Buffering + CEC issue

Can you share the mediainfo of a file that plays fine on the TV but not on the Vero?
Also can it be that the TV has a better Antenna location than the Vero? Do you have separate SSID’s for 2.4 and 5Ghz?

4k MediaInfo Details

General
Unique ID : 331986035289109128413785985670259071548 (0xF9C22F451A3859D8A22FDFBC13AADA3C)
Complete name : /Volumes/Public/Filme/moviefile.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 36.4 GiB
Duration : 2 h 1 min
Overall bit rate : 42.8 Mb/s
Movie name : moviefile
Writing application : Lavf58.26.101
Writing library : Lavf58.26.101
ErrorDetectionType : Per level 1

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Commercial name : HDR10
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Bit rate : 41.4 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.208
Stream size : 35.2 GiB (97%)
Title : moviefile
Language : German
Default : Yes
Forced : Yes
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 285 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 63 cd/m2

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 768 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 670 MiB (2%)
Title : German DTS 5.1
Forced : No

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate : 640 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 558 MiB (1%)
Title : English AC3 5.1-EX
Language : English
Service kind : Complete Main
Default : No

1080p MediaInfo Details

General
Unique ID : 182361299076048129018252495398814990234 (0x89318237766B5F018B994A46FD71BF9A)
Complete name : /Volumes/Public/Filme/moviefile1080p.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 23.3 GiB
Duration : 1 h 47 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 31.1 Mb/s
Movie name : moviefile1080p
Encoded date : UTC 2017-03-22 15:39:14
Writing application : mkvmerge v8.8.0 (‘Wind at my back’) 64bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.3 + libmatroska v1.4.4

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 24.1 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 32.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.485
Stream size : 18.0 GiB (77%)
Title : moviefile1080p

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : DTS XBR
Commercial name : DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
Bit rate : 2 046 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : C L R LFE Lb Rb Lss Rss
Stream size : 1.53 GiB (7%)
Title : German DTS-HD MA 5.1

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : DTS XLL
Commercial name : DTS-HD Master Audio
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 730 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : C L R LFE Lb Rb Lss Rss
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 3.54 GiB (15%)
Title : English DTS-HD MA 5.1
Language : English
Default : No

The TV uses AndroidTV Kodi.

The Vero is basically next to the TV (Antenna). I don’t have separate SSID’s but I can see it in my router that the Vero is connected to the 5Ghz.

Edit: I can’t post more than 6 posts on my first day. So see you in 6 hours and thanks already for all the help I’ve gotten so far!

Well that file reports “Overall bit rate : 42.8 Mb/s” so not sure how the TV plays it if it has 30Mbit limit.
Separate SSID’s are recommended but if you confirmed that the router reports the Vero on 5GHz than ok. Anything else in the router (e.g. dB or Streams) that would explain the low throughput?

The way you ran this test seems to have caused some confusion. You were playing a video so your bandwidth was NOT 34 Mb/s and dropping down to 10Mb/s. You would need to run iperf without any other significant traffic to see what your bandwidth actually was. You also didn’t say what the device on the other end of the test was. Were you using the Vero as the iPerf server?

@PizzaPino an even better test would be to try and dd part of one of the files you are trying to play:

dd if=/mnt/Movies/file.mkv of=/dev/null size=1024 count=1G status=progress

where /mnt/Movies/file.mkv is the actual path to a file on the NAS. That will show the real transfer rate of the file.

But you should also try to copy the file locally to the Vero (you could use a USB stick) and see if it plays OK there.

I upgraded your account for you so you should be able to post again.

1 Like

@fzinken I guess the 30Mbit/s is just a safe recommendation from the manufacturer and it can play higher bitrates. I added a 1080p video above which is also buffering hard.

So I have no idea what these things in the router mean, so I need a little hand holding.

Vero:
+Always assign same ipv4 address
+permit independent port sharing
Signal Strength: -64dBm
Max data rate possible: 433/433 Mbit/s
Current Throughput: 433 / 433 Mbit/s
Wireless Standard: WLAN ac
Frequency Band: 5Ghz
Streams: 1x1
Encryption:WPA2
Signal properties: LDPC
Quality of Service (QoS): WMM
Repeater operation: no

@darwindesign After resetting my router and the Vero a few times these are the results:
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-60.00 sec 721 MBytes 101 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-60.00 sec 720 MBytes 101 Mbits/sec receiver
The client is the Vero, the Macbook is the server. Without anything playing.

