Can't get any 3D to work

Hello,
Only recently discovered OSMC; tried it first on an “rPi 2” and was very impressed, so bought a “Vero 2” which arrived this-morning.

I’ve noticed some … interesting … differences; I’ll mention them at the end in case anyone is interested.
But it’s generally best to keep a post to 1 single subject/problem/suggestion/…, so the main query I have is this:

I simply cannot seem to get 3D to work. At all!

OK, on the “rPi”, I didn’t manage to playback 3D content either. I assumed that was because, as it was just an experiment, I didn’t bother with the hardware decode licenses, so I’d imagine it would struggle with software decoding that bandwidth of data.
However I did manage, just playing around, to set the menus to 3D mode. That worked fine; the TV (an LG) detected 3D content and switched into 3D mode; just what I’d expect.
Not, however, on the “Vero 2”. Same 3D TV (as in exactly the same TV, not just the same model - this was plugged into the end of the same HDMI cable I’d used with the rPi …). It seems as though the “Vero 2” has at least detected that there’s a 3D TV there, because I can change the menu options to 3D versions. However neither 3D mode works - the display changes so I can see (for example) the SBS images, but the TV does not detect any 3D content.

I’ve set the frame rate to auto, and looked through the forums (fora?) for other suggestions. I did find some suggested options, which aren’t present in the menus on my unit - either because they were older posts and things have changed, and/or because there’s menu differences between (for example) the “rPi” and a “Vero 2”. IIRC (it was only 3 days ago, but that was 3 days ago! :slightly_smiling:) the auto-frame rate (and “Use full HD for 3D modes”, which doesn’t seem to be present as an option on the “Vero 2”?) that I changed on the “rPi” to get 3D being recognised by the TV.

Oh, and I’ve also tried playing some 3D Blu-Ray ISO rips (made with “AnyDVD HD”) - they play fine, but again, no 3D (at least it doesn’t even try and just displays the left-eye - 2D - track).

Various posts mentioned “[/opt/vc/bin/]tvservice” as a useful diagnostic to try, to see what was reported back and ultimately negotiated as the best mode. Unfortunately, I don’t seem to have “/opt/vc/bin/”, let alone a “tvservice” command in there (or anywhere else - I checked …). So that’s not a lot of help …

The KODI log reports this:

... 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: InitWindowSystem: Using EGL Implementation: amlogic 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 720 x 480 for display 0 with 720 x 480 @ 60.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 720 x 576 for display 0 with 720 x 576 @ 50.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1280 x 720 for display 0 with 1280 x 720 @ 60.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1920 x 1080 for display 0 with 1920 x 1080i @ 60.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1920 x 1080 for display 0 with 1920 x 1080 @ 60.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1280 x 720 for display 0 with 1280 x 720 @ 50.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1920 x 1080 for display 0 with 1920 x 1080i @ 50.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1920 x 1080 for display 0 with 1920 x 1080 @ 50.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1920 x 1080 for display 0 with 1920 x 1080 @ 24.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1920 x 1080 for display 0 with 3840 x 2160 @ 30.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1920 x 1080 for display 0 with 3840 x 2160 @ 25.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1920 x 1080 for display 0 with 3840 x 2160 @ 24.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found resolution 1920 x 1080 for display 0 with 4096 x 2160 @ 24.000000 Hz 12:52:28 T:3031810048 NOTICE: Found (1920x1080@50.000000) at 23, setting to RES_DESKTOP at 16 ...

Which isn’t encouraging, I don’t think anyway, as I see no mention of 3D modes there. But then I don’t know what I’d see in the logs if there were 3D modes detected - other than the “Using EGL Implementation …” line (and, of course, the time-stamps …) it looks pretty much identical to the same log from the “rPi”. So no help there either …

So any hints as to why OSMC on a “Vero 2” might not correctly detecting/driving/… the 3D capability of the TV when the same version of OSMC on an “rPi” apparently does? Actually, scrap that - my days of academic interest in the source of these sorts of issues are long gone - I just want to resolve it! :slightly_smiling:

Thanks,

Tris (THEM).

