Blue light filter (f.lux, redshift, night mode)

I’d like to request a feature in OSMC that reduces the amount of blue light used in the picture to reduce the sleep quality disturbance of screen time at night. This would function similar to f.lux, redshift, or night mode on other apps.

Unfortunately it’s hard to provide any detail about this because you haven’t told us which device you’re using.

This is a platform specific request however, so it’s unlikely to be part of OSMC any time soon. The best bet would be to request this in Kodi.

Sam

I’m using a Raspberry Pi 3.

Funny you suggest requesting it in Kodi. Someone posted a request to the Kodi forums and was told that this is better suited as an OS feature. This is why I am here requesting it for OSMC. I would have used the f.lux or redshift packages, but these require features that OSMC doesn’t have (X11 I think?).

OSMC uses GLES for Pi.
dispmanx is the windowing server on Pi and you have OMX / MMAL for decode.

It can definitely be done but it would be platform specific.

See Redlight or f.lux?

I saw that thread. It was also part of my motivation for posting under Feature Requests. If it is platform specific, then are you saying it is not possible or worthwhile as a feature?

At risk of derailing, do you have any platform-specific advice? I have been unable to find any way to filter blue light on OSMC. If I had been running Raspbian it seems I’d be able to use f.lux or redshift. I’m not linux savvy enough to figure out a GLES workaround.

Raspbian’s Kodi still uses GLES, so it wouldn’t be possible.
X11 is running but Kodi does not utilise it. If it did, performance would be lacklustre.

I must admit I’m not sure how I would implement this myself at this time. Would you need the video to also use this filter, or would the GUI suffice?

Sam

Ah, forgive my ignorance. Video would be more useful than GUI as video represents the majority of screen time. Let me know if you can figure anything out. I think many people would be happy to have this feature / capability.

2 Likes

With video it’s probably achievable with post processing; but this would be platform specific so possibly hard to achieve.

Just wondering: Would most people really want to alter the video signal to loose most of the blue? This would seriously alter video image quality which most here are probably worried about. :thinking:
Just imagine a movie which is graded mostly with blue color tones… It would look kind of s**t with such a filter. At least that’s my opinion :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I can’t say “most people” would want this. Only people who want to get a good night’s sleep if they regularly watch TV around bed time. I’m not suggesting this as a default, only an option.

In its defense and in response to your point about color quality, most people aren’t purists about video color tones, and I think you’d be surprised at how easy it is to forget there is a video filter on at all. It is even less noticeable when using apps like f.lux that ease the color filter in and out.

The purpose of the blue light filter is to reduce the disruptive effects that blue light has on sleep quality, particularly blue light exposure at night time or bed time. “Night mode” is increasingly becoming a standard feature in many screen-based devices and operating systems (Android, iOS, Kindle), and I think that speaks to its popularity and user interest (not to mention user expectation).

An ideal implementation of this feature, and something that has been part of most “night modes” that I’ve seen, would include a scheduling option to turn the color filter on and off at specific times of the day (i.e., night time), with the on and off “easing in” and “easing out” to make the shift less abrupt.

Nothing new? Shame this feature wasnt builded into OSMC yet. I see it like a basic thing to be there

It might be a basic feature but its implementation certainly wouldn’t be

Do you have a list of video players that offer this functionality with hardware video acceleration? If so, this could be beneficial as we wouldn’t need to reinvent the wheel.

Sam

Meanwhile, why not just choose a ‘warm’ colour balance on your TV.

Exactly what I was thinking Graham.
Why reinvent the wheel?

Why would it be a basic feature in a media player? Is there even one DVD/Bluray/satellite/cable box/PVR or similar device that comes with that feature? I have a computer monitor and a TV that has that function you can turn on. That makes sense as you are manipulating the colors on the display, not the input.

1 Like

If it helps, android has this built in now. It’s called “night light”. I agree it’d be a cool addition though obviously left as an option, preferably with an “hours active”.