Connect to USB drive on VERO 4K+ from Mac via Samba

Seems like it might be a quicker troubleshooting method at this point.
I’ll follow this

then install Samba from the App Store.
Then update here…
Thanks again, much appreciated

Yeah please do so, it should just work out of box. If not let us troubleshoot before manual changes m

OSMC reinstall went smoothly.
Installed Samba Server from App Store.
No other settings modified as yet.
SSH tunnel from Mac via terminal, changed default password.
Nothing else done via terminal.
“Connect to Server” via Mac (using Connect as, with OSMC login) OSMC & HUBDISK (external drive attached to Vero) accessible. Read/write to drive all good.
So all OK out of the box. Not sure what happened with first setup, I may have changed a setting without realising or some such.

What I would like to do before transferring all my files to the external drive is check that it’s formatted correctly. It seems to be, would like to confirm though.
Hoping it’s 1 partition only, formatted as EXT4. I believe this is the ideal setup for an external drive being used with the Vero 4K+.

Also, is there a way of checking that all is good with the install & system in general?
Cheers

You can run lsblk -f that tells you all the structure and filesystem

No specific command but what should be wrong?

Just my paranoia :slight_smile: I’m sure it’s fine

osmc@osmc:~$ lsblk -f
NAME FSTYPE LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                                   
└─sda1
     ext4   HUBDISK
                  bc6d84d7-27f8-4a3e-9453-568641ca7567    5.1T     0% /media/HUB
mmcblk0

mmcblk0boot0

mmcblk0boot1

mmcblk0rpmb

I assume that answers your question

Certainly looks that way, thanks

Something I had trouble with on the first setup was ensuring that the files on the external were accessible for playback, and that metadata for the files would be retrieved from the internet, from (I think) TMDB. This is all I’ll be doing with the Vero at this stage, just playback from the ext hd.
I need to add the ext hd as a “source”, I believe. And turn on a setting for the metadata retrieval. There didn’t seem to be anything in the OSMC/Vero wiki for this, is there somewhere I can easily find this information?

We don’t have a OSMC specific information as the general Kodi instructions applies
https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources
https://kodi.wiki/view/Updating_or_removing_videos#Removing_sources

Okay, thanks. This is what I’m after :slight_smile:
Cheers

I would add the following to your reading list as the file names and folder structure have a large impact on how much cleanup you’ll have to do after the fact.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files

Thanks, I’ve been looking through this & it’s very useful