Broken after update

I just ran the latest update and now have no picture at all. I’ve unplugged it several times now and it initially shows the OSMC logo with “Please Stand By” then it flashes to a blue screen with the OSMC logo and then nothing. Just a blank screen.

What do I do to fix this?

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload some logs. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

How would I get any logs when I have no access to the system?

I think I figured it out. Try this. http://paste.osmc.io/rivopiqezi

Try to start without addons by moving your .kodi directory

sudo systemctl stop mediacenter
mv ~/.kodi ~/.kodi-backup
sudo systemctl start mediacenter

I did that and then had to reboot. Now I can see OSMC menus on my TV. How do I get all my settings back now?

You can copy your settings from
.kodi-backup/userdata to .kodi/userdata

Your addons are in .kodi-backup/addons you can try to move them back 1 by 1

Ugh. I’ll have to mess with it later. I need to go to bed now. Thanks for your help so far. I hope I can get it working properly again.

So far I’m wishing I hadn’t updated. It seems really buggy yet. It keeps freezing on menus, I can’t set the resolution to 4k to match my TV and I can’t navigate it to the shares on my server.

Is there an easy way to get it back to the previous version?

Please let us know which magical 4k device you have OSMC running on?

No, unless you have a backup of your install before the upgrade.

Try deleting the addons.db file in database folder. This solved it for me.

Is the Vero 2 not capable of 4K? When I tried to set the skin resolution to 3840 × 2160 so that I don’t have to downscale it or re-calibrate it to all fit on my Samsung UN65KU6300FXZA TV the screen just blacks out for a few seconds and then reverts back to the default resolution.

Not that I am aware of! The new VeroX will most likely support 4k based on the rumours.

Well darn. I thought I had it set that way before the update, but don’t remember for sure. Something has changed recently though as it used to scale to fit on the screen perfectly without any adjustment then recently before the update I had to go through the calibration settings to scale the skin down because it was no longer fitting on the screen anymore. That issue has persisted after the update.

Well I managed to loose my back up of addons. No big deal I’ll just rebuild it all at this point. Problem is now I can’t get it to connect back to my Windows 10 computer via SMB on my network. It says operation not permitted when I select it. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong now?

You can try this…

Windows as a server or a client?
If Windows is client and OSMC server than check what @ActionA wrote.
If OSMC Client and Windows Server are you using guest access or user/password acess?

OSMC as the client. I have all of my movies stored on a Windows 10 pc. I finally figured out where to put the user name and password but still couldn’t get it to connect. I keep getting unknown error 8216.

I just found the backup folder that I thought I lost. lol I accidentally moved it. I’m copying it off to my desktop now and then I’m thinking of doing a clean wipe and install of OSMC if that’s possible. First I have a basketball game to watch. Luckily I got ESPN3 addon to work. Had to switch to the default skin though. Streams wouldn’t play with the OSMC skin.

Ugh now the ESPN3 add-on stopped working. Basically nothing is working properly. Is there an easy way to just completely wipe it and start over?