Blu Ray menus

You can try that file on a Windows install of Kodi and if the problem is present there you could report it upstream.

I’ve read the thread, but I’m not sure now.
What is the current status with Java and JRE in the current OSMC?
Must Java/JRE always be installed separately later?
If so, how exactly?
Is there a current manual for the installation of Java/JRE on OSMC and Vero V?
Many thanks for your answers.

It seems to be working for the most part. Some disks might require you to disable hardware acceleration to make the menus display correctly.

Yes

No guide has been written yet that I’m aware of. Sam posted in this thread how to temporarily enable the test builds. Do that and then install updates. After that there should be an option to install Java from the app section of the My OSMC add-on. Once you have installed that it should just work other than some navigation issues. I posted above a keymap you can add to fix that. If you don’t know how to add a keymap you can go through my long-press keymap guide in our wiki and that should give you enough info for that task.

1 Like

Java can be installed without a test build. However a compatible libbluray library is only in staging for now.

The next update (end of 2023) will make sure that everything is distributed out of the box with the exception of Java.

I’ve recently done a complete OSMC reinstall on my Vero 4K+, and the option to install Java is present in MyOSMC without enabling test builds. The installation does error, and you get a fresh error every time you do an update - I sorted that thanks to a suggestion from joakim_s:

I haven’t actually got around to testing this on a disc menu yet!

EDIT: ninja’ed by Sam. Oh well.

1 Like

This will be fixed shortly - bad packaging expectation by Debian’s JRE maintainer

1 Like

OK, what exactly does staging mean?

The “staging repository” is where OSMC test builds are held. So if you “enable staging” that means you are updating to the latest (potentially unstable) test build of OSMC rather than updating to the latest fully tested release.

Thanks @angry.sardine

All right, then I’ll wait for the next OSMC update at the end of 2023.
This will include a compatible libbluray library, right?
JRE then only needs to be installed via My OSMC → App Store and installing ‘Java Runtime Environment’, right?
Can the new remote control codes from @mthawk also be included in the next OSMC update at the end of 2023?

1 Like

Yes.

Correct.

The remote changes suggested by @darwindesign would need more testing before they can be included by default. There should also be a discussion whether it’s suitable to merge those changes for all installations.

Thanks a lot
Will it be added to the agenda?
Are you testing it?
Who is it being discussed with?

I am not testing it myself, no, and there is no agenda per se.

This forum is consensus lead, so if it makes sense to implement the changes, they’ll be added. But of course, nothing stops you from making these changes yourself.

It is probably just mostly me giving Sam the changes with some assurance that I didn’t do something stupid. As of right now I have only gotten feedback on that tweek from one person. Although I know the ramifications of those changes, without more feedback, including potential negative reaction on how it also affects DVD menus, I’m hesitant to suggest this change as it would not just affect OSMC users, but everyone using an OSMC remote in Kodi on all Linux based distros.

1 Like

Is this a bug in Kodi and has it been reported to the Kodi team?
If not, would it be possible for you to report it to the Kodi team?

I had done some more digging since I typed that and it would seem the people who have been involved in adding this feature are fully aware of the situation. It isn’t a bug from what I understand, but rather a limitation. The way keymapping works is that you direct button presses to actions in specific windows. For example, your playing a video and you hit the right direction button in fullscreenvideo and that is mapped to smallskipstep (don’t quote me on the proper name since I’m just going off the top of my head) for easy video navigation. You then press the enter button in fullscreenvideo and that brings up the videoosd window. In this window the right direction button switches to navigate right and the enter button performs selection duties. The ability to have contextual actions is quite important in this regard.

As I understand it Kodi currently lacks the support to draw these types of menus as a separate overlay so what is happening is the key presses are being forwarded to the code that is drawing the video and menus together and then they come back into Kodi as a single window which then does not allow for the regular keymapping situation where you can target specific windows for different actions. I had read on the Kodi forums that one of the people working on this tried for like a year off and on to develop a reliable method of feedback to know if there was a menu overlay shown so the normal behavior could be emulated and they could not figure out a way. So, what I did is figure out what I think is the most intuitive way to tweak the mappings to fit within the limitation. The person who coded this for Android has a very different mapping they suggested for people to use and I just can’t see the logic in requiring people to remember unintuitive long-press action as they envisioned. I think what I came up with works quite well but I’m open to suggestions from anyone who has figured out something better and tested it themselves.

On a related note I have now submitted an alternate keymap that includes these bluray mapping tweaks that should be in staging in the coming days and included in the next general release. This will only include mapping for the OSMC remotes (I purposely left out the CEC mappings I included in my post above) and will not be loaded by default. You will be able to enable this keymap by going to settings>system>input>peripherals>OSMC RF Remote> and changing “Keymap to use for this device” from “osmc” to “osmc-br” and then reboot. One will be able to return to the previous keymap at any time by changing the name back to just “osmc”.

1 Like

This change has now been merged in to staging and built, so is ready for user testing.

I’ve been having plenty of fun with my new Vero V lately and trying different things.

I essential remux everything but I have a few titles I did as folders because they use seamless branching to provide two different cuts of the movie and having two separate remuxes just feels like a waste of space.

Anyway, I want to try out installing Java on the V to see how it handles these titles but I saw that a few kinks were still being worked out.
Are we at a point now where it can just be installed through the My OSMC app store?

And does it make any difference in behavior or performance if I do ISOs or Folders?
I would prefer to do an ISO so it’s just one file (keep the inode usage down :P) but I’ll do Folders if that’s better some how.

I moved your post as there didn’t seem to be a need for a new thread when a relevant topic is only a few days old.

It works with iso’s or folders. There doesn’t seem to be much feedback yet on how well it does or doesn’t work. You still need to switch to test builds as explained up a few posts and tweak your keymap. You might also have to disable hardware acceleration to make some titles play correctly.

I don’t think there is any downside to trying it out. If you have Kodi set to show simplified menu then you get the option to play with or without the menu.

Almost. I’ll make it part of the next update so that installing through the App Store is indeed the only the step needed.

As to its efficacy, as @darwindesign has stated we haven’t had a tremendous amount of feedback but there shouldn’t be any regressions in including this feature.

Awesome!
I’ll play with it after the next update.