CEC not working on first boot

Hello, When I switch my tv and pi on (at the same powerpoint) OSMC boots up but I can’t control it with my tv remote control (CEC). Instead I have to switch the pi off at the power and plug it back in. The tv then recognises it as a simp link device and I a able to control OSMC with my remote. It is as if the pi is powering up quicker than the tv and the tv not recognising it. I know most people leave the pi on all the time but i would to switch everything on in the morning and switch it off at night. thanks in advance.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#TV_is_not_detected_unless_powered_on_first

Ace! Many thanks.

I can’t even SSH into the pi now. It asks for a password and I’ve tried raspberry and osmc and nothing works :frowning:

Also, how do you get to the raspberry pi before OSMC boots up?

When you SSH in, the username/password (default) is osmc/osmc
I don’t know that you can get to the Pi before the OS (OSMC) boots up fully, but if it boots but shows nothing on your screen/monitor/TV then it should still be possible to login using SSH (its a well known way to fix things)
Derek

The SSH login and password are both osmc.

If you mean how do you get to a local console login with a USB keyboard without allowing Kodi to boot, hold down the CTRL key during boot until you see a login prompt.

c???g-s??????s-imac:~ c???gs?????s$ ssh pi@192.168.?.?
OSMC: Open Source Media Center
pi@192.168.?.?'s password: 
Permission denied, please try again.
pi@192.168.?.?'s password:

I’ve tried osmc here and raspberry but it says permission denied. I’ll try the ctrl button on the pi itself, but I’m not confident in trying to copy that edid.dat file without my computer.

As I said, the login is osmc, not pi. :wink:

:blush: Ooops! sorry.
Thanks for bearing with me. I’ll get there. :smile:

Me again…sorry.
Still not been able to use my OSMC properly without having to switch it off and back on again after the tv has been powered on. I checked out the link above which gave me these instructions;

2.7 TV is not detected unless powered on first

Link

Some TVs/receivers only report their capabilities (EDID) through HDMI when powered on before the Pi.
If TV doesn’t get the right resolution or CEC doesn’t work when Pi is powered before the TV/receiver then you can:
Run: sudo tvservice -d edid.dat (after booting with TV/receiver powered on first)
copy the edid.dat to the FAT partition (/boot on raspbmc and /flash on openelec)
and add to config.txt: hdmi_edid_file=1 and hdmi_force_hotplug=1
Note: if you change TV/receiver or use a different HDMI input you should capture a new edid.dat file

Can someone explain how I do this in laymans terms please? How do I run sudo tvservice -d edid.dat? When my Pi boots it goes straight to OSMC each time. Thanks again

So, you power it up with the TV turned on, let it settle,
then you SSH in and perform the instructions sudo tvservice -d edid.dat sudo cp edid.dat /boot
next you sudo nano /boot/config.txt
and add the lines:
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
Finish off with Ctrl-x, and say ‘save’
HTH
Derek

I’m pretty sure you can do this in MyOSMC, go toMyOSMC>PiConfig>Display and check “Store hdmi to file” then reboot

cc @Karnage

dandnsmith: Ok, but when you say SSH in, is this done through OSMC somewhere?
Dilligaf: I will try this as I know how to get into MyOSMC

Thank you both

Yes - if you can see what is happening

But - you were doing this in earlier posts

I’ve looked back and I did this through my iMac. Is this where I do it? Sorry, getting lost a bit…

Yes

Ok, will try it through my imac tonight. Thanks and I’ll let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed :smile:

Dilligaf: I done this

I’m pretty sure you can do this in MyOSMC, go toMyOSMC>PiConfig>Display and check “Store hdmi to file” then reboot

and it worked for me when i turned the tv off and then turned it back on. It remembered the CEC thing and I could use my remote, so this is great! Thanks

dandnsmith: I followed this via Terminal on my iMac

So, you power it up with the TV turned on, let it settle,
then you SSH in and perform the instructions

sudo tvservice -d edid.dat
sudo cp edid.dat /boot
next you

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
and add the lines:
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
Finish off with Ctrl-x, and say ‘save’
HTH
Derek

I switched off everything and then powered up everything at the same time and it’s still the same :frowning: Basically, if I turn on the pi at the same time or before the TV then it won’t work. I have to switch the pi off and restart it. I think I will just have to live with this and maybe buy a switch USB lead so i can just turn it off and on again easy.

Thanks everyone for your help.