Bluetooth issues after March update

Glad I found this topic, this is driving me nuts. I also have this exact same problem. Using Harmony Elite, almost every cold start I lose the Bluetooth pairing. Let me know if I can help with debugging.

Try switching off bluetooth and then back on again.

connmanctl disable bluetooth
connmanctl enable bluetooth
systemctl status sdio-bt-firmware.service

Then copy/paste the output.

Started cold, confirmed Harmony is not working, then issued:

root@nanna:~# connmanctl disable bluetooth
Disabled bluetooth
root@nanna:~# connmanctl enable bluetooth
Enabled bluetooth
root@nanna:~# systemctl status sdio-bt-firmware.service
* sdio-bt-firmware.service - Vero3 Bluetooth support
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/sdio-bt-firmware.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (start) since Fri 2020-03-27 10:23:15 CET; 1s ago
Cntrl PID: 1793 (hciattach)
   CGroup: /system.slice/sdio-bt-firmware.service
           `-1793 /usr/bin/hciattach -s 115200 /dev/ttyS1 bcm43xx 2000000

Mar 27 10:23:15 nanna systemd[1]: Starting Vero3 Bluetooth support...
root@nanna:~#

After this, the Harmony worked.

Not sure if this was intended for me as well, but tried it and harmony worked. Sadly, lost connection again after rebooting.

Just add the first 2 of those 3 commands to your rc.local for now and you have a temporary workaround.

There seems to be some kind of timing/race problem during the startup sequence.

If I add just a 1-second sleep to sdio-bt-firmware.service it works - but still takes a long time to start:

[    6.898662] osmc-4k systemd[1]: Starting Vero3 Bluetooth support...
[   13.287713] osmc-4k systemd[1]: Started Vero3 Bluetooth support.

That’s around 6.4 seconds to start.

Without the 1-second sleep, hciattach times out after 30 seconds.

[   36.558036] osmc-4k systemd[1]: Failed to start Vero3 Bluetooth support.

Can you paste the output of:

sudo systemctl status systemd-rfkill.service

?

Hi

Hopefully the issue is now addressed

I’d appreciate it if you could test this and provide feedback before we potentially release this as an update to other users. To test this update:

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Sam

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo systemctl status systemd-rfkill.service
● systemd-rfkill.service - Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-rfkill.service; static; vendor pr
Active: inactive (dead) since Fri 2020-03-27 14:32:46 GMT; 3h 38min ago
Docs: man:systemd-rfkill.service(8)
Process: 704 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-rfkill (code=exited, status=0/SUCC
Main PID: 704 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Mar 27 14:32:40 osmc systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status…
Mar 27 14:32:41 osmc systemd[1]: Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status.
lines 1-9/9 (END)

Hey Sam. I now know how to log in via the command line but not sure how to go about editing that file…

Don’t worry. I’ve pushed it to the stable repository now as it shouldn’t cause an issue. You should get an update prompt in an hour or so, or you can check manually via My OSMC -> Updates -> Manual Controls -> Check for Updates now. The issue should then be resolved.

If you can report back how it goes that will be great

Fantastic- hope this works. Amazing support as usual.

osmc@osmc-4k:~$ systemctl status systemd-rfkill.service
● systemd-rfkill.service - Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-rfkill.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Fri 2020-03-27 14:27:47 GMT; 3h 51min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-rfkill.service(8)
  Process: 934 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-rfkill (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 934 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Mar 27 14:27:43 osmc-4k systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status...
Mar 27 14:27:43 osmc-4k systemd[1]: Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status.

Thanks. We identified the issue was systemd-rfkill.service and systemd-rfkill.socket not being masked as it should have been. Your output confirms this was the case on your system.

1 Like

Working perfectly now. Thank you again!

1 Like

Great, thanks for confirming.

Hi Sam. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Bluetooth pairing with harmony remote seems to have broken again. Oddly enough, my brother just called asking for help with his vero4k - he was just seeing a black screen and his harmony remote wouldn’t control anything (but it was controlling all other devices in his setup without issue). I got him to pull the plug on his router, harmony hub and vero. Vero rebooted - he said the vero wouldn’t even reboot before this when he tried pulling the plug. I then opened my iOS harmony app as a reference to guide him through re-pairing his remote. As soon as I did this, my own harmony remote stopped working. ‘Harmony Keyboard’ icon under paired devices turned red and remains that way, having removed the device in myosmc Bluetooth settings and successfully (although temporarily) repaired again. Since the update you pushed a few days ago I haven’t had a single issue until now. So strange. Hope you can help. Thanks.

And now the harmony seems to have paired properly and is working again, having not done anything since it was unresponsive.

That doesn’t sound right. Is he able to upload some logs?
The Bluetooth issue was caused by a race condition at bootup, but it should be largely resolved now.

Even if it’s fixed now, it would be good to get some logs to see what’s going on.

Hmm, maybe. He’s not very technical-minded but I could walk him through it and maybe get him to sign up to the forum. Would that just involve enabling logging, reboot, then upload ‘All Configs and Logs’ via Myosmc and pasting the resulting link in the forum?