Backup of parameters failed

Hi there,
I use a Vero 4k to read contents of my NAS. I have set a daily backup of the parameters in a directory of the NAS. Everything was good, but since a few days (I can’t say when) the directory stays empty, whereas before I had files named OSMCBACKUP_YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS.tar.gz.
Here’s my parameters:

(sorry for the poor quality)
The set directory is found when I navigate to this directory.
Is there a way to know why the backup no longer works? I don’t know what to see.
Thank you for your help.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Hello,
Here’s the link for the logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/uwudocekuk
Thank you for your help.

The logs might be more insightful if they spanned when a backup was attempting to run. I would suggest to turn debug logging on, tell it to manually run a backup, and then upload logs again.

Additionally, note that you are running a rather old version of OSMC. You should consider updating.

I have updated the system (now in 2022.03-1 version).
The manual backup generates the file OSMCBACKUP_2022_07_30_16_14_26.tar.gz. It is the automatic backup that fails.
New logs link: https://paste.osmc.tv/eqasazimos

Any idea?

Hi there,
Every morning, when I switch on the Vero 4K, it displays this message:
“Backup failed to copy tha tar file”.
Anyone knows why/when this error is raised?

I have had a look into the log files but I see strange things which do not help: You activated debug logging but the omsc backup immediatelly following this action does not log additional information although it should.
So, let’s retry to create a helpful log set with the standard logging method:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Hello,
How to “reproduce the issue”?
The topic is the automatic backup, so I don’t know what to do, neither how the backup is done.

So, activate the debug logging, reboot the device twice … and then wait for the next morning when you you see the problem. After you’ve seen the error message, upload the logs … I hope this is not too big in size.

Hello,
I’ve activated the logs and made the double reboot yesterday. Now I wait the error displayed, to send the log.
One question: is it normal that after the reboots, there is no log displayed in the top left corner? When I activated them, I saw this message, bur they disappeared after the reboots. I ask to be sure I make everything well.

Debug logging sometimes gets disabled when you reboot. If you have enabled using the UI that overlay will always show if it is enabled. If you need to run debug for an extended period of time and want to not have it shown you can force debug on and hide the overlay by using an advancedsetting.xml file. If you do this just make sure to remember to remove it after your done testing.

I’ve just see the error message, so here’s the logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/orezofufov
I hope something will be interesting in them, let me know.
Thank you for your help.

11 17:31:34 osmc mediacenter[2394]: cp: cannot create regular file 'nfs://192.168.1.220/volume1/video/temp/OSMCBACKUP/OSMCBACKUP_2022_08_11_17_31_26.tar.gz': No such file or directory

Well, debugging was not active, again. So, darwindesgin’s suggestion to activate it in the avancedsettings.xml seems to be right way.

But … at the moment just speculating but I think this could be related

means if you already have opened the advancedsettings.xml you could insert a block like

<network>
  <nfstimeout>60</nfstimeout>
</network>

in hope this solves your problem.

Is your NAS a Synology which hibernates/sleeps after some time due to the energy saving settings? My Syno DS214se requires around 35 seconds to wake up again when being accessed in such sleep mode.

Hello
Yes my NAS goes to sleep when it’s unused. It’s the parameter by default, I’ve never changed it because it fits me.
I’ve created the file /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml, and put inside:

<advancedsettings version="1.0">
    <network>
    </network>
</advancedsettings>

I’ve read cerafully the documentation, I hope I understand well and did as It should.
I will tell you if it work tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Make another log and take a look at the beginning of the kodi log. You should see it spit out the contents of the system level advancedsettings.xml directly followed by the one you made. If there is an error instead or directly following then you have a problem. That looks to be correct to me though.

1 Like

Indeed, I see this:

====================== advancedsettings.xml =================== C7hKmH1p
<advancedsettings version="1.0">
    <network>
    </network>
</advancedsettings>

---------------------- advancedsettings.xml END --------------- C7hKmH1p

Complete logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/okupigipux
I wait for tonight, to see if I still have the error, and I’ll check if the backup file exists (I’ve never understood at xhat time the backup was made, I have multiple hour in the names of the files).
I’ll keep you infirmed.

INFO <general>: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata
INFO <general>: No settings file to load (special://masterprofile/advancedsettings.xml)

That is strange: I can’t see anything which respects your new advancedsettings.xml. Are you sure it is placed at folder /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata?

Did you forget to reboot the device or restart the mediacenter/kodi?

How do you shutdown/reboot the Vero? I do not see proper shutdown messages at all but instead indications of a file system to be corrected

osmc fsck: E2fsck run: /bin/e2fsck -p -C 0 /dev/vero-nand/root
osmc fsck: Filesystem UUID: 77d16df1-78ec-4fa6-9cd0-2307fcc809f4
osmc fsck: Filesystem UUID: 77d16df1-78ec-4fa6-9cd0-2307fcc809f4
osmc fsck: Superblock last mount time is in the future.
osmc fsck: (by less than a day, probably due to the hardware clock being incorrectly set)
osmc fsck: Setting free inodes count to 877473 (was 877474)
osmc fsck: Setting free blocks count to 3125558 (was 3125547)
osmc fsck: /dev/vero-nand/root: clean, 52767/930240 files, 590538/3716096 blocks

I forgot to reboot.
The file is:

osmc@osmc:~$ ls -alt /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advanced*
-rw-r--r-- 1 osmc osmc 118 août  11 22:55 /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
osmc@osmc:~$

I’ve just rebooted, new logs are available at: https://paste.osmc.tv/vesopafivu

mhhh, it stays the same, the file is ignored by the mediacenter:

INFO <general>: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: /home/osmc/.kodi/userdata
INFO <general>: No settings file to load (special://masterprofile/advancedsettings.xml)

@darwindesign any idea what happens here?

sorry, whatever I saw before, all is fine