Changing resolution

Hi,

First of all, what a piece of kit this Vero is. I’ve had it for some months now and I’m loving it.

I do have an issue I hope somebody would be able to help with though:

I have a 4k TV so I’d like the resolution to stay at 3840x2160p. But it keeps changing back to 1920x1080p. I’m not sure why, maybe when I play HD content rather than 4k content. Is there a way to keep the resolution at 3840x2160p? Slightly annoying when I want to play 4k content and I have to check the resolution is set right.

I’ve searched on here and found a solution of turning on the “Lock HDMI HPD”. I’ve done that, and it is keeping the resolution at 3840x2160p. But I have to restart the Vero to get a picture. The Vero is connected to my AV receiver. So everything works fine, and then when I change the input on the receiver to something other than the Vero and then back to the Vero, the screen is just black. Only solution seems to be to unplug power and then plug it back in again.

Cheers,
Chris

1 Like

We don’t recommend you run the GUI at 4k. Set it to 1080p and use the whitelist for 4k modes and you should be good. But if you insist with HPD lock on, the blank screen could be something to do with your AVR.

OP doesn’t need to use whitelisting – he can just enable Adjust Refresh Rate and leave the whitelist empty.

We recommend people with 4K TV’s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

Unless he wants the TV to handle DVDs, web content and broadcast TV in native resolution.

Is this advice still relevant to newer devices? Just upgraded my TV from 1080p to 4k and wondering whether I should set the GUI to 4k as well on the Vero V.

You are likely still best served with the existing recommend. The Vero V does support a 4K GUI but the whitelisting system as it exists right now can cause some issues when you do so as the behavior is to switch to an optimal display mode on playback start that is at the UI resolution or higher. A given display may not support all the same refresh rates in 4K that they do in 2K. If one wanted to run like this they should optimally also run a custom whitelist after reading the whitelist howto linked in that post.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks. Should I leave it on the default refresh rate of 24 or bump it up to 60/120? LG G3 OLED TV.

With the UI set to 24fps you may be able to spot a little lack of smoothness with transitions so setting it higher may be prefered. My recommend would be to set the UI to 1080p at the framerate of the content you watch most often to minimize how often you have to see the TV change display modes (ie 50hz UK or 59.976hz US).

50hz it shall be then :+1:

1 Like