Can't mount previously mounted USB HDD

Actually windows 10 “modified” the “safely removing” option.

They did not actually modify the safely remove option. What they did is change to default behavior for certain types of partition formats (FAT) and the relevant behavior for drives that would be used in media storage (FAT32, exFAT, NTFS) have always been defaulted to “quick removal”. That windows option only changes the write cache. A person could disable the write cache in Linux as well if they wanted to.

Did you read the link? They added an option which was not presented before (ofcourse you could deactivate it in other ways), so they “modified” the option?

Yes I did, and the Microsoft article it linked to as well. Both were poorly written. That setting has been there in the same place doing the same thing since at least Windows 2000. The change was to make all USB devices “quick removal” by default instead of it being file system dependant.

2 Likes

So iam here on Windows 7 Ultimate and i dont have this option when iam going under

"
Go to Start Menu > Disk Management.
Select your disk, right click on it, and go to Properties > Policies.
Select Better Performance option to enable it.
"

So it cant be there since 2000…

Go to device manager and pull up the property of the drive under disks. You also have to be looking at a USB connected device. That option is not applicable to permanently mounted disks. The exception to this is some oddball USB controllers, or drive adapters that don’t present themselves to the operating system in a normal way. I have not seen one of those in probably a decade though.

Yes but thats not how it is on windows 10 because there it is under the disc management (and on old windows 10 versions its still under the device manager) thats why they have “modified” it? Thats what iam talking about.

You can bring up the properties of a drive in either place in Windows 10.

EDIT: I just looked on a Windows 7 computer. The properties can be pulled up from both disk management or device manager. The “quick removal” option is under the policy tab and is called “Enable write caching on the device” with that option unchecked being “quick removal”.

On the ultimate version? Strange on mine there is not even a Policy Tab (only under the device manager).

Edit: Ok its under Hardware -> Policies thats why i didnt find it.

Darwin I’ve been following this thread to learn all I can about OSMC, Vero, Linux, etc. and especially anything to with external drives.

The OP said and posted a link that the drive he’s using is a portable drive (No Power).

Crazy question:

When he hooks the drive up to his PC (enough power) = no problems
Hooks up to OSMC Vero (not enough power) = problems

Like I say, I don’t know crap about Linux, but I thought I read somewhere that Vero doesn’t take kindly to unpowered drives.

That is a good thought. I assume Kontrarian knows well enough to limit bus powered drives to a single unit otherwise use a powered hub. I double checked to make sure there was not kind of some unusual power demand from that being a 5tb 2.5" drive. Although Seagate does not provide that information in the spec sheet I assume it is an equivalent to their Barracuda which lists a max average draw of 420mA which should be completely fine.

The context I was making that statement in was that these external drives are all SATA inside and they have a USB to SATA converter inside of them. There are quite a few different converters available and some can cause issues with particular setups where others don’t have a problem. These adapters are tested with common setups to make sure they work correctly, so for most people they would never notice the difference between any of them. Unfortunately when you step outside of what had been tested there can be bugs that show up. We don’t know that this is the case here, but it is an possibility to consider.

There was a thread that closed yesterday with a gentleman that had file system corruption issues he spent months trying to track down. He discovered his Orico brand external case was the cause. I have used an Orico docking station in Windows for years and never found a fault. I would suspect there is an issue with that device and the linux driver it uses. It happens.

I bought 2 exact same WD 4tb drives a while back and had them hooked up to my WD TV box. For some unknown reason, one of the drives became corrupt and I could never use it with the WD box again. I tried everything for weeks but could never get it to work. The drive works fine hooked up my PC and Vero. Sometimes you scratch your head and blame it on Murphy’s Law or Gremlin’s.

@Toast
You’re a fool.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

1. No one said it’s your fault.
  2. The drive did not fail.
  3. SMART data shows that everything is 100% healthy.
  4. Owning one Windows device doesn’t make me a Windows user. I have over a dozen *nix based devices. My Vero has four HDDs attached to that are all ext4.

Do me a favor and keep your nose out of my threads.
You’re nothing more than an obnoxious troll.

My drives are on a powered hub when they are connected to the Vero.
The only time I plugged it directly into the Vero without the powered hub is when I was trying to isolate it when trouble shooting.
Normal operation is on a powered hub.

The datasheet: https://media.flixcar.com/f360cdn/Seagate-52556254-barracuda-2-5-DS1907-2-1907US-en_US.pdf

sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda reported it as a ST5000LM000, so like you said power is sufficient even on USB2.0.

Their marketing jargon even boasts this:

Low startup current configurations enable use in legacy low-current systems like USB-2 external boxes, while simultaneously lowering power consumption.

As I’ve been reading through the thread trying to learn about Linux ( which I know nothing of ) you were running test that gave you results of “Unknown USB bridge”. I googled “Unknown USB bridge Linux” and came across this:

At the bottom he stated that he got it working by doing this:

Now to make gsmartcontrol recognize the disk, I had to Device > Add Device , put /dev/sdb in Name and select sat,16 for Type . So this pretty much solves this particular question.

Like I say, I don’t have a clue about Linux, but I thought I would show it to you just in case.

That’s what I figured it was (and the spec sheet I looked at). I find it annoying the the paper listed as a “spec sheet” for the external drive says nothing about power draw.

Out of the mouth of babes!

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo smartctl -d sat -t short -C /dev/sdd
smartctl 6.6 2016-05-31 r4324 [aarch64-linux-3.14.29-152-osmc] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===
Sending command: "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in captive mode".

But…

Command "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in captive mode" failed: Connection timed out

Closer, but still not working…

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo smartctl -d sat,12 -t short -C /dev/sdd
smartctl 6.6 2016-05-31 r4324 [aarch64-linux-3.14.29-152-osmc] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===
Sending command: "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in captive mode".
Command "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in captive mode" failed: Connection timed out

I thought you only had the drive in question connected? If that’s the case then it should be /dev/sda

To help keep your sanity, while you are testing it’s best to only have the drive in question connected. That way the sdX shouldn’t change.