Boosting NFS speed

I think that it is good to differentiate between noise and noise suppression when dealing with devices like HomePlugs. Those devices are designed to deal to some extent with noise; however, may not do that well with noise suppression that most multiplugs / power extension cords have. With that in mind, you should rather never plug those devices to any multiplugs, etc. unless you know for sure that those are just pure straight copper wires.

I would also argue that using WiFi dongles with external antennas with USB cables may solve some issues, and be less expensive from those HomePlug ones. Of course, if there is a driver for it. For example something like this:

http://itpc.net.pl/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/TP-LINK-ARCHER-T4UH-baner-900x350.png

Thanks to both of you for the advice, I will look into those solutions. Anyways, this thread is still about finding the best protocole and options to share content over wifi. I’m sure other have tried and I cannot be the only one wanting to fine tune the best I can anything I get my hands on when it comes to the RaspPi. However, still an somewhat unrelated question: does my iperf results look normal to you ?

osmc@osmc:~$ iperf -c 192.168.1.41 -r
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)

Client connecting to 192.168.1.41, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 43.8 KByte (default)

[ 5] local 192.168.1.9 port 55174 connected with 192.168.1.41 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 5] 0.0-10.0 sec 37.4 MBytes 31.2 Mbits/sec
[ 4] local 192.168.1.9 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.41 port 40696
[ 4] 0.0-11.1 sec 11.0 MBytes 8.29 Mbits/sec

I used this topic and everything works fine for me now.

1 Like

I give up.

You’ll only ever achieve temporary success via wifi as there are TOO MANY VARIABLES for you to be able to prove whether a minor protocol tweak has made a difference.

Your neighbour may turn on their microwave, used a dect phone, got a baby monitor, got a router with auto wireless channel changing, got incorrectly earthed devices spewing out interference?

With it being so impossible to determine what’s happening within your local environment you’ll never know whether or not your protocol tweaks made a difference.

Your persistence in asking for resource in resolving this issue is frustrating, but I admire it on some level.

As I said, I give up, good luck, please reply when you figure this out, maybe keep it to yourself and present it to Cisco or Netgear so they can pay you royalties.

Please do not take it personally. Everything you said has been more than welcome. I will seriously consider HomePlug. I understand that Wifi is never gonna be a viable solution. And I hadn’t even thought of half the variable you just mentioned. However, some do get their content over Wifi flawlessly, and I do get mine to any other device in the room flawlessly. I am just trying not to give up on that too easily. I still keep an open mind though and will more than likely end up abandoning the idea of sharing content via Wifi.

THIS is a breakthrough !!! I changed to my country’s settings, not only can I see channel 13 now but the best is that my iperf results DOUBLED. This is plain and simply incredible. I will do some content streaming test but man that was helpful!

1 Like

Ok a little follow-up on this matter. The integrated rpi3 wifi is a mess. But I think I am starting to get it figured out.

1st step , I set the region for the wifi using this link : Raspberry Pi 3 with OSMC unable to use wifi channels 11,12,13 in UK - #6 by lyonacre
This improved max speed. And allowed me to try less crowded channels.

2nd step, I used sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off and it made it more stable. Using this thread : Pi 3 WiFi unstable - #7 by sam_nazarko

Lastly, I have changed advancedsettings.xml as advised on Kodi Wiki for 1GB of ram devices. Here: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache

As of now, everything looks finally smooth. But I will report on that after a few days of testing.

Turning off power management on the internal adapter will do nothing because power management is already disabled for this adapter.

Doing iwconfig was giving me a “power management : on” status. And I could swear it got better, but it might be an error.

Power management is not properly reported from the driver due to the way it has been patched.

Well I give up. Even if I got things way better than when I started, there is no real, stable solution. I’ve tried anything and I still have some caching, stuttering from time to time while I successfully stream content to so many different other devices over Wifi. Thus, I cannot find any other explanation: the integrated Wifi on the pi 3 is rubbish! Is it hardware related ? Or could a better driver get better results some time in the future ?

Mind you, for people who would wind up on this topic looking for tips on how to improve their video streaming from a share I can give some advice as a summary of my many attempts:

1. mount your share at os level (fstab), know that the default options are just great, you will not gain much by tweaking it. NFS is considered better, Samba is working nearly as well.

2. Force caching , adjust the cache and readbuffer factor on your advancedsetting (see Kodi Wiki for that)

3. If you’re trying to get it to work via WiFi, know that a crowded channel will impact greatly the streaming performance and that Ethernet will always give you better results. If you’re trying to use channel 13 and it does not appear see a few post above.

I finally bought an external USB WIFI dongle and the problem is resolved. Pi3 integrated wifi is just not good enough (and 2,4Ghz channel are overcrowded to say the least in my area).

Thanks to everyone that has tried to find the best solution with me !

1 Like