Cannot get Full Frame 3D to work

I do have all that set…

There is some odd hidden internal state that switches it.
Just saw full HD 3D, just gorgeous, huge improvement. Did try bypassing receiver and changing TV HDMI port (while hot) to get it going initially. Then switched back thru receiver and still running until I played a HSBS file then it was stuck again in the HSBS mode playing MVC file. Reboot and can play full HD 3D again until I play HSBS file then broken.

Unfortunately the RPi1B is not capable of running this high a bit rate (~40Mb/s MVC) :disappointed: - it stops to buffer up quite often and loses A/V sync. Rubbish really and locks up and freezes quite often as well. It is not the hardware as ran Raspbmc OC faultlessly for years and I am back to regular clock and still have lots of freezes when playing around trying to get 3D operating - often at keyboard entry. Been a total waste of a couple of days time… thanks anyway. Need RPi2 after all - or recode MVC but not yet supported in ffmpeg.

Couple of points:
We no longer use 3D flags from the EDID. There are too many incorrect EDIDs out there to rely on this. Kodi settings are the only thing that affects whether 3D SBS/TAB signalling or frame packed modes are used.

Use “tvservice -s” when playing a video to check whether we are signalling SBS, TAB or FP 3D modes.

Whether a 3D video is output as FP is purely determined by the “Use Full HD modes for 3D” switch. Not by mkv tags or filename tags. You will need a valid 3D tag to get the switch to a 3D mode however (or use the video OSD).

Thanks for that… deciding that all the devs likely use RPi2s I decided had to upgrade as Pi1 probably only gets very cursory testing and it really felt like M$ first NT release (never tested).

Now have Pi2 installed and picked up 7aug15 build.

Most everything seems to work correctly now. Having a SBS stereomode flag in an MVC.mkv file will trigger 3D tag in confluence (as will the filename tagging now) and trigger MVC full HD 3D play as well, without any filename tagging. A different stereomode in mkv will trigger 3D display tag in confluence but not MVC/full HD 3D processing.

Perhaps there should be a warning on the download site that RPi1 is deprecated? If there is I missed it.

Yes tvservice -s seems to be giving the right info matching the “Use Full HD modes for 3D” switch.

One problem seems to have appeared with the upgrade: on 1 specific file (Disney Tron Legacy) that played with stopping for buffer up on RPi1, now i get decoding problems (plays smoothly) - looks like something hits the colour palette quite frequently (every 10~15s) and a bunch of 8x8pixels change colour then fixes itself up within a couple of seconds. Very obvious as it hits the top and bottom black bars mostly and is quite distracting. The same file plays fine 2D with MVC processing turned off. Is this likely hardware?

Is the Tron file a raw mkv rip of the BluRay? Can you post mediainfo?
Produce a two minute sample and (assuming that shows the issue) upload to a hosting site like dropbox or google drive and I’ll take a look.

What makes you think the RPi 1 is deprecated ?

Will all features work on the much slower Pi 1 ? No. It has always been too slow to do multi channel transcoding of DTS into AC3 for example, something the Pi 2 can do easily with it’s faster CPU.

It is also only just fast enough to play full bitrate bluray rips across a network, if you use NFS, overclock and tweak everything just right, while the Pi 2 is fast enough to do it out of the box without any tweaking.

Does the Pi 1 still get tested ? Yes of course.

It is not deprecated and will be supported for the foreseeable future as there is a massive install base, and whilst the CPU is very slow the GPU is still up to the task of high quality video playback. (It’s the same GPU as a Pi 2)

Expecting it to do everything that a Pi 2 can and do it as well when the Pi 2 has a CPU that is up to 6x faster and has twice the ram is just living in fantasy land though.

1 Like

@popcornmix as per the OP this is a MVC.mkv file from makemkv (v1.9.5) I have several others that work fine. I split off the first 10 secs using mkvmerge and it exhibits the problem twice. I did add the SBS stereo-mode flag to the mkv but this makes no difference. mediainfo of clip:

General
Unique ID : 131048078422985675586955896718725816578 (0x6296F11C5B0E8006F065461DDD652102)
Complete name : Tron.part.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 44.3 MiB
Duration : 10s 560ms
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 35.2 Mbps
Movie name : Tron: Legacy
Encoded date : UTC 2015-08-14 23:05:13
Writing application : mkvmerge v8.2.0 (‘World of Adventure’) 64bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2
Attachements : cover.jpg

