Can anyone suggest/provide a Crystalubuntu 2 Mirror?

It is of course sda2.
I cant reply because the forum settings are stupid.
It is only 2 partitions. Fdisk does not support gpt disk and might report wrong. There is no sda4. You need to enlarge sda2, then enlarge the filesystem.

Well I tried it with sda2 and got this

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 37G 2.4G 33G 7% /
udev 120M 4.0K 120M 1% /dev
tmpfs 49M 600K 48M 2% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 122M 0 122M 0% /run/shm
atv@crystalbuntu:~$ sudo resize2fs /dev/sda2
resize2fs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
The filesystem is already 9754624 blocks long. Nothing to do!

atv@crystalbuntu:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

I’m a bit confused (what else is new!).

When I first started this process, I had booted off an Openelec USB stick and got the following

System storage shows

sbd1 as flash,
sdb2 - 3,1 G as storage
sda4 - 35.8G as Media
sda3 - 900.0M as OSboot

After I installed CB@ via the 40 GB restore, I’m guessing the names changed to something similar to

However, I ran this code after first booting to CB2

sudo fdisk /dev/sda
Command (m for help): p
Command (m for help): d
Partition number (1-5): 3
Command (m for help): n
Partition type:
p primary (0 primary, 0 extended, 4 free)
e extended
Select (default p): p
Partition number (1-4, default 1): 3
First sector (xxx-xxxxxxxx, default xxx): hit enter or return to choose default
Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G}… hit enter or return to choose default
Command (m for help): t
Partition number (1-5): 3
Hex code (type L to list codes): 83
Command (m for help): w

Aren’t the above commands working on the wrong partition? Should I run them again using 2 instead of three?

Also can someone give me a simple explanation of why sda4 (in Openelec) went to sda2 in CB2? Thanks again for your patience

Don’t use fdisk. It doesnt support GPT disks and will show wrong partitions. Use parted instead. CB2.0 only use 2 partitions. You need to enlarge the second partition to fill up the disk, and then resize the filesystem.

So basically:
sudo parted /dev/sda
resize 2 52.4 -0 ##resize from 52.4MB to end of disk
print ##to verify
quit

That’s basically it. To be honest i’m not sure if this works in a running system. If you’re not familiar with using atvboot to boot, say GParted, then I’d recommend taking out the disk and doing it offline.

Can’t wait. I know I’m not the only one who is really looking forward to this. :fire:

I have the ATV HDD out. Can I use ATVcloner to copy the CB2 image to HDD? If I can, do I unzip the file then copy it?

Is there an easier way to remove the Hard drive from the ATV1 other than peeling back the rubber coating on the bottom to get to the screws?

nope. Anyway the rubber pad is useless and is not good for heat dissipation. Airdryer is good for heating the glue for easy peeling.

For less trouble you should wait for OSMC or try Openelec if it’s urgent.

Bob

Wait for OSMC…

If we had one more developer, we could blast through this in a day… Shame really

Sam

3 Likes

Thanks for everything that you and the other developers are doing Sam. I am excited to get OSMC on my appleTV - as are a lot of others (as evidenced by the activity in this thread).

Just me for AppleTV. That’s why it’s slow. We need 3 kernels for AppleTV which makes it extra-tricky, and revival of a bootloader that’s not been worked on since 2008.

Anyway, that’s what makes it more fun.

To keep you posted with progress: what seems like inactivity is more trial and error here, which is why you’re getting infrequent updates

S

2 Likes

If I had even the vaguest of skills I’d offer my help, but I’m useless I’m afraid. But I am happy to blow my cb2 install away and help test anything, if that’s a help?

I have used the same file and command to load one of ATV and it worked. Now I’m trying to install on another ATV and keep getting bzip2: invalid magic, see below. Please let me know what I need to do to install the image.

Thanks.

dd if=/Volumes/16GB/crystalbuntu2.img.bz2 | bzip2 -d | ssh root@192
.168.1.30 “dd of=/dev/sda”
dd: can’t open ‘/Volumes/16GB/crystalbuntu2.img.bz2’: No such file or directory
bzip2: invalid magic
root@192.168.1.30’s password:
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0B) copied, 0.002186 seconds, 0B/s

Nevermind, I found what I did wrong. I shouldn’t have did the dd command while ssh into ATV.
thanks

Hi Sam,

I’m sure that it will take some time for a developer to come up to speed with whatever you need help with, but please let me know if I can be of any assistance. I’m fluent with Linux, shell scripting, kernel compilation and many other things. Bootloader … it depends what you need. I just joined the forum because you asked for help, so I can’t PM you yet.

BTW, thanks a lot for all your hard work! You’re the best!

@elroy - Which process and steps did you follow exactly? The one from wrxtasy? As is or some changes/ fixes?

@wrxtasy - I’d love to hear how a dual boot setup could be done. I was hoping to keep the Apple TV OS (all ATV original functionality - Apple Airplay etc) and CB2 as well on ATV, but the only way to do that is booting CB2 of USB drive and remove when one wants to go to ATV OS.

Thoughts on the above? What kind of dual boot were you thinking?

Yes, I followed wrxtasy’s steps exactly as above (with the exception of changing the location of the image on my local drive - which was done simply by typing the first part of wrxtasy’s instructions:

dd if=

And then dragging the image file into your terminal window (it will automatically type the location of the file for you) then completing the rest of the command before hitting enter.

Hope that answers your question.

1 Like

hi Sam any news on the osmc for the atv 1

1 Like

What ATV OS functionality do I lose when I move to CB2? Can any of it be replicated?