April update causes System freezes

I got My pi usable again by disabling OMX accelleration and vertikal blank synchronisation.
(Image caching is awfully slow now, but Everything seems to be working fine.
Last log file is quite big, so I upload it to my own server:
http://smt-webservices.de/kodi.log
(I will delete it tomorrow, so Grab a copy)
I hope it can help to narrow down the cause of the Problem.

Edit: sadly, it didn’t fix the Problem completely (i have disabled debug logging while playing a Video file, when playback stopped, List view was Missing thumbs again, but it is a great improvement anyways)

OK so I have just rebuilt one of the problem Pi 1 B+ devices from scratch. I did the following:

New SDCARD
Installed using OSMC installer latest offering was 01042016 on my ubuntu installer so I took that and elected to re-download to be sure and installed to the sdcard
Boot up and let osmc do its stuff.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo reboot now
sudo apt-get Install rsync
sudo rsync -avz --progress osmc@fullywortkingpi3osmc:/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/ /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/
sudo rsync -avz --progress osmc@fullywortkingpi3osmc:/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/ /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/

I now have essentially a media replica of one of the fully working Pi3 OSMC devices. All artwork etc. is there and working.

Seems to work perfectly and the problem is not recurring. All of the problem devices have been upgraded from previous versions. I will keep monitoring this build for the next few days or so and if it looks good I will replicate this to the other devices.

I am not sure my rsync method is an approved way of replicating the media libraries, addons etc. but it seems to work. If there is a better way please let me know.

Cheers
Spart

Damn…spoke to soon.

Same problem as before on the B+ no thumbnails for TV shows etc. on exit from playing a movie or tv show!

Cheers
Spart

I cant help but to ask here if my random reboots got something to do with latest update?
http://paste.osmc.io/racahahisi
finding epg errors and repeated skips… anyone else?

[quote=“viro, post:104, topic:15361, full:true”]
I cant help but to ask here if my random reboots got something to do with latest update?[/quote]

That has no similiarity at all to the problems discussed in this post. I think you better create a new thread.

Some posts above Sam pointed out already that there seems to be too many different problems mixed in this thread.

This thread is about playback issues that seem to go hand in hand with broken image/thumbnail loading.

Did another test with preview images, this time on my webdav share with pictures. Again when i scroll through the thumbs too fast they stop loading.
some (repeating) lines from my kodi.log:
ERROR: Process error processing job cacheimage WARNING: COMXImageFile::GetCodingType progressive images not supported by decoder NOTICE: LoadJpeg: unable to load davs://leaksmy:password@ip:port/path

When I try to open a picture or when the screensaver pops up and I press a button to leave it, OSMC makes a sad face and restarts. This may not be related ofc.

Also tested again for the wallpaper folder on my sdcard. Now i can not reproduce the thumbnails stop loading problem, though when i try to open a picture it makes the sad face restart as well…

NOTICE: LoadJpeg: unable to load /home/osmc/Pictures/wallpapers/foo.jpg

EDIT: weird, i can not reproduce the thumbnail-loading problem at all right now… scrolling fast through a list with 770 thumbnails of a video addon, no ‘freeze’ as before. The loading of thumbnails is a bit slower than the scrolling (expected) but when I stop the scrolling it catches up. No sound problems, no playback problems. Some silent update?

EDIT2: above sad face problem only happens for progressive JPEGs. @popcornmix you said it is not using the hardware decoder for progressive, but that doesnt mean it should not be working at all, right? Nor crashing…

If you didn’t explicitly accept an update on your system, then no update was installed.

It just means the ARM will decode the JPEG instead. Have you verified your PSU with a multimeter? If the ARM is under load then this could explain your issue.

Yeah well a reboot ‘fixed’ it, meaning the ‘freezes’ are back. :frowning:
Discovered a pattern though:
After a reboot I get the thumbnail/sound ‘freezing’
After a sad face restart I do NOT get thumbnail/sound ‘freezing’

I do not think this it is a power related problem. I mean the CPU is on 100% most of the time in the GUI still that problems do not occur randomly .