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1
MultiView_Count : 2
MultiView_Layout : Side by Side (left eye first)
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=12
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 10s 552ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 33.0 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 31.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.663
Stream size : 41.5 MiB (94%)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
DURATION : 00:00:10.553000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES : 253
NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 44208710
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP : mkvmerge v8.2.0 (‘World of Adventure’) 64bit
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC : 2015-08-14 23:05:13
_STATISTICS_TAGS : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Duration : 10s 560ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.90 MiB (4%)
Title : Surround 5.1
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
DURATION : 00:00:10.560000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES : 990
NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 1991880
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP : mkvmerge v8.2.0 (‘World of Adventure’) 64bit
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC : 2015-08-14 23:05:13
_STATISTICS_TAGS : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES

Menu
00:00:00.000 : en:Chapter 01

Currently setting up DB…

@DBMandrake Honestly the RPi1 4aug15 build was terrible. Please read all my posts above. Terribly frustrating! The MVC code appears to be referencing unintialised memory. On a power cycle and immediate play of MVC file my TV says “Invalid Format” after a reboot MVC works after then playing HSBS file full frame is broken again. Obviously it was not tested before release. I do use NFS and should have been able to get it just working as you state.

I don’t see what your comments have to do with your claim that the Pi 1 is “unsupported” though ? Sure, there were a few bugs in the first Isengard release (all upstream of OSMC I might point out) but they were fixed fairly quickly and as far as I know, they were not specific to the Pi 1, the Pi 2 was also affected. In fact since omxplayer defaults to off on the Pi 2 now - there are some additional “problems” that can affect a default Pi 2 install as a consequence of some dvdplayer limitations, which don’t affect a default Pi 1 install as omxplayer still defaults to on for the Pi 1.

Bugs happen, especially on a major new release of Kodi, I’m of the habit of not switching Kodi major versions until at least the x.1 release, unless it has a must have new feature that I want. I’m still running Helix 14.2 on my Mac Mini (which is my main system) for exactly that reason. For my personal use case, Isengard doesn’t have any compelling new feature for me, so I will let the early adopters take the arrows in the back before I switch my main system… :wink:

@Popcornmix here is DB link: Dropbox - Tron.part.mkv - Simplify your life
Thanks

@DBMandrake unsupported - feels that way when the Pi 2 build from 3 days later fixes all the bugs that I was finding! If they were indeed fixed in that time frame I take my hat off to the devs!

I was hoping to get by with Pi 1 as a stopgap for 3D. Currently using Android 4K box that is much beefier than Pi 2 and same price (including box, remote and power). I have some friends who will be happy to take the Pi 1 for a low end setup. I am waiting for Nvidia Sheild to get there with MVC as i have already bumped into HEVC and had to recode and since I have OLED am also interested in 10bit. Unlikely Pi will get all that in hardware…

@xyza Thanks. Got the sample and can reproduce the problem reported.
That will have to be investigated by our codec expert who’s not around currently, but hopefully will be in the near future.

The issue is actually triggered by a scene change. Not obvious but there are two in that first 10 secs. Seeking works just fine, including across a scene change.

@xyza
I have a fix for your issue in latest firmware update. Should be in next OSMC update or you can manually replace start.elf and fixup.dat from here
Thanks for sample.

@popcornmix brilliant thanks - works. I replaced start_x.elf and fixup_x.elf - guessing these are for Pi2.

Yes, that’s right. Glad it worked.

@asa23b

Hi I seam to have the same problem you had with only getting image for one eye.

if i check tvservice I get

tvservice -mCEA
Group CEA has 15 modes:
       mode 1: 640x480 @ 60Hz 4:3, clock:25MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 2: 720x480 @ 60Hz 4:3, clock:27MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 3: 720x480 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:27MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 4: 1280x720 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 5: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz interlaced 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
(prefer) mode 16: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:148MHz progressive 3D:TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 17: 720x576 @ 50Hz 4:3, clock:27MHz progressive 
       mode 18: 720x576 @ 50Hz 16:9, clock:27MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 19: 1280x720 @ 50Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 20: 1920x1080 @ 50Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz interlaced 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 21: 720x576 @ 50Hz 4:3, clock:27MHz x2 interlaced 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
(native) mode 31: 1920x1080 @ 50Hz 16:9, clock:148MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 32: 1920x1080 @ 24Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 33: 1920x1080 @ 25Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH
       mode 34: 1920x1080 @ 30Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz progressive 3D:FP|TopBot|SbS-HH

tvservice -s
state 0x12000a [HDMI CEA (32) 3D FP RGB lim 16:9], 1920x1080 @ 23.98Hz, progressive

TV starts 3D automatically and OSMC sets to OVER/UNDER but the image is really weird.
If I turn of 3D on TV I only see top halv of an image at the bottom of screen.

You mentioned checking cables fixed this for you? Could you please elaborate?

Regards