Can anyone suggest/provide a Crystalubuntu 2 Mirror?

They’re both pretty small - they look like they may actually be the installers (i haven’t downloaded them) but the problem is that they ping the repo (which is now gone) and download all the required files for CB during the install process.

Having them may be very handing - given that we also have a drive image. Perhaps there’s some way that someone can bundle the installer and files from the image together to make an offline installer? I have no idea if that’s even possible… and probably an even bigger noob thing to suggest.

Thanks for uploading those files eelber!

Hey BAG_Ass, I’m giving your method a try, but I can’t get past step five without getting this error message:

OpenELEC:/ # mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
mount: mounting /dev/sdb1 on /mnt failed: No such file or directory

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If users are running OpenElec from a USB stick then it might be easier to connect to the ATV via SSH and dd the image across a local network to the ATV’s HDD if you have the time.
SSH naturally has to be enabled in OpenElec > Programs > Services

ATV’s with HDD/SSD/DOM’s → the correct /dev/sd? can be viewed by OpenElec > System info > Storage

Once OpenElec is running from usb, the ATV’s Hard Drive (unmodified ATV) will be mounted as /dev/sda
Individual partitions (recovery + primary) are sda1 and sda2

Copy and paste to a Terminal app on the machine that contains the ATV.img.bz2

1. dd if=/path/of/local/ATV.img.bz2 | bzip2 -d | ssh root@ip.address.of.atv “dd of=/dev/sda”
  2. Answer yes to RSA key fingerprint question
  3. Enter password → openelec
  4. Feet up, This might take a while… if your using the Terminal app in OSX - > CTRL + T will spit out dd progress

If your image is already unzipped and just a ATV.img file replace step 1 with this…

1. dd if=/path/of/local/ATV.img | ssh root@ip.address.of.atv “dd of=/dev/sda”

=======================================================================

Similarly if you want to make a local networked backup of your ATV’s HDD…
(probably a good idea before OSMC for the ATV is released)

1. ssh root@ip.address.of.atv "dd if=/dev/sda " | dd of=/local/chosen/storage/path/of/ATV.img

:smile:

1 Like

first of all - u need to find whitch dev is your hdd/ssd/usb/dom
u need make “ls /dev” and find whitch name is ur device and use it without /dev/sdb1

Its pretty easy from inside OpenElec just go to:

OpenElec > System info > Storage

blkid is also another way of viewing mounted devices.

I’m a complete novice with this, but is that command the right way around? Isn’t “if” the source and “of” the destination? In which case, isn’t this command to make a clone of the existing drive and save it as ATV.img.gz?

I apologise if I have it wrong, it just seems to counter my (extremely limited) understanding of dd.

Doh!
You are correct, too much editing and I had my Pipes | | around the wrong way.
Read from device or file = if
Write to device or file = of
Thanks. Fixed.

Tested by dd’ing an OpenElec install-usb.img.gz over the Network to a usb stick that is connected to a Crystalbuntu ATV.

1 Like

wrxtasy
unzip file-image.zip | dd of=/dev/sda bs=1M )))))

Yeah thats fine if you are doing it from another connected source that contains the file-image.zip. But whenever I plug another USB drive into the ATV1 running from an OpenElec USB, my ATV completely freezes.
Looks like OpenElec does not like Hotplugging. Crystalbuntu has no such problems automounting.

You know, i made usb from “for usb” image.
Unfortunately i didnt wait until full loaded image (went to eat). And afret it i ssh to ip i got, went to box and change usb-stiks. Screen of my display was black, but ssh worked fine after changing and i could make dd. It is my own experience. So, during first boot time i didnt plug in ethernet cable and booting process stack on getting ip address phase and only after it i plug Net.

UPD - i use absolutely empty DOM inside and SD-card outside in usb card-reader.
UPD2 - on SD-card was written full-work copy of HDD partitions decreased to 6.6 Gb

Boom! Worked perfectly! Just shut down the Apple TV (while running off the usb stick) and booted it back up into CB2 running of the internal drive! Thanks SO MUCH to everyone who has helped out with this! Now to start tinkering around trying to update to Kodi!

