Can't connect to wifi

I’ve installed OSMC on a Pi3 with the primary intention of playing music from a NAS.
I’m struggling to connect to my router.

(Hope this makes sense)

My OSMC
Network
Wireless
Enable adaptor is selected
Select “my router” from the list of available wifi connections.
Connect to “my router” - Yes
Slow, blue, spinning icon for 2 minutes.
Enter password.
Slow, blue, spinning icon for 2 minutes.
Connection to “my router” failed.

The password is correct.
I’ve tried re-booting the Pi.
Other devices connect to the router without obvious problems.

I have no idea what to try next (and haven’t a clue about command line).
Any help gratefully accepted.

If possible, place your Pi closer to the router or in a position with fewer obstructions between it and the router and try again. It might simply be down to a weak signal or interference from something nearby.

Edit: This post gives details of debugging WiFi issues on OSMC but you’d need to have it connected by cable to the router before you can SSH to the Pi.

If neither the RPi nor your laptop can’t connect then either you are using the wrong password, your router is too far away or your router is faulty.

Also the RPi3’s built in WiFi is known to be less than impressive so if your laptop doesn’t work there is no chance your RPi3 will work.

I think the OP can connect the laptop to the router. The confusion was introduced by a later poster, whose problem doesn’t seem to be OSMC-related. Agree it could be related to distance / signal quality.

Have you confirmed that your Regional settings are correct? If you have special characters In your Wi-Fi password, an incorrect character set or keyboard layout may cause special characters to be different. Settings, Interface Settings, Regional. Just a thought…

1 Like

I’ve tried moving the Pi closer and that hasn’t helped.
I’ll try connecting with a cable as soon as I have time.
Thanks.

I had the same problem with the Pi3 WIFI and I traced the problem to the all aluminum case degrading the signal.
If you have a medal case or for that matter any case take the bottom plate off (4 screws under the rubber pads) and try reconnecting with the cover off and the open box pointed upward.

I had the same issue after changing my wifi password. I used various solutions to this and discovered that turning off wifi encryption solved the connection problem.

I realized the problem was with old password. Because of some reasons raspberry is unable to replacement. In my case manually removing old password solved the issue.

To do this start ssh session and type following:
sudo mv /var/lib/connman /var/lib/connman.bak

I hope I helped you out.

This should no longer be an issue with the latest version of OSMC and I believe this was resolved some time ago.

They musta broken it again. Mine not working (same problem as OP) with fresh install of OSMC today.
Full wifi signal, correct password etc.

I managed to fix mine by using the simple instructions in this post:

Which image did you use?

Can you post some logs?

Used official OSMC.tv image from https://ftp.fau.de/osmc/osmc/download//installers/diskimages/OSMC_TGT_rbp2_20230606.img.gz

Will try remember to post logs later when I have a moment.

Same problem here. Downloaded the latest OSMC image for RPI3 and no way can I get it connected on the wifi, although there’s no obstruction, and the router lies less than 5 meters aways.

The Pi is in a plastic box. I’ve already installed OSMC on 3 different PIs in various places, but this time : zilch ! I just keep getting nowhere. I’m sure I’m typing in the right keys.

And my laptop just connects perfectly ton the wifi.

Any help is welcome and appreciated.

Does downloading an older image help? As a temp workaround you could download an older image and then upgrade.

If you have a network cable to hand and can get on temporarily with that there is something you can try

Why should an older image help ? I do not reject the solution, I’m just puzzled.

A wired connection is, alas, out of the question (not my choice, but I have to make do with that).

Because there may have been changes during the packaging of OSMC or package deprecations that may be missing in the newer builds. One way to try this would be to see if an older image helped and another way would be to try installing a particular package i have in mind but you’d need a cabled connection temporarily to do that.

All right, I’ll try on older image, but which one ? I’ve really no time to try them all, sorry.

Tried again to get the PI to connect to wifi, failed again, about 70 failed attempt I think. It has never been easy to set wifi the 1st time on my other OSMC Pis, but this time it’s outrageously boring…

I fear the problem lies in the hardware of the Pi somewhere, it’s so exasperating that I fear I will never again attempt any project involving a PI and wifi. Sorry for ranting, but I’m fed up.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Try the one mentioned in this post

Ok, will try it. Thanks.

Tried it and… it works like a charm ! Got connected to wifi on the secon try. Set everything I needed and I’m enjoying my PI once again. Thanks a ton to everybody.

Just one question more : how come an outdated version of OSMC just works fine and the latest one doesn’t ? So, what’s the point of this latest version ?

No quarrel here, just an honest question to get to bed less ignorant tonight.