April update causes System freezes

@popcornmix using the following command:

tail -f -n50 ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | grep ‘OMX_ErrorInsufficientResources’

There are no further insufficient resource errors.

Bizarrely when running in debug mode the UI is more responsive and fanart is generated and displayed quicker!

Cheers
Spart

@sparticle: post the log with gpu_mem=256M anyway - there may be some clues there.

@popcornmix

Here you go. http://paste.osmc.io/icepewepor

Many thanks
Spart

@sparticle
This is suspicious:

18:45:01 6364.188477 T:2398090224 ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForEvent OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait event 0x00000003 timeout 1000 18:45:01 6364.189941 T:2398090224 ERROR: COMXTexture::Decode WaitForEvent:OMX_EventPortSettingsChanged failed (80001011) 18:45:01 6364.191895 T:2398090224 NOTICE: DecodeJpegToTexture: unable to decode to texture special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/2/2718b8fc.jpg 758x140 18:45:02 6365.203613 T:2320495600 ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForOutputDone OMX.broadcom.egl_render wait event timeout 18:45:02 6365.205078 T:2320495600 ERROR: COMXTexture::Decode m_omx_egl_render.WaitForOutputDone result(0x80001011) 18:45:02 6365.207031 T:2320495600 NOTICE: DecodeJpegToTexture: unable to decode to texture special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/e/e765105e.jpg 1280x720
Can you provide me with ~/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails/2/2718b8fc.jpg and ~/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails//e765105e.jpg
(e.g. upload to dropbox or google drive)?

I’d also be interested if disabling the MythTV PVR addon makes a difference.

@popcornmix The first one exists the second one does not!

Cheers
Spart

@popcornmix https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_kiKTXOEehIR3J3dk0yVjNJdW8/view?usp=sharing

It appears to be the TV Show banner for The Blacklist and opens fine in image viewer etc.

Cheers
Spart

Yes, it decodes okay on Pi here. Keep an eye on the log to see if that jpg shows up again around the “ERROR:” lines. It may just be random.

I too have this problem on my Raspi 1B.
I have some addons that show lists of preview images of video streams. When I scroll fast through the list, it soon stops showing the preview thumbnails and the sound just stops working. When this happens, OSMC will freeze when I try to play a stream.
The problem does not seem to occur when I scroll the list very slowly.
I tried running above-mentioned “tail -f -n50 ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | grep ‘OMX_ErrorInsufficientResources’” but it doesnt output anything.
Hope this helps, if not I can also provide a full log.

Regards P

@pboedeker yes, post the log. I’d like to know if this is the same issue, or just similar.
Seems to mostly be an issue for Pi1.

The Problem was just like before,
After viewing Video, List didn’t Show thumbnails, no Navigation sounds, didn’t try to Start next Video this time.
Will try some settings tomorrow and Report back.

@popcornmix Yes I mean the things described in this thread as ‘freeze’.
Booted up, navigated through the list until images and sound disappeared. Then tried to load a stream.
I get an endless loading animation (as someone mentioned earlier). I can go back to the menu with the home button but there is still the loading animation overlay and I can not navigate further.

Would love to paste a log, but that grab-logs contains personal information…

P.S. prolly relevant lines:
ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForCommand OMX.broadcom.image_decode wait timeout event.eEvent 0x00000000 event.command 0x00000001 event.nData2 320 ERROR: COMXCoreComponent::WaitForOutputDone OMX.broadcom.egl_render wait event timeout ERROR: COMXTexture::Decode m_omx_egl_render.WaitForOutputDone result(0x80001011) NOTICE: DecodeJpegToTexture: unable to decode to texture special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/d/db70a6a4.jpg 485x273

P.P.S. similiar behaviour when I browse the wallpaper folder on my sdcard. Only 2 thumbnails load, the rest stays blank. But this time the log does not contain above errors.

@popcornmix disabling/removing the mythtv pvr addon made no difference.

Is this an issue affecting only osmc users or are other kodi variants affected?

It is certainly a pain in the rear!

Cheers
Spart

I’ve only seen this reported with OSMC. Might be interesting to see if it does affect other variants, just to narrow it down.

This same issue is happening to a friend of mine, which has a Pi1. Unfortunately I cannot provide any log, but the behavior is the same (OSMC get stuck while browsing the movie list, and only solution is restart Kodi or the whole system). My friend told me that this issue started after the April update.

@sam_nazarko Sam, Is this issue on your radar? I could not really find any other reports on other variants of Kodi that experiencing these problems. It is making OSMC virtually unusable as after playing something you then have to reboot or restart mediacentre. We have 6 pi’s as primary media players all over the house and family’s houses.

Do you have any information that points to the problem being identified and an idea as to when we can expect the usual brilliant OSMC experience on the pi to resume?

Cheers
Spart

Hi, i have dissable all pvr add ons and looks like kodi works as usual, no freezes today and i can use wifi remote controls again. Also looks like kodi more responsive

There have been two confirmed problems, and both have been resolved, and there have been reports that this has fixed the issue for some users

Unfortunately the description of the problem is vague and as we have seen in recent posts, not all users are reporting the same issue. Unfortunately this creates a ‘me too’ kind of situation where we don’t get much meaningful data. We sometimes see several month old posts resurrected with +1s after we have fixed the underlying issue. The symptoms may be similar but the underlying issue may not be.

This issue seems to be very localised, we have a lot of users on the most recent version of OSMC but only a handful of reports. I suspect we just need more users to post logs with the latest version and to make sure they’re doing so on on a clean install (no add-ons)

My install doesn’t contain addons that are not Part of the official kodi repo.
I disabled OMX yesterday and browsing TV shows is fine now, no Problems with stop/Start behavior anymore, fast Navigation doesn’t cause Problems either. But on movies i dont See any thumbnails at all now. (Navigation is fine)
Debugging is Enabled now, so i will be able to provide some New logs tomorrow.

Freezes all the time on RPI B. Installed on three different cards and all did the same. Freezes when trying to play movies. Freezes when searching. Missing thumbnails.

TV Headend running on May update.

No need to say to you want logs, I’ll try and upload when I can.

It’s just updated the system, it required a reboot. Seems to be better afterwards Showed all movie thumbnails and played one off external drive.