Can't access HD connected to Pi on my mac osx

Hello, I’ve just updated to OSMC and I all of my movies on my hard drive are showing up great and I am enjoying using it. However, I want to access the Hard drive from my mac. I have downloaded samba from the App Store area and my mac gives me ‘Samba shares on osmc’ in the side bar. When i click on this it gives me Movie, TV Shows etc but there is nothing in them. I think this is accessing the SD card with OSMC on rather than my hd. I have bungled my way this far and don’t really understand most of what I am reading here with regards to SSH in to Pi etc. Is this a simple fix or is it complicated? If its not simple then I’ll stick to unplugging my HD and carrying over to my mac to copy/delete etc. Many thanks in advance. Craig (newbie)

As of RC3, attached media is also shared via Samba

Sam

Have you updated to RC3 ? In RC3 you should get an osmc share which is the home directory on the SD card and a share for each partition on your external drive. Are you saying you only have an osmc share ?

All I can see is a share for osmc, which says 15.09gb on the get info which suggests it’s the sd card only. In that are folders for Movies, Music, Pictures & TV Shows but nothing about external hdd or partition where my media is stored. Sorry but what is RC3? How do I check that it is updated to RC3? Thanks again.

Ok, just found out what it stands for. Just need to know how I update it……

Read the RC3 notes for information on updating. @DBMandrake has also identified an issue and is testing a fix.

Sam

Thanks both, just found an update on osmc settings and updating it now.

If this update doesn’t fix it for you (it might be unrelated) please post the output of the following two commands:

ls -al /media
sudo net usershare info

Similar issue. I see ‘Samba Shares on osmc’ under shared in finder. I can see my osmc folder and my external harddrive. However when I click on any of these finder closes and gives me the error: ’

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “osmc” can’t be found.

osmc@osmc:~$ ls -al /media
total 80
drwxrwxrwx  5 root root  4096 May 22 21:43 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root  4096 May 20 21:08 ..
drwx------  9 osmc osmc 16384 Jan  1  1970 943C-7D73
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   232 Mar  6 12:34 README
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 May 22 21:38 shares
drwx------ 10 osmc osmc 32768 Jan  1  1970 UNTITLED

Good morning, This is what i get from ls -al /media
But i get nothing from sudo net usershare info

Two issues at play here.

One is there was a bug in our udisks script that was preventing the correct access permissions being added to the automounter shares under some conditions - the symptoms are username/password refused for the automount shares but the osmc share would work.

I’ve fixed this last night so please run updates to get that fix.

The second issue is a bug in later versions of OS X that use SMB3 which causes exactly what you describe. I know for sure that Mavericks has this problem and Snow Leopard does not, so it occurred somewhere between those two versions.

The solution is not to try to open the shares while you’re still connected as Guest - click the Connect as button in the top right and sign in as osmc/osmc for username/password, and check the box to save these.

Once you do that you should find you can access the shares. In future if you ever find yourself browsing the share list as guest make sure you use connect as before going into a share. (Shouldn’t be necessary though if you save the password)

The diskmount-osmc package on your system is not up to date, so the file permissions for the /media shares are wrong. Are you sure you have run updates ?

Please paste the output of the following command:

dpkg -l | grep osmc

Or use the log uploader to upload your OSMC package versions.

osmc@osmc:~$ dpkg -1 | grep osmc
dpkg: error: unknown option -1

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
Use 'apt' or 'aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;

Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through 'less' or 'more' !
osmc@osmc:~$ 

I’m sure i updated it last night. I’ll have a look again now. Not sure how to use the log uploader…
Thanks again for your help.

That should be a small L not a 1 after the dash.

ii  armv6l-connman-osmc                  1.2.2                     armhf        connman for OSMC
ii  armv6l-eventlircd-osmc               1.1.4                     armhf        eventlircd for OSMC
ii  armv6l-libafpclient-osmc             0.8.1-3                   armhf        libafpclient for osmc
ii  armv6l-libnfs-osmc                   1.9.6-1                   armhf        libnfs library
ii  armv6l-librtmp-osmc                  2.4.0-7                   armhf        librtmp library
ii  armv6l-libshairplay-osmc             0.1.2                     armhf        libshairplay package
ii  armv6l-lirc-osmc                     0.9.0-5                   armhf        lirc for osmc
ii  armv6l-network-osmc                  1.3.6                     armhf        Network support for OSMC
ii  armv6l-remote-osmc                   1.1.0                     armhf        Remote support for OSMC, achieved with lirc and eventlircd
ii  armv6l-splash-osmc                   1.1.5                     armhf        Splash screen implementation for OSMC using ply-lite
ii  base-files-osmc                      1.4.3                     all          modified base-files for OSMC system
ii  diskmount-osmc                       1.2.0                     all          Disk automounting for OSMC using udisks with standby support
ii  mediacenter-addon-osmc               2.4.7                     all          OSMC addon for mediacenter
ii  mediacenter-eventclients-common-osmc 1.0.1                     all          Eventclient common resources for mediacenter
ii  mediacenter-send-osmc                1.0.0-2                   all          Eventclient send for mediacenter
ii  mediacenter-skin-osmc                1.1.6                     all          OSMC skin for mediacenter
ii  niceprioritypolicy-osmc              1.0.1                     all          Configures /etc/security/limits.d to allow NICE value to be changed
ii  perftune-osmc                        1.0.8                     all          Performance tuning tweaks for OSMC
ii  rbp-bootloader-osmc                  1.0.1-0                   armhf        Raspberry Pi Bootloader components
ii  rbp-userland-osmc                    1.1.1-11                  armhf        Raspberry Pi userland package
ii  rbp1-armmem-osmc                     1.0.0-5                   armhf        ARM accelerated functions of string.h
ii  rbp1-device-osmc                     1.0.7                     armhf        Raspberry Pi 1 metapackage
ii  rbp1-ftr-osmc                        1.3.5                     armhf        First-time-run scripts for OSMC
ii  rbp1-image-3.18.9-3-osmc             3                         armhf        Linux kernel binary image for version 3.18.9-3-osmc
ii  rbp1-kernel-osmc                     1.2.2                     armhf        Kernel meta package bringing in the latest OSMC kernel for this device
ii  rbp1-libcec-osmc                     2.1.4-3                   armhf        libcec
ii  rbp1-mediacenter-osmc                14.1.0-19                 armhf        Media Center package for OSMC
ii  smb-app-osmc                         1.1.5                     all          Samba server for OSMC with prepopulated configuration
ii  ssh-app-osmc                         1.1.3                     all          SSH server for OSMC with prepopulated configuration
ii  sysctl-osmc                          1.0.2                     all          sysctl tweaks for OSMC
ii  wireless-firmware-osmc               1.0.3                     all          Wireless firmware (proprietary) for OSMC

Just realised, sorry :smile:

You are way behind on updates. Run a full update and that should fix your issue.

Just tried a manual install and a dialogue box pops up saying Error installing: Please report this on the osmc forums. After clicking ok, it says osmc installer, there are no updates available. Am i doing this right?

I mean manual update

Please use the log uploader to upload your full logs so we can see why the upgrade is failing.

Sorry but how do I do this? From terminal or osmc?