Ps. “rPi” v.s. “Vero 2” differences.

1. Updates. The “rPi” installation image seems to have more (for example) add-ons listed out-of-the-box. I don’t fiddle with much, but I do like to have weather up by the clock; on the “rPi” version, that was trivial; on the “Vero 2” it was an hour or so before any add-ons appeared to be available (they’ve literally just appeared and the box has been up for, well, a couple of hours now, thinking about it …).
  2. Updates. I told the “Vero 2” to update itself. It did. I rebooted. It crashed. Nice kernel stack dump all down the left-hand side of the screen. Oops … OK, so I BRS’ed it and back it came, absolutely fine, no problems since. But there was something about the update from “Out of the box from an item delivered today” to “Current version” that it really didn’t seem to like …
  3. Hardware. Nice touch - I always appreciate it when manufacturers put the MAC address on a sticker. Unfortunately it wasn’t the correct MAC address. The device has an address of 00:11:22:33:44:55 (which, needless to say, does not match what it says on the sticker …), so that caused some slight confusion and, more importantly, means if they’re all shipped like that, people won’t be able to run more than one on the same network …

If you install the latest updates, the real MAC will be used.

Should be ok post-update. Shouldn’t happen again but if it does please take a quick photo.

Kodi addon repository can sometimes misbehave, I think selecting ‘Refresh repository’ can help. They use the same repository as the Pi however.

I’m travelling at the moment but I’ll take a look at 3D when I get back.

Sam

If you install the latest updates, the real MAC will be used.

Excellent - thanks. I read that, checked, and you’re quite correct - it has been.
Good thing I put both in our DHCP reservation table :slightly_smiling:

Should be ok post-update. Shouldn’t happen again but if it does please take a quick photo.

Hasn’t happened since (though I’ve not rebooted - no reason to). I’m pretty sure yes, it’s stable, just thought I’d mention it.
As for the 'photo though - would something like this be what you meant?

I just happened to take a picture of it before power-cycling. Doesn’t show an awful lot of stack trace I’m afraid, and old kernel logs don’t seem to be kept (quite understandably), so I’m afraid that’s the best I can do there :frowning: Especially since I don’t expect it to happen again :slightly_smiling:

Kodi addon repository can sometimes misbehave, I think selecting ‘Refresh repository’ can help. They use the same repository as the Pi however.

Yes OK, that makes sense. It appeared … eventually … so it’s not a problem; I was just surprised at the time taken, esp. when the “rPi” version updated pretty much immediately, best I could tell.

I’m travelling at the moment but I’ll take a look at 3D when I get back.

Thank you very much for the quick and helpful response; safe travels; and I’ll look forward to any update on the 3D at your convenience. Much appreciated!

Sam

Tris.

Hi Tris

Thanks. You’re right in that some times the panic can get chopped off the screen , but hopefully with the latest update you won’t be seeing any more

Sam

Well there’s a funny thing …

OSMC seems to think the TV is only capable of 720p, despite what’s recorded in the original Kodi log (original post). That certainly isn’t going to help when it comes to playing 3D content :slightly_smiling:

So what’s in the current log? Well, unfortunately entries like this:

... 22:25:34 T:3031302144 NOTICE: InitWindowSystem: Using EGL Implementation: amlogic 22:25:34 T:3031302144 WARNING: UpdateResolutions: ProbeResolutions failed. Trying safe default. 22:25:34 T:3031302144 NOTICE: Found resolution 1280 x 720 for display 0 with 1280 x 720 @ 60.000000 Hz 22:25:34 T:3031302144 NOTICE: Found (1280x720@60.000000) at 16, setting to RES_DESKTOP at 16 ...

and …

... 22:25:35 T:3031302144 WARNING: JSONRPC: Could not parse type "Setting.Details.SettingList" ... 22:25:47 T:2909795312 WARNING: CSkinInfo: failed to load skin settings 22:26:18 T:3031302144 ERROR: Window Translator: Can't find window settingsprofile ...

