Are there general sound/video info resources available?

Hello,

I just got my Vero 4K+ connected to my UHD HDR TV (LG OLED55C77V).

Everything works fine on a basic level, but the more I read the forums for advanced config tips, the more I am aware I ignore… I have some basic questions, like…

• How do I know if an HDR file is 10 or 8 bits encoded?
  • How do I know if my TV is playing them as 10 or 8 bits HDR?
  • What is the best audio config for my setup?
  • Actually, what’s better… using audio passthrough (I guess this lets my TV handle the audio as best as it can), or have the 4K+ decode it…?

As you can see, there are many basic questions there (and more)… so, I’d appreciate, if not direct answers, links or tips to general AV basic wiki or tutorials to get the main ideas straight.

Thanks in advance

Arturo

1 Like

Tom,

Thanks for the link… OMG, I really need to apologize, I had searched all over the wiki page, but was not at all of the wiki thread in these forums… sorry. I will surely find there most answers, and thanks a lot for your help.

Mediainfo is your friend

Please see the mediainfo section in How to submit a useful support request - General - OSMC.

That varies based on the TV. Read your manual, or just search the menus.

Thanks for the answer!

As for the TV I will research at my TV users groups, since I found nothing in the manual or menus… that level of detail is not on the info the tv provides while playing

It’s possible that the TV will not show that info. Are you connected via an AVR? If so the AVR may be able to show that info.

I own a B6 OLED, if HDR is correctly being passed through to your display, an HDR badge should show up in the upper right corner. Same goes for Dolby Vision.

I imagine you just have the TV without a soundbar or receiver? I would look up the highest format the TV supports, and have the Vero / Kodi decode that format. At the very minimum, your TV should support Dolby Digital Plus / DTS-HD, as that is the biggest difference between the 2016 and 2017 LG OLEDs. I don’t know if the TV can natively decode Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD MA. FYI, Dolby Digital / DTS is a lower form of compressed audio so if your TV can decode DD+, it can decode DD.

Actually, according to this, the TV can support TrueHD / DTS-HD MA.

In that case, you would set in System → Audio: Enable Passthrough and tick on all the options up to and including Dolby TrueHD.

In any case, if your TV doesn’t support that format, you can disable that level and work your way down. For example, if your TV doesn’t support TrueHD, disable TrueHD and Kodi / OSMC will passthrough everything up to Dolby Digital Plus (aka E-AC-3), and will convert TrueHD to LPCM, IIRC. LPCM is something any TV should be able to handle, as it’s just Linear PCM audio, an open standard.

1 Like

No AVR… yes, it seems the TV does not show the detail on the HDR encoding it is using, afaik… or as far I have been too determine

Thanks

Thanks for the thorugh answer… It’s really clarifying regarding sound.

As for the HDR, yes the HRD badge shows as you indicate… my doubt was raised by a different thread that informed that 10bit HDR was being displayed as 8bit HDR, and that is what I wanted to check… I am not finding a way to determine what I am getting:

and

Anyway, still lots of reading to do before I understando what is going on here… :wink:

Thanks for the tips