AVR Onkyo TX-RZ820, DTS-HD HRA/Hi Res Passthrough Issue

HRA works for me 100% now. Maybe its amp specific, I have Yamaha.

It most definitely is… It’s an issue we’ve seen so far with lower-end Denon and some Onkyo AVRs which have Cirrus Logic DSPs. Yamaha doesn’t use any chipsets from Cirrus Logic, so your issue was probably caused by the general passthrough problems that we tried to fix.
Whether the Denon/Onkyo HRA issues will ever be fixed: No idea, but it might be unlikely. :man_shrugging:t2:

Lets not hope so … even only the DTS core would be alot better then now with very low static sounds :cry:

I can confirm that my Denon AVR-X3400H still won’t play DTS-HD HRA sound. Running the 80 kernel update which I believe to be the latest. If I disable pass through it plays back flawlessly so it’s not a total loss. Cirrus Logic DSP definitely has something to do with this issue.

1 Like

As I understand it, if you pass through DTS-HRA your AVR will not pick out the core from it. You need to disable DTS HiRes passthrough so kodi decodes it to PCM. That should be better than core.

That’s a workaround which will allow you to at least be able to playback HRA in some way. The real bummer about this Cirrus Logic f**k up is that many non-English, secondary DTS:X tracks on (UHD) Blu-rays are based on a DTS-HD HRA core. So, those DTS:X tracks will not work under any circumstance as the AVRs can’t decode the core and therefore not the 3D metadata either. And most of the affected AVRs are 3D audio-capable ones :see_no_evil: :man_shrugging:t2:

What’s interesting is that consumer bluray players can bitstream to those same cirrus dsp chipsets without issue. So the question is what are they doing differently that the AVR’s can pick up the bitstream from native players but not the Vero 4K? It seems like detecting the bitstream audio format is not happening with DTS-HD HRA streams. Very odd indeed.

1 Like

@Ronnick: Just a quick idea. Could you power-down your AVR while playing DTS-HD HRA material with the Vero 4k, wait some seconds and power-up the Denon, again?

I will give it a try. At work ATM but will report back when I’m home.

That is indeed a good question, but finding the difference or the workaround those standalone Blu-ray players utilize to make this work might be very hard to nail down… So, although this sounds trivial, it might be near impossible to figure out. Especially as companies like Denon are not willing to help.

Just to set the expectations right: I expect this not to work since even a Sony AVR will not re-capture the audio after it is powered up, again.

If you can let me ‘only’ disable DTS-HD HRA so DTS-HD MA still works perfectly … that would sure be a solution for now.

Agreed. That would entail having to detect it in the first place which I believe to be the issue. But yes, having DTS-HD HRA decoded in the Vero4k and output as PCM automatically would be ideal in light of the cirrus dsp issue.

We can keep this request in mind and see what can be done. We’ll keep you posted, if there’s any progress related to this :+1:t2:

Ok so in my limited testing, as stated above, setting audio to fixed gets me pcm 7.1 which is good. But there is static in the surrounds, multiple plays and it’s always there so that’s not gonna work. I also tried turning off AVR and restarting whilst the file was playing with my normal best match setting and no audio output still. AVR says input audio unknown. Denon AVR-X3400H. Definitely midline and cirrus dsp on this particular receiver. My older sherbourn pre/pro also has a cirrus dsp and had the same issue so I appreciate all of the attention to try to resolve this HRA issue. But for me, honestly, everything else works great so I’m not losing sleep over the HRA bitstream issues. If I have a file with HRA I will just disable pass through and be just fine. Thanks again for looking into this issue though…very classy bunch of folks helping out in the forums.

We’re aware of that - it’s a different issue with PCM playback that we’re working on as well :see_no_evil:

Just to understand this correctly: It did say “unknown” before you turned it off and back on again as well? Or did this change from before turning it off and on to after?

It becomes more and more clear that it’s definitely about Cirrus Logic DSPs. The problem for us is: We don’t know what those DSPs are doing differently or what has to be done differently by the source device to enable those DSPs to work properly (neither companies like Denon nor Cirrus Logic have properly commented on the issue or even gone so far as to offer help or advice)…
We know that there are devices that are said to work with affected AVRs and DTS-HD HRA without issues (e.g. the Sony X800 UHD BD player has been mentioned on the forum). But what we don’t know is what they’re doing differently at this point. :man_shrugging:t2: So, you might see why we’re struggling to grasp the issue and therefore what we could do to solve it, if there’s anything we can actually do. But we’ll keep trying.

Yes it was reported as unknown both before and after the AVR restart. I’m well aware of the issue with cirrus. Without seeing the inner working code, it is almost impossible to see what trickery being employed to allow the above mentioned Sony 4K Bluray player to bitstream properly. I do however appreciate all of the collective testing to attemp to resolve this rather small issue with HRA bitstreamed audio. I am willing to continue testing further so don’t hesitate if you need further testing.

Thank you for your willingness to help and the information you’ve provided! We’ll keep you and this thread posted :+1:t2:

Perfect!

There’s some success with pc guys sorting out the issue with HRA and Denon AVR’s over at GitHub. Here is the link to the discussion. Might be of some help.

1 Like