Bluetooth trouble after latest update, 5 seconds until the Vero 4k is responsive on Harmony actvity start

@Nickelig, is this the receiver you got with the smart keyboard:

(edit) ah, but you mentioned that you need the keyboard to set it up, having the RF receiver alone would not help.

No that seems to be a totally different productā€¦ and I can not find any information that this ā€žunifying receiverā€œ is compatible with harmony. It seems go be just a replacement dongle for their wireless mouse and keyboard products. Their biggest use seems go be that they can be used with wireless mouse and keyboard at the same time, hence that unifying name.

It might actually be the same dongle as they come with the harmony smart keyboard bundleā€¦ but with no way of pairing them with the hub, they just can not be used for a RF solution. And as you noticed, the only solution right now is through the smart keyboard bundleā€¦ and even that is rather unofficial, the RF dongles are supposed to connect just the keyboard via the harmony hub but somehow can also connect the remotes (minus the use of letters and numbers).

It is all about software, In theory all kinds of RF dongles could potentially be used with the harmony hub as the hub has RF. But if the harmony software does not support it, it does not work.

Do you believe that the OSMC team could push a Vero4K firmware update to reduce this delay? I donā€™t know enough about Bluetooth to comment, so Iā€™m unsure if this is purely a hardware issue or something that in theory could be addressed in a future release?

I think it could be adressed in the future. Sam is aware of the problem, though other stuff is higher in priority. One culprit could be BlueZ, the module used in OSMC for bluetooth connections. I have to admit, I know nothing about that as well.

One thing Sam could explore is looking at other linux based media center software and see if they are faster and possible implement such a solution. I actually tried to compare the Vero 4k to Libreelec Box with comparable hardware but unfortunately the box was dead, so no test possible. Maybe someone else has a Libreelec Box with comparable hardware lying around and could test it.

Comparisons with other OS devices is pointless though, nothing to learn from that. Also Sam mentioned a rather conservative approach with BlueZ because an aggressive/faster approach could drain battery on remotes.

There is a new firmware for the hub: 4.15.201

Not going to test bluetooth because I have my RF solution set up but maybe the 201 fixes the issue that was caused by the 193

Will update and let you know.

Just installed the update and it seems that itā€™s sped up a lotā€¦ Can you confirm, @WilliamG?

Just updated. Can confirm likewise! Itā€™s fixed!

My only issue now with my Harmony Elite is repeated commands at times. But thatā€™s been a thing for a long time - something to do with key filtering.

E.g. if you hold the down button on the OSMC remote, it doesnā€™t scroll as fast as holding down on the Harmony Elite. I prefer the OSMC remote way of doing things because thereā€™s never any repeated key presses.

In any case, the 5-second delay issue is now fixed. Yay.

Great! Finally :slightly_smiling_face:

Strangeā€¦ Iā€™m using the hub with the companion remote and itā€™s been working without any issues here :man_shrugging:t2:

Dunno what to tell you there. I have two Elites in two different areas of the house with two Vero 4K+ and they both behave the same way.

Remind me to only get the companion remote then :yum:

I just paid for a harmony elite, so Iā€™m interested in this. Have you tried adjusting the ā€œdevice command repeatsā€ setting?

Yep, makes literally zero difference. Even set it to 1000ms inter-key, and that has no effect. Youā€™d think setting it to 1 second between key presses would, but - nope. No difference. Itā€™s like the setting doesnā€™t work.

Ok. But youā€™re talking about a different setting (delay)ā€¦ Or maybe Iā€™m just getting confused!

Glad itā€˜s fixed. Maybe the devs actually have read my rant on the Logitech forum, haha :smiley:

Going to stay on RF though, itā€˜s just a tad faster and works even after you reboot the Vero 4k.

I had to do precisely nothing to resolve this.
I like this.

8 Likes

Assuming that theyā€™re not wise enough to have found that bug themselves after introducing itā€¦ Iā€™ll thank you for your rant on all our behalf :wink:

Uh. BT works after you reboot the 4K, too.

If you reboot the Vero, is the remote automatically working with bluetooth? No restarting the harmony activity needed? Maybe I remembered it wrong, been on the 193 for so long and than using RF.

Yup. Reboot, unplug, whatever. Still works perfectly. Then again, that functionality worked perfectly on the previous firmware, too, so not sure what the issue was there for you.