1 Like

Congrats. Well Done :smile:
Now I have to get off my butt and install a mSATA I’ve had lying around and possibly tinker with a dual boot setup.

I’m trying your method. I downloaded OpenElec image and copied it to USB drive using USBIT. I then placed USB in ATV1 and plugged it in. It went though a couple of minutes of text scrolling on the screen and now it’s at a black screen. No cursor, no Openeleclogo, nothing. Using the remote doesn’t seem to cause any response. What should I do now?

when it start - it get dhcp request and show on the screen ip address of box and password “root” for user root.
u need run terminal program on your computer and ssh to ip address box user- root and password - root

OK. I rebooted black screen and it went straight into XBMC. System storage shows

sbd1 as flash,
sdb2 - 3,1 G as storage
sda4 - 35.8G as Media
sda3 - 900.0M as OSboot

I have not plugged in USB drive with CB@ image on it.

My image is named crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2.

Previously in this thread someone said to use the dd command to copy the image to the ATV1 DD

This is the command from above

dd if=/path/of/local/ATV.img.bz2 | bzip2 -d | ssh root@ip.address.of.atv “dd of=/dev/sda”

I understand to change the name of the image but I’m not sure of where to copy it to. Can someone give me the right command line?

Also how would I make an backup of the original Apple software?
Thanks

Hi,
Question, did you see a Pink screen on bootup ?
If so please complete the following first by removing usb and reboot into Apple Frontrow:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO:AppleTV_Installation/Prepare_for_Installation

This is my preferred OSX Mac install method as it prevents OpenElec/ATV freezes when another usb stick or HDD is inserted.

Right click the (or Get Info (Mac) crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2 file and look at properties. This will give you the local path to go in:
dd if=/path/of/local/crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2

I would personally let the OpenElec usb stick do its thing and run and update with an Ethernet cord plugged in to the ATV. The ip.address.of.atv can be found in OpenElec > System Info > Network.

Your ATV HDD is /dev/sda

This command copies the image over your local home network from your Mac to the ATV’s HDD:

dd if=/path/of/local/crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2 | bzip2 -d | ssh root@ip.address.of.atv “dd of=/dev/sda”

Backup of ATV’s HDD: with Cyrstalbuntu running on the ATV issue this command from OSX Terminal (Mac):

ssh atv@ip.address.of.atv "dd if=/dev/sda " | dd of=/local/chosen/storage/path/on/PC/to/save/ATV.img

Password: atv

Pink screen - it is normal. Some devices cannot show black screen and use pink instead it in boot process time.

Hey Bonnie, if you’re using a mac just open the terminal and type:

dd if=

then drag the file you have (named crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2) into the terminal window and it will automatically paste its location into the string, then add the rest of the command as it appears above.

Personally I wouldn’t worry about making a back up of the original software, just grab ApplePiBaker and use that that. There’s a good guide here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6425705

You need to change RGB colour output in Front row as Linux can’t touch the VBIOS

I tried

dd if=E:\Users\Clark\SkyDrive\Documents\Rooting\Apple TV 1\Other to
ols\crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2 bzip2 -d | ssh root@192.168.1.49 “dd of=/dev/sda”

dd if=“E:\Users\Clark\SkyDrive\Documents\Rooting\Apple TV 1\Other to
ols\crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2” bzip2 -d | ssh root@192.168.1.49 “dd of=/dev/sda”

and dd if=C:\temp\crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2 bzip2 -d | ssh root@192.168
.1.49 “dd of=/dev/sda”

after copying image to c:\temp

They all ask for a password and then say

0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0B) copied, 0.002158 seconds, 0B/s

I then tried copying the image to to ATV1 hard drive using FileZilla usinf SFTP. I get

Status: Starting upload of E:\Users\Clark\SkyDrive\Documents\Rooting\Apple TV 1\Other tools\crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2
Status: local:E:\Users\Clark\SkyDrive\Documents\Rooting\Apple TV 1\Other tools\crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2 => remote:/var/media/crystalbuntu2.img40GB.bz2
Error: error while writing: failure
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 130,367,488 bytes in 17 seconds

The resulting file is only 120 Mb instead of 485 Mb.

Any suggestions?