April update causes System freezes

I’ve had this happen several times on a Pi 2 [without CEC]. Navigating quickly with the remote causes a system freeze.

Didn’t work for me either

Just an update.

So far my Pi2 hasn’t crashed since changing this setting. It seems to have been the cause of the problem. Good job narrowing it down. :slight_smile:

Symptom:
When going to media library, like TV Shows, not all of the TV series thumbnails are rendered. When this happens, it is not possible to play any movie. When attempting to play the movie, there is only a loading wheel at the right bottom of the screen, and the movie never starts.
Sometimes reboot of the system helps, sometimes not. Even if it helps, it just breaks after several hours.
Interestingly, when it breaks, the audio also stops working.
The issue is easily reproducible. You just need to wait or reboot couple of times.

When:
Can’t say exactly, but it definitely started in April.

Hardware:
RPI B (revision 0xe)
The movies are being played from externally powered HDDs connected via USB.

Steps taken:
setting “resample quality” from GPU to medium - did not help
reimage of system - did not help

Logs:
http://paste.osmc.io/nawivafohi
http://paste.osmc.io/pazihibipa

In the second log (both were successful reproductions) I can see (This is from the moment when the library is loading (I was using ‘tail -f’ to capture that moment - one of the thumbnails does not load)):

18:02:09 386.202393 T:2639786992 ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForCommand OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait timeout event.eEvent 0x00000000 event.command 0x00000002 event.nData2 320
18:02:09 386.203766 T:2639786992 ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::Initialize - error disable ports on component OMX.broadcom.image_decode omx_err(0x80001011)

I can also do more tests/debugging, just let me know what you need.

Your issue does not appear to be at all related to this topic. Please create your own appropriately titled thread.

I read the original post again and I think this is exactly what is happening to me, I’m sorry if I made it confusing.

Elements in common:

I know the descriptions are not super accurate, but I’m not trying to hijack a thread here.

If the animation continues and does not require power pull or intervention via SSH, it’s not a freeze.

Maybe using the Term “freeze” wasn’t correct,
Im not a native english speaking person, but janojan’s description does match my pi’s symptoms exactly, except that on mine a reboot Has always worked for a while yet. (I don’t always have a ssh connection at Hand, so Most times it’s just pulling the plug.)
And i think IT IS Kind of a kodi freeze, as soon as the loading animation shows up kodi is completely unresponsive, only the animation keeps moving, no interaction is possible. Underlying os stays responsive. (I have not tried to stop and restart kodi whithout Rebooting the whole System, because normally when this happens my wife is sitting next to me, so I have to get it up and running asap)

Edit: it seems that navigating slowly helps to prevent this problems, or i was just lucky yesterdays.

Same for me. Fixed

I am having exactly the same problem since April’s first update.
Both my rpi1 B+ and rpi2 stopped working correctly.

Rpi2 issue was fixed by changing “resample quality” from GPU to medium.
Unfortunately this wasn’t enough for rpi1 B+ and everytime I play something and then I navigate back to tv show or movies list, some images just don’t load, menu sounds don’t work and nothing can be playbacked as it gets stuck at loading…

The only solution is restarting kodi, and everything is back to normal until something finishes playing.

My configuration is MySQL + NFS in a NAS for both rpis.

I have 6 pi’s a combination of Pi and Pi2’s all have the same issue following updates in April. I thought Popconmix’s fix was working but alas not.

Is there a fix in the works for these issues? What is the workaround? Do I need to reinstall all pi’s with an older build and turn off updates?

Sam, What is your view of this issue?

Cheers
Spart

There is a fix for openmax errors that has been committed to kernel tree which I suspect will fix at least some of the issues reported, but until that is tested, it’s hard to be certain.

I don’t know if a test build with that fix in could be produced before the next monthly bump.

Hopefully with only a few days to go to the month end this issue will be fixed. Constantly rebooting via ssh is a pain!

Cheers
Spart

Likewise. I don’t use so much lately but when I do it randomly freezes and have to ssh in. Currently have debug logging on and waiting for it too happen, of course it won’t when I’m trying to make it happen!
Thinking about updating to a pi3

I am not aware this is a pi model specific issue. It seems to affect both my pi and pi2 osmc installations.

Cheers
Spart.

Since someone reported that this problem is about decoding jpegs, I stopped updating the library, so every series/movie show the default images.
This has worked for me for a few days, slow moving also works, but I tend to forget that.

Just for completeness, I’m using an RPI1B
HTH, Pablo

Same problem here on pi1b

I,m agree with the definition of osmc corrupt instead freeze. Ssh works and reboot solve problem.

I have a Raspberry P1 B and I have the same problem from April updates…

How about you try to update with the May update and if problems remains provide logs

May update didn’t solve the issue

Log: http://paste.osmc.io/iserifemaj