Can we now do auto updates?

sudo reboot

THANKS TOAST!!!

im sorry for all the qā€™s

DANG IT!!

it showed that it installedā€¦ it rebooted to kodiā€¦ i checked system settings info

it showed 4.2.3-7 osmc

then a few seconds later it a pop up showed stating:

error installing atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc (7)

please report this on the osmc forumsā€¦ DANG IT!

BUT it is showing an update is available againā€¦

what should i do now?

sorry @TOAST! uve been a gigantic help and i appreciate it, for some reason it just wont updateā€¦

it installed alot of updates on last try so try again see if fails again no harm in trying again

1 Like

will do, ill see what happens!

just use the kodi interface? or force update again using the command lines u showed me above?

try the command line i seldom use the myosmc app :slightly_smiling:

plus its good for you to learn how to use linux :wink:

1 Like

hahaha true! ok ill give it a shot again! i guess i have to force it again as well? as it never works unless i doā€¦

also in the osmc updates settings it shows a choice of apply hotfix? what is that do you know?

if a small bug is discovered Sam uses that to pump out a quick fix :slightly_smiling:

and yes if it update stuck of fails you can use the -f option to try again :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

thanks ill try yet again to --force-y and see if it has any other issuesā€¦

well this is what it has said:

The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
atv-image-4.2.3-6-osmc
Use ā€˜apt-get autoremoveā€™ to remove it.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

so i guess its good?

but still needs to update correct? from what im seeing its basically back to where i startedā€¦

do this

uname -a

if it says

atv-image-4.2.3-7-osmc then its all good

then its just saying that there is an old kernel thats not in use anymore and thats perfectly fine

ok will do thanks ill let ya know once it reboots!

it says: Linux osmc 4.2.3-7-osmc #1 Mon Jan 25 18:21:33 UTC 2016 i686 GNU/Linux

cool, but in the system settings it still shows compiled november, and kodi 15.2ā€¦ should it say something else?

Nope you all up2date with no fiasco :wink:

2 Likes

touche`

thanks man! i guess i have to --force-yes on every update from now on then right? as its the only way it would update for meā€¦

just remember that ATV is a fairly old hardware and that its not future proof so keep an eye out for announcements from Sam regarding ATV im just glad that you guys got Isengard and hopefully Jarvis once its ready.

1 Like

yes sir will do, im almost considering buying one of sams boxes anyways, as yes this ā€¦is just thatā€¦old! and its getting more difficult and taking more time for sam and others to wright code for it, and ultimatly might just end up leading to these being itunes servers or somethingā€¦

If it wasnt for me having two raspberry pi i would opt for the vero2 seems like fun toy to play around with :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah i was gonna go raspi, or another one, or the vero2, but might just go zotach small computer with winblows on themā€¦or the nuc

Authentication issues are caused by an on-going mirror problem we are trying to resolve. Trying an hour later is always a good bet. No issue on your side.

I will try and support AppleTV until 2017. Post-Jarvis makes that challenging and a decrease month on month in aTV in users makes it less rewarding.

If support is your long term goal (buy hardware and have it work for a very long time), the Vero 2 may be a good plan. Vero 2 gets new features and performance improvements until 2019, and security updates until 2021. After then, weā€™ll review the userbase to see if further improvements will still be useful and it obviously wonā€™t stop working.

Pi isnā€™t a bad bet either, an is quite economical.

Do not invest money, in 2016, in a device from 2007.

1 Like

+1 on this.
The one compelling thing the ATV1 has going for it, is the multiple video output options.
Unfortunately itā€™s old hardware and Sam is just keeping it out of the nursing home a bit longer. hehe

@J2048b

You shouldnā€™t have to, no.
Since your filesystem was corrupted, and needed fsck, the previous update attempts failed to complete.
Now that the update was completed, as long as your filesystem isnā€™t corrupted, future updates should work fine normally via the MyOSMC menu.

1 Like