AppleTV1 is laggy and reboots constantly since update

It’ll take forever to scroll through a simple menu and most often just freeze for a long time. if i play a HD video it’s worse. If i leave it on and it goes to sleep, on waking it’ll be even worse and usually won’t do anything until i reboot again… going to try and figure out how to get a log of whats going on because i know that’s what people are going to ask for…

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload some logs. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

On start up, there is usually about a minute where nothing really works and if i try to scroll through the menu, it’ll likely just stop showing any movement for a minute or two. When I then navigate to a window with media, it’ll do the same thing. when I go to play the media, if it is HD it’ll likely have some issues with starting (sometimes there is no audio, sometimes there is audio, but the picture is frozen, sometimes there are only subtitles which continue to move but no picture/audio). After a few tries stopping and starting it, sometimes it’ll start fine and continue working fine until i try to watch another movie/tv show. If i let the system go into screensaver/sleep, on waking, it’ll almost never do anything until i reboot.

Considering doing a clean install since I don’t see anyone else complaining… I was having lots of problems with OSMC since the beginning so I actually did an image install of crystalbuntu to downgrade before going back to OSMC when I realized that none of the stuff with crystalbuntu worked anymore. Things seemed to finally be going ok until this update came and now it is incredibly frustrating to do anything.

http://paste.osmc.io/qokebebuxa

on a side note, I don’t think my appletv has ever recognized the fact that I installed a larger hard drive into it… I’ve always been nervous about dealing with partitions, etc. not sure if that might help…

OSMC will use the full space of the hard drive on initial installation.

The device is now ten years old so performance will not be what it once was. Make sure you use a lightweight skin and restrict the number of addons and repositories that you use

I would love to go back to the old (Kodi?) skin but i don’t see that as an option anymore… I only have 1 addon installed and this problem was going on before I installed it i believe. I understand that it is an old piece of hardware, just don’t think it is a coincidence that it was working before the update and now it doesn’t…

Thanks for the response! I would love to go back to the old (Kodi?) skin but i don’t see that as an option anymore… I only have 1 addon installed and this problem was going on before I installed it i believe. I understand that it is an old piece of hardware, just don’t think it is a coincidence that it was working before the update and now it doesn’t…

You can get Confluence from the repository

Do you think that will help performance? I’m using the skin that came with the install.

Sam - Do you think that will help performance? I’m using the skin that came with the install.

The OSMC skin should be fast on AppleTV. Something else is not right with your system.

1 Like

I think i will probably just try to do a clean install. sorry about being impatient. i will see if i can just delete this unless it ends up having the same problem

I Have been having similar issues, it was quite bad at first. i use MySQL DB on my PC, and many of the thumbs / fanart were scanned in using two android boxes, 1 @ 4k and 1@ 1080p so some of the images are large. Lots of these appeared to cause a reboot when the ATV tried to cache them. i improved matters some by setting new databases in advanced settings and re-scanning, but still sometimes i get random crashes when loading artwork, but much less now.

i also have other seemingly random reboots, or the system hangs and becomes unresponsive for a few minutes - or completely until i pull the power (during this time i get memory allocation errors if i try to stop kodi gracefully by ssh) these seem to be audio related and the below error appears in the logs coinciding, with no pattern i can see in the preceding logs

ERROR: CAESinkALSA - snd_pcm_writei(-32) Broken pipe - trying to recover

Install to a good USB or drive, don’t use high res thumbs.

The device may be overheating

Ok, “good”, I’m not the only one who broke his ATV1 with and update to Krypton from Jarvis. :-S

Same sluggish behavior, repeated reboots, same CAESinkALSA error as shown above as well as many
21:58:36.309 T:2597321536 NOTICE: running thread: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process()
21:58:38.700 T:2597321536 NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86018, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)
21:58:42.057 T:2597321536 ERROR: CDVDAudio::AddPacketsRenderer - timeout adding data to renderer
21:58:44.955 T:2982148928 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
21:58:44.979 T:2982148928 ERROR: ActiveAE::InitSink - failed to init

21:58:45.101 T:2597321536 ERROR: CDVDAudio::AddPacketsRenderer - timeout adding data to renderer
21:58:49.059 T:2562730816 ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
21:58:49.220 T:2562730816 WARNING: CRenderManager::Configure - timeout waiting for configure
21:58:49.228 T:2562730816 ERROR: OutputPicture - failed to configure renderer
21:58:49.269 T:2597321536 ERROR: CDVDAudio::AddPacketsRenderer - timeout adding data to renderer

21:58:59.827 T:3001010048 NOTICE: Using GL_TEXTURE_2D
21:58:59.950 T:2597321536 ERROR: CDVDAudio::AddPacketsRenderer - timeout adding data to renderer
21:59:02.541 T:3001010048 ERROR: CWinEventsX11::MessagePump - missed XRR Events
21:59:02.586 T:3001010048 ERROR: CXRandR::Query - unable to execute xrandr tool
21:59:02.586 T:3001010048 ERROR: WinSystemX11::RefreshWindow - failed to query xrandr
21:59:21.314 T:2720004928 NOTICE: ES: Client from 127.0.0.1 timed out

Got an ATV1 with HD card added, replaced the internal HDD with an SSD, kodi database hosted on the NAS, media access via NFS mounts on the NAS, playback ok on Jarvis up to 1080p (often times), 720p (always), now not even 720p. Audio via HDMI connected to receiver (HDMI,digital).
Normally end up with a black screen or reboot.

As for the sluggishness: tried Kodi stock skin, osmc as well as confluence - no difference

Oh, and I even experience slow response while connected via ssh. “top” doesn’t show any load issues

Unfortunately partial logs aren’t sufficient to debug problems.

Sorry, as I wasn’t the first reporting this, I thought this might already be “some sort of known issue”.
http://paste.osmc.io/hizuwarifu.md
(including errors attemping to directly upload the logs)
Let me know if you need more.

Thanks for the advice Sam, i have two ATV and both exhibit same behavior, both are installed to the internal drive, one is the stock 40gb that came with the ATV, the other is a 150gb drive i fitted.

is there i way i can force kodi to download more suitable sized thumbs / fanart and not use the ones stored with my media? (i already selected prefer online info in music before dropping my DB’s and rescanning)

it could be heat, the box is pretty warm, although as far as i remember it has always run like that, right back to CB1. i will leave it off until totally cold then do some more tests!

OSMC on AppleTV will download modest sized thumbnails that shouldn’t cause problems.

Sam

OK Thanks, i guess its something else and loading Artwork is just one thing that can trigger, i have started to notice reboots and hangs at other seemingly ransom times, just going through menus etc. i will try again when fully cold and if still issue get some proper logs uploaded through my OSMC…

Thanks!!