The system reports the display resolution as “Windowed” (sorry, don’t know what it means by that …), 1280x720p - that at least agrees with both what the T.V. reports as the selected mode and what the log does. So that’s a good start; the question now is why is the “Vero 2” not recognising the correct T.V. capabilities? OK, so the other questions are “How do I fix it” and, of academic interest, “Why has it changed and why did it previously not display in 3D even when it thought the T.V. could at least handle 1920x1080p?”, but still …

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice to the White Rabbit …

Well that’s apparently one mystery (partially) solved anyway - it seems the “Vero 2” does not like driving HDMI through our switch-box …

Having (shut down and) unplugged the “Vero 2”, then used a different HDMI input (not through a switch-box), and OSMC has correctly recognised that the T.V. is capable of 1920x1080p and that’s how it’s brought it up.

Now, this is interesting … I’ve run OSMC on a “rPi 2”, using exactly the same switch-box (heck, using exactly the same lead plugged into exactly the same port!) and it detected a 3D capable display and allowed me to put the menus into 3D mode correctly (didn’t try playing 3D content as OSMC on an “rPi 2” was just an experiment to see whether it was worth buying a “Vero 2” box - and I still believe it was …). I’ve also quite happily played back 3D content from an LG 3D Blu-Ray player plugged into the same port and using the same lead. So other devices, including OSMC on a different hardware platform, have been able correctly to figure out the T.V. capabilities. The switch box is supposedly (and actually, as the LG player works through it) 3D capable, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

So now OSMC on our “Vero 2” is at least driving the display … let’s go with “properly”. However it still won’t display 3D content. I can now force the menus into 3D mode, though they don’t actually appear 3D and the T.V. doesn’t recognise 3D content so I just get 2 SBS (or TAB) images; if I then manually kick the T.V. into 3D mode, and select SBS, I get a single display back again but the image does not appear to be 3D. If I start a 3D movie, the T.V. reports kicking itself back out of (forced) 3D mode into 2D.

So another step in hopefully the right direction, but still no 3D …

I will take a look at this for you in a couple of days

Sam

Thanks!

Entirely at your convenience - I appreciate how busy you must be. At least you’re back from your travelling now, I assume? :slightly_smiling:

Tris.

I have not returned yet. I will be travelling back tomorrow

So, can Vero2 play 3DBD (MVC) ISO images using Frame Pack Full Res? Is it supported currently?

@nikkikom, I wouldn’t take anything in this thread as indicating what might, or might not, play - I think I probably have a very setup-specific 3D problem (and probably something silly :slightly_smiling:).

But I can assure you that my “Vero 2” is perfectly happy playing 3DBD ISO rips (and very nicely too) … I’m just kinda’ missing the 3D part at the moment (plays in 2D instead). And I’m confident that will be resolved in time :slightly_smiling:

So not a definitive answer (you can only get that from the OSMC team), but personally I’m confident.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the answer. I already know it plays streams for one eye on 3DBD rips. But I could not get it to play in 3D FP.

So I’d like to know if I should try further or if I should calm down for a while if it is not supported for the moment.

1 Like

Calming down is always good, @nikkikom :slightly_smiling:

That’s the whole reason I’ve got one of these "Vero 2"s. As soon as I’m satisfied it’s all working correctly (and in 3D :slightly_smiling:) I’ll be buying more to replace our existing units (different manufacturer; not happy …).

The OSMC team will get there. Give 'em a little time - they seem quite busy at the moment :slightly_smiling:

Since last I updated this post, I’ve been reading others in the fora and some of them made me think … Particularly the posts about CEC problems.
Now CEC isn’t going to be involved here (though I did notice something possibly interesting about that - back to that in a moment …) but that’s not the only control protocol in use here - there’s also EDID.

