Buffering + CEC issue

My TV is getting -70dBm and is still working fine with the files. Yes, I’m using a similar app on my iPhone to measure the quality.

would advice diffrently but what do i know :stuck_out_tongue: i just do this for a living since i work for an ISP

DB matters for transferrate. glhf

Sorry I’m not trying to disrespect you or anything. I’m thankful for every help I’m getting here. I’m just meaning to verify if this would really be the problem because the Vero and the TV have a similar dBm and are standing next to each other, but one has wifi issues and the other doesn’t.

As an experiment, try turning off the WiFi on the TV. Maybe it has a stronger transmitter than the Vero and is drowning out the signal.

Please don’t take this as condescending but wifi and networking can get very complicated. It is common for many people to think i have a ???mb/s wifi and it should go that fast. It can get even more confusing when you have some devices that work much better than others. Your TV works but perhaps that has a much larger antenna (because it has room physically for it) and perhaps it can use wider channels than the Vero. Your laptop not only has large antenna but a class of wireless hardware that is not possible to put in a low cost media player. If you had a competent IT person come to your house they could probably get it sorted with the equipment you have. Doing it yourself with little background is tough even with the help of people over the internet.

Sometimes it becomes simpler to propose a less technical solution that will get the desired result. It is with that thought that I suggest looking at a FRITZ!WLAN and using it as a LAN bridge. With 4 MIMO channels on the router I assume it should have a decent backhaul and being from the same company little problems getting it going. You would plug that into the wall in the room with the Vero and then plug a cable from it to the Vero and then turn the Vero Wired on and wireless off.

Can you disable 2.4Ghz completely as a test?

Also worth seeing a picture of how the Vero is positioned in your living room.

I checked a German Kodi board and there was a bug for the Fritz Box and NAS (Going from Powermode to Eco mode made it faster). So clearing that it made my speed go up to 6-7MB/s. Which is still not enough, but it’s a start. I’ve put it directly next to my router now, turned off 2,4Ghz, turned off TV Wifi, plugged out a few smart plugs and electrical devices that I’m using and now I’m at 8-9MB/s. But at least down to -47dBm.

I’m going to try the LAN bridge suggestion and will report back.

1 Like

Did you try and see if your files play alright now. That test was using a lot of small transfers so it would be expected to be much slower, and even more so because that is especially brutal over wifi.

yes but no improvement

Are you definitely using the fstab mount? If you added it you still need to change it in kodi

yes definitely and I also changed the movie folder to the mount.

@darwindesign I went for your option now with the wifi bridge and this dramatically increased the speed to 17MB/s even though it’s located at the same location and has a signal strength of -64dBm. So it might have been an incompatibility between the FritzBox and the Vero or the Wifi bridge just has a much stronger antenna.

Nevertheless this option is good enough for me and I’ll be keeping my Vero. Thank you very much for all your support. I can finally enjoy the box and my movies!

1 Like

That is great to hear. If you wanted to take the last step in maximizing your performance you could add a gigabit switch to the lan bridge and move your NAS to the same room as your TV. This way all your big traffic will stay inside of that room in the cables. This would also have the benefits of making your wifi work better as it would have less overall traffic going through it. You don’t need anything fancy as a $16 TP-Link switch in your application is going to perform the same as anything more expensive.

1 Like

Brilliant