April update xboxdrv not working

Raspi 1:

Unable to use xbox controller, i tried following commands:

Error couldn’t claim the USB interface: LIBUSB_ERROR_BUSY
Try to run ‘rmmod xpad’ and then xboxdrv again or start xboxdrv with the option --detach-kernel-driver.
– try the commands
rmmod: ERROR: Module xpad is not currently loaded
Try to run ‘rmmod xpad’ and then xboxdrv again or start xboxdrv with the option --detach-kernel-driver.

root@osmc:/home/osmc# modprobe xpad
root@osmc:/home/osmc# rmmod xpad
root@osmc:/home/osmc# xboxdrv

root@osmc:/home/osmc# xboxdrv --detach-kernel-driver
Error couldn’t claim the USB interface: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND

If I try the full command to get xboxdrv working with --detach-kernel-driver
[ERROR] USBController::on_write_data(): USB write failure: 12: LIBUSB_TRANSFER_ERROR

Any ideas?

(I saw the update and I navigated with the controller to update, after the update it didn’t work anymore.)

Similar problem. I’m getting

USBController::USBController(): libusb_open() failed: LIBUSB_ERROR_ACCESS

I was fine before the update, now the xbox controllers are all kinds of messed up.

Same here. Every thing was fine before update. And now osmc randomly freezes. Hyperion will only work during play back, not with the menu screens.

I rolled back to the previous kernel and xboxdrv is working again as it was before the update.

sudo apt-get install rbp2-image-4.4.3-3-osmc --reinstall

I’m on a RaspberryPi 3, btw.

osmc@osmc:~$ cat /proc/version 
Linux version 4.4.3-3-osmc (root@rpi2) (gcc version 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 1 15:51:08 UTC 2016

Something must have gone funky with xboxdrv and libusb in the 4.4.6-3 kernel. I wonder if it’s specific to RPI?

1 Like

You can roll back? Is it a fresh start?
Couldn’t wait… It worked! Back to normal!!
Thanks man!

When you reinstall the previous kernel, it should just update that package. Other packages should still be current (i.e. Kodi 16.1). So its not a fresh start. Hopefully apt-get would warn you if there were any dependency problems (i.e. if something required the latest kernel). Xboxdrv worked for me once I rolled back, so hopefully it doesn’t cause any new problems.

Thanks for the tip! Is there a list somewhere with the releases? A quick google didn’t do the trick.
Looking for the version before september, somewhere around that time they introduced the random freezing bug and for some reason the old image I installed auto updated to a newer version now I just replug the pi when it crashes. If I could downgrade like this, that would have saved me alot of time.

woops downgrade found symbolic links
booted into a black screen. damn.

Here is one way to get a list of the available rpi kernels in the repo

apt-cache search . |grep image

Here are the current ones

rbp1-image-4.4.6-3-osmc - Linux kernel binary image for version 4.4.6-3-osmc
rbp2-image-4.4.3-3-osmc - Linux kernel binary image for version 4.4.3-3-osmc
rbp2-image-4.4.6-3-osmc - Linux kernel binary image for version 4.4.6-3-osmc

Doesn’t seem like there is an older 4.4.3-3 for rpi1, so I’m not sure how you’d roll back on that hardware.

Linux version 4.1.5-1-osmc (root@rpi2) (gcc version 4.9.2 (Raspbian 4.9.2-10) ) #1 PREEMPT Wed Aug 19 22:08:45 UTC 2015

installed august image this is the cat /proc/version output

@mrcake
Edit: or @jayOnJava

sudo apt-get install rbp2-image-4.1.5-1-osmc --reinstall

Will this get me back to august?

I wouldn’t try it on rpi1 if you like your configuration :smiley:

Pi2 is what I’m working with. I am pretty sure it will work but just wanted to ask.
Edit: didn’t work

Hi

Can you tell me:

• The earliest kernel version that worked with xboxdrv. An image like 2016.02-4 would also be good.
  • journalctl of an OSMC where it works
  • journalctl of an OSMC where it doesn’t work

I have an Xbox 360 controller that is wired. Will I be able to use this with XBOXDRV to test? If so, can someone give me a quick rundown of how I can get it running.

Thanks

Sam

These are 2 places that got me started.

I never had any problems with Octobers update last year.

I could give you a journalctl of it not working but it will be a while as I am pull 12 hour shifts this week. Maybe someone else can help? Thanks for looking into it. I opened the issue.

Don’t post logs in threads, use paste.osmc.io, paste-log or grab-logs tools.

Please edit your post

I have no idea if aforementioned log is before, or after it worked. Either way, I need both.

It is from xboxdrv not working, as I mentioned in the previous post. My apologies. Anyways I tried. I cannot get both journals for maybe two weeks. I’ll edit my post. Didn’t know about paste.osmc.io sorry. Cheers.
Edit for grammar

Hi,

I used this guide [How-to] Xbox 360 Controller OSMC to install my wired controller.
It still works after the April update but the lights on my controller keeps blinking which is a little bit annoying when using it in my bedroom.

Floris

Is xboxdrv still working on latest kernel?

Getting errors

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo xboxdrv
xboxdrv 0.8.5 - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/
Copyright © 2008-2011 Ingo Ruhnke grumbel@gmx.de
Licensed under GNU GPL version 3 or later http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.

Controller: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Vendor/Product: 045e:0291
USB Path: 001:004
Wireless Port: 0
Controller Type: Xbox360 (wireless)

– [ ERROR ] ------------------------------------------------------