On an “RPi”, you can use utilities such as tvservice to poke at the EDID information; on a “Vero 2” that command isn’t there (so obviously you can’t :slight_smile:). There also doesn’t seem to be anything in any of the setup screens on the “Vero 2” (even putting the menus into Expert mode) that show, or allow override of, that information.

So I can’t confirm (or deny) whether that’s anything to do with it. But it’s perhaps a possibility …

Meanwhile, it occurred to me that I’ve broken the cardinal rule of a support post and haven’t included any debug log information (silly me) - so please find some here. That’s from reboot; browsing to the folder containing “Prometheus”; starting it playing; leaving for a few minutes; stopping it; disabling debugging. One possibly interesting thing I did notice from a quick browse through it (other than that it already performed quite a bit of a library refresh in just that short time, so sorry about all the irrelevant information in there …) was:

DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogBusy.xml) ------
DEBUG: CAMLCodec::SetVideo3dMode:mode3d(0x0)
DEBUG: CAMLCodec::SetVideoRect:display(0,0,1920,1080)
DEBUG: CAMLCodec::SetVideoRect:gui(0,0,1920,1080)
DEBUG: CAMLCodec::SetVideoRect:m_dst_rect(0,0,1920,1080)
DEBUG: CAMLCodec::SetVideoRect:dst_rect(0,0,1920,1080)
DEBUG: CAMLCodec::SetVideoRect:m_stereo_mode(0)
DEBUG: CAMLCodec::SetVideoRect:m_stereo_view(0)

SetVideo3dMode:mode3d(0x0)”? I have absolutely no idea what that log entry means, but it doesn’t look too good so far as getting a 3D image is concerned :slight_smile:. Doubt setting stereo_mode or stereo_view to 0 are going to help much either! :slight_smile:

Other things …

In the video settings, even when the correct display resolution shows up it’s still described as “Windowed” (and whatever that means, it’s not something which can be changed). Hopefully someone will tell me that’s safely ignorable, but “windowed” suggests (to me) that the system seems to think it’s somehow driving a subset of the actual display area.
When I first set up the “Vero 2”, I did use the over-scan adjust functionality to re-size the display (only about 1/2 of the corner arrows were initially visible). I wondered whether that might be having some effect, so I reset everything in that setup section to default (and that’s how it should be in those log files), but that didn’t make any difference (either to the display being described as “Windowed” or to playing back 3D content).

CEC … When the “Vero 2” was connected through a switch box, it correctly identified itself to the TV as “Kodi”. Now it’s connected directly, the TV seems either not to receive that information, or chooses to ignore it - the input channel description stays at “LG 3D Blu-ray player” (what was on that HDMI input before I swiped it for the “Vero 2”).
I don’t consider that any sort of problem, but it’s curious that the CEC device ID exchange no longer seems to be happening. I wonder whether whatever seems to be stopping that might also be causing issues retrieving the EDID information? Again, probably not, but possibly worth mentioning …

Hi

The CEC problems are annoying. It seems that CEC works for a while, but the connection just ‘drops’. I still have hopes for the libCEC driver, but have just been a bit busy bug hunting in general.

The EDID is parsed and the ‘interpreted’ version is exposed as a sysfs parameter. You can check yours with

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid 
```

You can also see what 3D modes your TV/AVR are advertising with:

