Backup failed to copy Tar file Vero 4K

Will do! I will get back after I reproduced this.

So:

The last backups were created in early October (last was the 5th)

The setting is set to check for updates daily and create a backup

The nfs share can be browsed from the backup menu

Basically whatever schedules the updates either doesn’t run or the backups don’t work

I’ve not had the error message for a while ( matching the last backup files)

I chose to manually create a backup now with debug logs set to enabled.

Result: backup was created successfully

Maybe the update check is broken instead?

I’ll still attach the logs

https://paste.osmc.tv/eficaqawad

I performed another reboot last night, this morning the schedule for the update check worked again / the backup copy failed again.

I think the issue is that the backup only takes places when an updates is scheduled, however the scheduled update options are only prompt or show icon, but not actually “do.” Therefore there’s no trigger to do a backup. Mine is the same, however manual backups do work.

Are you still having this issue as I am too and wondering if you got a fix working?

I am seeing the message as well, but it is random and the backup is actually being made.

It is still broken, backups do not work, the message still appears. I did not want to bug the devs but I would appreciate some feedback if we can assist in getting this sorted out.

Same issue here, Dirk, and it’s pretty ridiculous. Using my Kodi/OSMC raspberry pi, I can browse my NAS via smb for my media files, and I can browse for the backup folder via nfs, but the backup file won’t copy the tar file. Oddly enough, I used to be able to try browsing other locations for the backup folder, but now I can only browse through my NAS via nfs, unlike samba as I was initially using when this issue developed. I thought it was an issue with samba, but clearly it’s a bigger issue than that…

But on the other foot… My backups now work, they appear to be on random days, but they are there on the attached USB drive. I do still have to install updates manually.

OSMC will never update without your permission, so you would always have to confirm that you want to install updates.

You can configure to download updates automatically however.

1 Like

Updates are not an issue for me, it is literally the same issue as originally reported. Backups fail. In addition, the check for updates (and the therefore the automated backups) also stop after a few days. After a reboot OSMC tries again, and fails. Can I provide troubleshooting information, Sam?

If OSMC is failing to update, then you may not be on the latest version. I haven’t seen reports of this so would suggest providing logs.

I was replying to @Aggrajag however.

1 Like

FWIW, on a fresh 2021-11-2 install I am still having an issue with “backup failed to copy Tar file”. Paths are correct as I am able to retore from a previous backup. Vero4K with backup to NAS vis NFS.

Edit
A fresh reboot seems to allow backup to copy. Not sure how long before it fails again.

Just an update, tried a backup today and it failed. Not sure what’s causing the issue but for now a reboot seems to temporarily allow a backup. Not a panic to get this fixed Sam, as the reboot workaround gets the expected results.