Need to make more tests what exactly causes the sad face and what not.
Here a debug log (hopefully free of my passwords… :wink: ):
http://paste.osmc.io/oduqawiwip.vhdl

If the CPU is 100%, this may not be enough to stress the power supply. If the CPU is 100 % constantly, then you have a separate issue that needs investigating alone.

But if the GPU is decoding some JPEGS via the GPU (i.e. non-progressive) and you have CPU at 100%, then you are exercising CPU and RIL components, which is likely to induce higher power consumption, and could cause a crash.

If you can, a quick measure with a multimeter, or letting us know which PSU you are using could clarify that.

Check out texturecache.py on the Kodi forums to precahe images. This may fix your problem.

Well usage depends on where in the GUI I am. Its not 100% constantly like it used to be in raspbmc tho.

And power failure can cause a sad face restart? Or stop sound playing and break image loading while otherwise still working? And not occur after a restart (but after a reboot)?

Thanks, i’ll take a look later.

@sam_nazarko measured voltage between TP1 and TP2 is around 4.60V

I wonder, what could be different after a restart than after a reboot? If its a voltage problem it must be effected from that.

At the moment im struggling to reproduce the sad face. Now it just hangs up with a black screen when i try to open a picture. Before, it did open the image and then restarted when I pressed the back button…
Notice again a sound freeze and incomplete thumbnail list before it blacks out on opening the picture.

EDIT: remembered i had switched the PSU a while ago, that i had been using for the pi all the time with no problems, so now I tried the old one again. But OSMC is still ‘freezing’…

So you have the undervoltage icon displayed, I assume?

Undervoltage only shows on B+ or later

Not sufficient. Use a proper power supply. This should really be the first thing you fix before looking at anything else.

This one has been working quite fine for all the years I have used this pi with RaspBMC and then OSMC. :hushed:

Now tested another one, which gives ~4,97V on the Pi.
But unfortunatly it doesnt change anything: same thumbnail/sound ‘freeze’ problems as before

Did you take a look at my log file? Any clues?

A new clue
In my case the issue appears in two different moments:

1. Always than I browse quickly the movies or tv show lists
  2. Always than I finish to see a movie or episode and I return to a previous menu

And this is the clue:
I’ve uninstalled the SMB server from the App Store and now the point #1 is totally solved, I can browse lists quickly and works perfectly and point #2 only happens some times (I don’t know if it is randomly or there is a pattern, I’m gonna do more tests and try to figure it out)

1 Like

Looks like I can confirm this. Uninstalled SMB server, rebooted and the ‘freezeing’ is gone.

(why does it take so long to uninstall? first its downloading then updating then removing )

Don’t think I ever had this. (EDIT: note this 1. in the quote is actually a 2. , the forum software seems to mess it up…)

Uninstalling the smb server worked for me too! Thanks for the tip! But actually the smb server had never been installed on my pi1. So I installed it, rebooted, uninstalled it, rebooted and suddenly everything works again! All thumbnails are rendered correctly, no freezing etc. Still I’m a bit suspicious so I’ll watch how it will behave and report if it breaks again. But up to know it seems to work.

So I took one of the problem B+ Pi’s and installed OpenElec 6.95.3 which is running kodi 16.1 setup exactly as one of my OSMC pi’s. I got the same issue not straight away but after playing a few TV shows and returning to the list, banners were missing then system was unresponsive to remote commands. I had to ssh in and reboot.

So problem not limited to OSMC. Does this point to Jarvis issues?

Cheers
Spart

Just to be sure can you try LibreELEC 7. That is a little newer than OpenELEC which is still in beta.

Can you explain exactly what you need to do from a clean install to trigger the issue?
Please change as few settings and install as few add-ons as possible to make the setup easily repeatable.