```
cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap_3d
```

I will investigate the 3D issue for you today. It would be great if you could run ```MediaInfo``` output on one of your 3D files and post the output. You can run ```sudo apt-get install mediainfo``` to get the tool to do that.

Cheers

Sam
1 Like

Excellent - thank you, I knew about neither of those. The results are as follows:

root@Arthur:/home/osmc# cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid
Receiver Brand Name: GSM
Receiver Product Name: LG
EDID block number: 0x1
blk0 chksum: 0xe6
Source Physical Address[a.b.c.d]: 2.0.0.0
native Mode f1, VIC (native 31):
ColorDeepSupport b8, MaxTMDSClock 60
16 31 4 19 5 20 3 2 18 32 33 34 21 1 93 94 95 98 99 100 95 94 93 98
Audio {format, channel, freq, cce}
{7, 5, 6, 0}
{2, 5, 7, 0}
{1, 1, 57, 7}
Speaker Allocation: 0
Vendor: c03
Rx 3D Format Support List:
{VIC FramePacking TopBottom SidebySide}
{ 16 0 1 1 }
{ 31 0 1 1 }
{ 4 1 1 1 }
{ 19 1 1 1 }
{ 5 1 1 1 }
{ 20 1 1 1 }
{ 3 1 1 1 }
{ 2 1 1 1 }
{ 18 1 1 1 }
{ 32 1 1 1 }
{ 33 1 1 1 }
{ 34 1 1 1 }
{ 21 1 1 1 }
{ 1 1 1 1 }
{ 93 0 1 1 }
{ 94 0 1 1 }
{ 95 0 0 0 }
{ 98 0 0 0 }
{ 99 0 0 0 }
{ 100 0 0 0 }
{ 95 0 0 0 }
{ 94 0 1 1 }
{ 93 0 1 1 }
{ 98 0 0 0 }
root@Arthur:/home/osmc# cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap_3d
1080p50hz TopBottom SidebySide
root@Arthur:/home/osmc#

mediainfo output is slightly tricker as it’s a Blu-Ray 3D ISO image (a backup; we have all 3 original discs, but prefer not to play the discs themselves because of the appalling quality of optical media production these days …). However the main title seems to be 00916 (in “\BDMV\STREAM\”); the MediaInfo for that is here (at 263 lines, I thought your handy pastebin would be better for that than pasting it in here :slight_smile:) …

Hopefully that, plus the earlier log files, are what you need; obviously if not then do please ask (though I might not be as responsive as I sometimes am as I’m sitting here nursing a nasty cold and toothache …).

Many thanks, as always, for the prompt and effective support - have a great Sunday!

Hi

I have dusted off the 3D glasses and had to charge a pair. I tried this demo: http://www.demo-world.eu/download-3d-trailers/?file=3d_hdclub_3d_showreel-DWEU.m2ts&pic=3d_hdclub_3d_showreel.jpg. It’s a 3D SBS clip.

When I pressed play, Kodi prompted me as to whether I’d like to use the ‘Preferred mode’ or Monoscopic 2D. When I chose Preferred Mode I received a toast informing me stereoscopic had be chosen. The Kodi interface also switched to 3D SBS. I did have to manually enable 3D on my projector however – the automatic signalling needs some work.

cat /sys/class/ppmgr/ppmgr_3d_mode

Gives me 0x0 too. I’m not sure of the relevance of this (will dig). The module parameter is owned by the video group, so Kodi is able to adjust that if it chooses too.

I’d be interested in knowing if you can play back that demo clip.

Sam

1 Like

Thanks @sam_nazarko - pulling it at the moment (but as we’re having “slight ISP issues”, and have been since August, it will take somewhere between 40 seconds and 7 1/2 hours :slight_smile:) - I’ll update you whenever it’s got here!

1 Like

Well well well, now there’s an interesting thing …

OK, first things first - the important stuff - full logs here.

Executive summary:
Didn’t switch the TV into 3D mode, and the TV didn’t automagically recognise it as 3D either.
Perfect pair of HD SBS images.
Manually kicked the TV into 3D SBS mode and lo, glorious 3D images.

So that’s definitely a step in … well, at least somewhere near the right direction :slight_smile:
Now we just have to hope the logs reveal something of use …

@DBMandrake says 3D doesn’t work for him at all on the three movies he’s tried. I will find out what he’s been watching and get a sample file off him so I can replicate the issue first hand.

Will keep you posted.

1 Like