Can we now do auto updates?

or via terminal nothing wrong with doing it from terminal then you got better control if something goes wrong not all that getting into terminal finding out whats going wrong then back up on the forum to report it .

1 Like

+1
Oh so true.
Less experienced users may not be cool with it though.

An easy way to get apt output after using MyOSMC would be great.

1 Like

I just added this to the Accessing via CLI section of the wiki, and it should be synced to the website soon. :slightly_smiling:

For Windows 10, Linux and OSX users, that page also has a good GIF video that shows how to do ssh via command line.

2 Likes

See my gems keeps on adding up :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

but as u saw my filesystem was not corrupted, i ran fsck, and it all came back as fineā€¦ unless what i typed did an auto fix, which im pretty sure it didnt, so if my system was fine, then i will have to --force-yes everytime as it has not updated at all unless i do thisā€¦

I wonder why you seem to be the only one suffering this issue?

1 Like

If it WAS fine, then it wouldnā€™t have been Read-only.
See from your post below.

unable to clean up mess surrounding ./boot/config-4.2.3-7-osmc' before installing another version: Read-only file system

Iā€™ll say it againā€¦
Linux WILL NOT mount HFS+ filesystems unless they are unmounted cleanly.
If it is NOT unmounted cleanly, Linux will mount it as Read-Only.
It does this to prevent both corruption and/or further corruption.
It wonā€™t mount the filesystem Read/Write again, until fsck has been allowed to check the filesystem.
Linux says: ā€œHey this wasnā€™t umounted correctlyā€¦ I better not touch it until I know itā€™s okā€

How is this prevented in the future ?
There was a patch included in the January update, that will run force fsck the boot parition when the system is updated.
But this isnā€™t a cure all because fsck canā€™t fix all filesystem errors all the time.
This is especially true with HFS+ Journalled filesystems.

----The real true prevention is to shutdown the ATV1 correctly.ā€”

How do I shut the system down correctly ?
You use the shutdown menu in Kodi, and wait until you eventually see the message system halt
This can take a minute or so.

What if my system locks up and I canā€™t shut the system down correctly ?
Hopefully the patch included in the January update, will be able to fsck the boot partition.
Most of the time it will fsck correctly, but that CANNOT be guaranteedā€¦ simply due to how Linux handles HFS+ filesystems.

BTW: simply forcing the update would do nothing if your filesystem is read only.

FWIW: Looking at your logs, and seeing what you have installed, Iā€™d be surprised if your system doesnā€™t lock up often.

1 Like

Yup. Your post reminded me to get some of my wiki todo list done, including more ssh info :slightly_smiling:
People seem reluctant to add to the wiki, so Iā€™ve been making notes on general issues that people ask.
Heckā€¦ I need something to do while I recover from 3 weeks of the flu+pneumonia LOL

hmmm i wonder then how im ever supposed to do auto updates then? as it will only, as shown above in an image, get to around 40-60% and then fail, as it did on this last auto updateā€¦ could it be that my system is not moving from read only ?

not sure? perhaps as @Spinner has stated it was read only? BUT, it still doesnt make sense on my end that i tried auto update and it failed, if this in fact, auto updates, then it would suffice to say the system would automatically go from read only to writable wouldnā€™t you say? because if it doesnt, then that means, to me anyways, that auto update wont be able to be usedā€¦ as it needs to unmount or make the drive writableā€¦and obviously mine for some reason when applying the auto updates fails every timeā€¦thus failing to unmount the drive?

im in the middle of producing a new track and since im a lonely mortal now and not support then i can spend my time as i see fit :slight_smile:

Itā€™s easy to check if itā€™s read-only.
ssh into the ATV and use the command:
mount

The look at listing for /boot and see what it says.
If itā€™s read only then you can use the
fsck /dev/sda1

If you safely shutdown at that point, when you restart the ATV, then /boot should be Read-Write.

But again, As long as you are running the latest version of OSMC, the update process will do the fsck for you.

1 Like

@Toast I Wasnā€™t suggesting you should contribute to the wiki.
I wish other people would, but no big deal IMO.

i want to but time is always fleeting

amen to that.

ill give this a shot in a minute and let ya know

@spinner

/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,stripe=1024,data=ordered)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=122340k,nr_inodes=30585,mode=755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=23,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type hfsplus (ro,noatime,umask=22,uid=0,gid=0,nls=utf8)
sysfs on /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=24512k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)

this is what it says

The ā€œroā€ indicates it is mounted read-only so you could execute sudo fsck /dev/sda1 as indicated by @spinner

1 Like

thanks thats what i was wondering if ro meant read only?

is it odd that the sda2 is wr? or is it because the system is set up on sda1 that makes it ro?

No, generally both should be rw (read-write). As mentioned why your boot drive (/dev/sda1) is read-only is what needs to be found out (e.g. unclean unmounting).
So run the fsck and see what it says.

1 Like