Atmos issues

it’s seems the root cause is ffmpeg, and the fix is here: https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/commitdiff/36e156bef02566d70cea46cc5e00b3e5d5ed3286

but kodi devs says it will be a while before it is ported into kodi

is it possible to patch ffmpeg on OSMC’s side?

Patching ffmpeg is not enough.

oh…so it’s just a waiting game till kodi devs port it in?

There are changes needed for both ffmpeg and Kodi.

My body is ready. So ready.

Still ready. Just letting you know.

looks like 18.6 was released

18.6 has been tagged but not yet released. We will get an update out soon, but this won’t fix the Atmos issues.

Sob…

Just for everyone’s information… The git issue for this is to be found here, if you’d like to follow the progress: Kodi 18.4 crashes with high bitrate TrueHD+Atmos audio stream · Issue #16704 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

As you can see, the Kodi dev working on this is also working on ffmpeg and so far only the crashing issue has been fixed in Kodi. The rest is still WIP. Until the Kodi issue isn’t solved and a fix merged in, there won’t be a fix for us here at OSMC either.

1 Like

It’s crazy how long this issue has been going on. I wonder why there’s an apparent lack of urgency by Kodi devs to address it?

Maybe because Disney is creating out-of-spec audio? It’s Disney who you should be complaining to.

Who says it’s out of spec?

Keep in mind that devs are doing this in their free time. So, although this might be high on the list, you never know how much time devs can spare. Don’t judge them the same way you’d judge those that would be paid for it and who you’d expect results from pretty quickly after they start working on an issue.

Be assured, the dev working on this as well as all of us would love to see this fixed, I’m sure. But it will take the time it takes.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331044&pid=2726825#pid2726825

I hear you about spare time etc, but this has been an issue for what? Two years?

Also, I don’t see any information in that thread about Atmos bitrate being “out of spec.” Just that it’s high.

I’d be happy to throw money at whomever it is to fix this issue, because it’s a bit of a joke at this stage that it’s not been fixed. Again, this isn’t finger pointing at the OSMC team in anyway as I understand it’s not your issue.

Is there any evidence of UHD Bluray players having the same issue?

I believe, that says it all. The spec is not clear and/or not public, so open source projects did already do a great job at making it work before. This one is just tricky.

Standalone, commercial disc players don’t have this issue as the manufacturers probably know parts of the spec nobody else does know.

Well, you are pointing fingers then. At everyone else than you and implicitly at the devs working on this. So, I’d be careful about this. With open source, it’s not about money. Nobody is asking for anyone to throw it at them and as the nature of open source is that people work on this in their free time and out of their own interest, saying things like these as well as “throwing money” at people who should fix this fast, won’t make the slightest difference except appearing not very understanding and impatient. The result: people won’t be that inclined anymore to actually work on it. From my own experience I can say that working in open source is partly own motivation and partly feedback from users and some appreciation. I’d not do a thing here for money - that’d be the complete opposite of my own motivation. Keep that in mind when talking to devs and making your wishes (that are your right to express) known.

There is progress as we can see in the Kodi issue. We all just have to be patient.

2 Likes

The spec not being known is not the same as “out of spec.”

And yes, I can easily be patient, and I very much have been. It’s not like this issue surfaced in the last week and I’m demanding a fix within 24 hours. I’m pretty sure it’s been about two years since I brought this up. Two years!

And honestly, I’m not trying to insult anyone by offering to pay to have an issue fixed. It’s like I can’t win. If I’m patient and never bring it up - it’s like it’s not a big deal and developers will likely focus on other tasks. If I do bring it up then I’m being pushy. If I offer to pay for a fix then it’s insulting because open source etc blah blah. Can’t win.

I just think, - thinking out loud, that it’s really shitty that one can’t watch any recent UHD Disney movies with Atmos. That’s a lot of damn movies!

To be clear, it’s not about being unappreciative. I know I’ve bought and donated more than the average person. I believe greatly in the OSMC project. I’d just also like to watch some Disney movies on my multiple Vero 4K+ at their best quality! :slight_smile:

Really interesting. Does it break apart at the ripping stage or the playback stage?

Playback. And there’s no issue on the original UHD on e.g. my Oppo or XBOX ONE X.