone!

I know Iā€™m not supposed to ask for support so if this qualifies just ignore me. However I was wondering if when I install the rpi4 disk image through the osmc installer it matters what device I select before it asks for local build seeing as I canā€™t leave it empty.

Just select Pi 2 / 3. It doesnā€™t matter.

You can grab a Pi 4 image here: [TESTING] Kodi v19 builds for Raspberry Pi 2/3/4

2 Likes

Thanks.