April update causes System freezes

Only a wild shot, but I suggest you try to disable the webserver and see if the problems still persists

Can you try setting “resample quality” from GPU to medium (in system/audio settings).

Also for me. My Pi 2 freeze time to time (stop music, no more IR response, no web response, Yast doesn’t see it anymore)?
I use OSMC since several months. This issue is due to the April update …
Here is my logs (two freezes)
http://paste.osmc.io/afiqovekaz.xml
&
http://paste.osmc.io/uborigavih.xml
It restart after an ssh and
% sudo systemctl restart mediacenter

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried my suggestion from previous post?

Hi popcornmix,
Thanks for your answer… I will try.

I will also try the suggested change to resample quality from @popcornmix above and report back.

In terms of this being related to the April update I am pretty sure it is as I had the March (and all previous) updates applied and didn’t have any issues until first reboot after April update was applied.

Having a similar issue. Haven’t used the Pictures viewer lately, but when I tried last night it would only show a few of the pictures in the folder. I would select a picture and the screen would black out.

05:01:39 51833.347656 T:3024302640 ERROR: Window Translator: Can’t find window settingsprofile
05:01:45 51839.187500 T:2493510640 ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000003 timeout 1000
05:01:45 51839.187500 T:2493510640 ERROR: COMXTexture::Decode WaitForEvent:OMX_EventPortSettingsChanged failed (80001011)
05:01:45 51839.187500 T:2493510640 NOTICE: DecodeJpegToTexture: unable to decode to texture special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/6/69acba51.jpg 270x210

Have been having a freeze issue since April update on two pi’s
Audio drops out then couple seconds later video freezes.
Have since noticed looking at the codecinfo on some videos the aq and ad both constantly are -negative and decreasing in value as the video plays. I can get through a whole video without a freeze but this is happening on virtually all expect those that pass through is running.
And is the same on both pi’s.
Will have to check logs.

I did this and have been using OSMC all day (with constant party play) and no freezes yet. This could be the culprit.

It might just be my imagination, but it seems the audio is back to normal now. After the April update it seemed to me that the magnitude of the output volume had decreased.

I will monitor the behaviour with the logs on for a few days and report back either way.

I’m having the same issue: Audio drops out and after some seconds, my raspberry hangs
Before April update, I’ve never had any freeze.

Here is my log: http://paste.osmc.io/acafuvazol

And have you tried my suggestion?

Thank you for the reply.

Not yet. I usually use “GPU acceleration” and I have an A/V decoder with passthrough.

I’m going to follow your suggestion.

Can you explain what does it means this option?

I can confirm exactly the same. With the march version, I had the same configuration without issues

GPU accelerated resampling offloads audio resampling to the GPU. This is useful for Pi1 where CPU is in limited supply, but less critical to Pi2 and Pi3.

For the March update, there was a known bug that could cause kodi to hang when multiple connections to the GPU were being opened/closed. It was believed that GPU accelerated resampling was one of the causes of this, so it was disabled by default on Pi2/Pi3 where it wasn’t really needed. It was left enabled on Pi1.

The April update fixed the bug with the GPU connections, and GPU accelerated resampling was enabled for all again. Now it is possible that the GPU accelerated resampling bug was something else and so enabling it again was undesirable. I need people who are experiencing the bug to test with it disabled to confirm whether this is really the cause of the hangs you are seeing.

Thank you, @popcornmix, for your very detailed explanation.
I’ve already changed the configuration. I let you know if I will notice again the freezes

Like jimmyjon, my OSMC played radio all this day (13hours) without any freeze after setting “resample quality” from GPU to medium on my Pi2. Thank’s to popcornmix.

1 Like

I have the same issue. In my case the system freezes when I’m navigating in the movies or tv show list.
Changing the resample quality didn’t solve the issue

RPI1 and OSMC Skin

Here is my log: http://paste.osmc.io/bonekigiqi

Thanks

Hi magorrias,
Have you tried the popcornmix suggestion ?

If not, could you try and report your result here ?

Thanks.

Doesn’t fix the issue on my Pi1.

Hi,

Yes, I’ve tried with all the “resample quality” possibilities and the issue persists

More info: If I navigate very slowly (with CEC) the issue happen less often. But when I navigate quickly the system freezes immediately