@bmillham It says the size=1024 is an unknown operand (on Terminal macOS). Unfortunately I don’t have a USB stick this size.

Run the command on the Vero, not your Mac. The idea is to test the throughput from the NAS to the Vero.

I was accessing it via ssh. But even on the Vero it says unrecognized operand for size=1024

It might be worth trying it with that turned off.

If your router is telling the truth your signal strength is okay, not great, but good enough.

This works

dd if=/mnt/Server_Video/Movie/test.mp4 of=/dev/null bs=1024 count=1M status=progress
1071596544 bytes (1.1 GB, 1022 MiB) copied, 38.0112 s, 28.2 MB/s
1048576+0 records in
1048576+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 38.0863 s, 28.2 MB/s

Thanks!

this gives me:

31480501248 Bytes (31 GB, 29 GiB) copied, 8793,12 s, 3,6 MB/s
30742859+1 records in
30742859+1 records out
31480687883 Bytes (31 GB, 29 GiB) copied 8793,14 s, 3,6 MB/s

copying the exact file wireless to my macbook gives me a transfer speed of 35MB/s.

Like I said, wireless can vary quite a bit. That 28 MB/s I posted above was from my raspberry pi on ethernet. If I switch to wireless that goes down to 8 MB/s and that is on a access point that gives me 60 MB/s on my laptop.

Have you tried physically moving the Vero (If only to test) to see if you get an improvement? It is possible to pick up interference from odd spots. How about the QOS, did you try turning that off. I don’t know what equipment you have but most consumer routers will slow down quite a bit with any of it enabled. It is possible that the WMM thinks the Vero is something other than what it is and is throttling that stream.

Also have you had any luck getting iwconfig to return actual information?

I physically moved the Vero from the one end to the other end and there was no improvement.
Seems like my router can’t turn of WMM and I’ve read that it’s better to turn it off in the device, if this is possible?
iwconfig still says the same that I posted above.

I am rather confused on how you can ssh into a box that is connected wireless and have it tell you that it is not connected to a wireless network. I’m still working my way through Linux 101 for dummies so i’m clueless with what is going on there.

As for the WMM I have no idea where you got that info but the client device can only inform the access point of what it is and has no control over what is being done with that info. The issue is not really WMM but rather what your router is choosing to do with that info. What you would actually be looking to turn off is any QOS/Gaming etc. kind of controls that prioritize traffic of one device over another or apply rate limiting.

It appears from what I have gathered that the only issue is with the connection between your router and Vero. Can you say exactly what network equipment you have? Are we just talking about a single Fritz box with no extenders that sits in the next room with just a single wall between it and the Vero?

Are we just talking about a single Fritz box with no extenders that sits in the next room with just a single wall between it and the Vero?

This is really it. They are basically both against the wall and only this wall is seperating them. I mean I’m also opening to doors but it doesn’t change anything.
I removed all devices from prioritizations and only left my hard drive and the vero in there which also didn’t change anything.

Those boxes don’t exist in my part of the world so I can’t really speak to any particular tweak with them. That “prioritization” is QOS and I suggested you tried turning it off, not add your problem devices to it. I would suggest looking for some support from Fritzbox or something to see if there is recommendations on their end.

Personally if it was me I would just be poking a hole in that wall and pulling a cord through. Even if you had perfect wifi using ethernet is still faster and more reliable.

Unfortunately I’m renting this apartment and this is not something I’d want to do.
Maybe I’ll get an Nvidia Shield or a libreelec box and return the Vero in the worst case.

So I bought a long LAN cable just for testing and connected it directly to the router. It’s butter smooth no matter if low or high bitrate. So it’s really a Wifi problem and I suppose it’s from the Vero. Could it be a faulty Vero wifi module or are my router and the vero just not playing well together? I have the fritz box 6590 which is their high end top model.

dd test gives me 50MB/s but iwconfig but iwconfig still gives me the same output. eth0: no wireless extensions.

your signal strength on the wifi is bad would recommend moving your vero and your router so they got better quality on the signal strength cause that matter alot for the transfer rate

anything below -50 is kinda shit for getting 4k working, wifi isnt unlimted things in your home can negatively impact your wifi to find out how good your wifi is there is an awesome app for android called wifiman or just keep using iwconfig and move your router and your device