Cheapest way to ambilight clone?

It could grow arms arms and legs with ‘options’ because people with different size TVs will require different LED strip lengths but perhaps offering a LED strip that is 2mtrs (and can be cut to length) might suffice.

Here’s my wish list

Power Supply (capable of power everything in one go 5v/10Amp would be a good coverall
example
- preferably with two tails or a connector to split the output into two
The best way I can describe this with this four way example (not a bad example as it would provide for possible future expansion e.g. a second Pi assuming the power supply is not being overloaded - another good reason for the 10Amp one above)
Each output on the splitter would have a dedicated lead for required device to be powered in this case we need two different types (one end of each lead has the male connector that is the right fit for the splitter ouputs) the other ends are two different

one goes to micro USB plug for Pi, length to be agreed/decided
one to supply power to whatever connector is on for LEDs, length to be agreed/decided) I think there was a connector like the female one here already there that I cut off - will need to confirm.
But this second connector has the Poerw * ground on the outside pins and the data lines are the inside two (at least on the LPD8806) so the LED ends of the 2nd leads needs a seperate tail of two wires from the center pins to connect to Raspberry Pi GPIO data pins.
Maybe this is easier

LED Strip 2Mtrs there is a variety supported by Hyperion
for example: LPD8806, LPD6803, Sedu, Lightberry, Adalight,Lightpack, Paintpack (taken from the Hypercon.jar configuration utility and could be out of date). I used the LPD8806 they come in a weather proof tubing which helps keep things safe. The LPD8806 LEDs can be cut to length or can be extended by plugging (or soldering) more on.

Maybe this is easier - each letter represents a different connector…

The dotted black line (between E and C) is there because I think the Grounds need to be connected.
(Mine had both Ground and Power between the LEDS and Pi directly but this config is different and I think better but needs to be confirmed by someone who knows this stuff better)
A = Female connectors from Power Supply - connecting to
B = Male connectors
F = Micro USB connector for power to Pi
E = GPIO header plugs
C = Female LED connector
D = Male LED connector
Note how the C connector has two seperate tails going in different directions - one to Pi and one to Power
My guess is that the cable C,E,B needs to be specified and manufactured and I am not sure if there is an off the shelf version of B,F. But the rest are probably available off the shelf.

I don’t like connectors so here is an alternate where one cable incorporating E,C,B,F connectors might do the whole job.

Finally…

Raspberry Pi probably not required or optional as people may already have one

Double Sided Sticky Tape say 2.5Mtr length to mount Pi and LED strip on back of TV

The more I think about it… a suitable beefed up power supply (5v/10Amp) + one of those E,C,B,F cables might well be the killer product letting people source specified/compatible LEDs and sticky tape themselves.

Had fun with this - the finished product (power supply omitted)…

I would have killed for this a year ago :smile: