Black screen after installing OSMC on pi 4

Hello, I have tried to install OSMC multiple times with different SD cards on my pi 4 but every time on the initial boot after setup is complete my screen loses the source and I get a blank screen.

If I turn off and reboot I see the screen for a few seconds before I lose the source. I have tested using different TV´s and monitors.

I tried following the steps advised in the FAQ
sudo systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/.kodi-backup
sudo systemctl start mediacenter

My logs are :https://paste.osmc.tv/igibalodex

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I faced a similar issue myself. I fixed it by doing a full reboot of my TV (and if you use an audio receiver, reboot it too).

By full reboot, I mean unplug the power on your tv/receiver, count to ten then restore power, and turn on how you normally do.

Leave your pi powered on the entire time.

But, if you have tried on different TV’s this may be a different issue.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, it doesn´t seem to be the same issue as a full reboot isn´t resolving. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of it soon.

Have you tried the other HDMI port?
I use the one closest to the USB-C Power port.

Yes I’m also using the one closest to the power supply but I have also tried swapping them just in case.

Your EDID is reporting only a resolution of 640x480 and Kodi tries to display 1280x720 and fails.
You could try another HDMI cable, if that doesn’t help you would need to create a working EDID.

====================== Pi EDID =================== wes0DM2l
state 0x120009 [HDMI DMT (4) RGB full 4:3], 640x480 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

---------------------- Pi EDID END --------------- wes0DM2l
2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can get hold of another cable.

I have to ask: are you using a HDMI-microHDMI cable or a normal HDMI cable with an adapter? We seem to getting a lot of RPi4 HDMI issues.

I’m using a HDMI-Micro HDMI cable. Have you seen more issues with one over the other?

Yours is the first datapoint. I would expect a cable to be more reliable than a cable + adapter. I would be wary of adapters - it must be easy to damage the socket with them.

Hello, just to update on this. I couldn’t find a new cable as I live in Malta and we don’t seem to have them but I did find an adapter which worked :grinning:

OSMC now works both on a monitor and the TV.

Thank you @fzinken for your help with the logs and @grahamh

1 Like