Crackling sound with some HD Audio files on a Sony 5.1

Hi,

I have an issue when playing some .mkv files with HD Audio. The rear 5.1 speakers sometimes emit a huge crackling sound making the audio unlistenable. This normally happens on 5.1 AAC audio or 5.1 DTS audio

It’s a 5.1 Sony Blu Ray player (BDVE180 I think) connected by HDMI. My HDMI goes to the Sony 5.1 then another HDMI goes to the TV.

Sometimes - if I un-check ‘enable passthrough’ then re-check it - it sorts the problem out. But not always. Sometimes this workaround doesn’t work. Sometimes it can work on the 4th or 5th attempt. I have tried a variety of settings in the system section - using a different PCM audio source, turning off passthrough , selecting different passthrough options, but the issue won’t go away.

The issue happens every so often (maybe once in every 6 or 7 video files I watch) and not always on the same file, so getting a debug log is difficult as I have no idea when it is going to happen. I can’t replicate the error every time. Before I try and get a debug log I thought I’d ask if this was a known issue and if there’s anything I can try first. Thanks

We are aware of this and are working on it.

It should not happen with DTS and passthrough, only when outputting PCM. Please confirm.

1 Like

If you mean does it happen when I have passthrough selected and DTS capable receiver selected, then yes it does. I think it happens on every setting to be honest as I’ve tried all the permutations.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing it would be useful to get some debug logs from you while the issue is occurring (best with DTS playing and also AAC). Even if it’s difficult to reproduce, could you be so kind as to provide those? Just try and reproduce the issue and upload the logs as soon as the issue has occurred.
See the following information for how to provide logs. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

So, in summary:

• activate the logging
  • reboot the OSMC device
  • reproduce the issue
  • upload the log set either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A
  • publish the provided URL from the log set upload here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

1 Like

And could you please look for the exact model number again? Am I understanding correctly that this is an all-in-one BD player and speaker system - so, no AVR involved here?

1 Like

Yes, it’s an all in one type thing, so the Blu Ray player is actually the receiver. It’s supposed to be DTS capable, Dolby Digital SS and DTS-MA capable

1. Login via the command line
  2. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Add the following line: deb http://apt.osmc.tv stretch-devel main
  4. Run the following commands to update: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot
  5. Your system should have have received the update.

Please see if the issue is resolved.

I also recommend you edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove the line that you added after updating. This will return you to the normal update channel.

Thanks Sam, is this going to be included in a forthcoming update? If it is, I’ll just wait until then.

It will be, but we like to get feedback as we don’t have a roomfull of different AVRs to test. Yours is not ‘mainstream’ so if you have time it would be good if you can test. Please leave it an hour or so, though, because a new build is in progress as we speak.

Do you have the actual model name for us? It sounded like you weren’t completely sure about it in the original post…

Hi, it’s a BDV-E280. I will struggle to test it this weekend, young kids and all that.

FYI, Your support and response time is excellent. Thanks guys.

So, the solution is what I’ve already expected it to be… The HDMI-in ports of that BD player can’t process HD audio. This is from the BDV-E280’s manual:

So, you should set you audio settings to the following:

Audio device: HDMI
Number of channels: 2.0
Output configuration: Best match
Passthrough: enabled
DTS/AC3 passthrough: enabled
DTS-HD/TrueHD/E-AC3 passthrough: disabled
AC3 transcoding: enabled

And keep in mind to disable “sync playback to display” under settings/player/videos for passthrough to work.
If you want your TV’s refresh rate to be adjusted according to the source’s frame rate, also set "Adjust display refresh rate” to Always or to On start/stop under settings/player/videos. :ok_hand:t2:

The crackling sound is most likely resolved in the next update. If you want to check it out already now: go with Sam’s advice in post #15.

If this issue is resolved for you with this advice, please mark the corresponding post as the solution for other users to easily see the solution for your initial issue. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks. So are you saying that I won’t be able to get 5.1 surround sound at all - as I have to set everything to 2.0 ?

It won’t get more than 2.0 LPCM as stated in the above excerpt from your device’s manual. The only bitstreaming formats supported are AC3 (Dolby Digital) and DTS.
If you configure the Vero as advised, you’ll get sound no matter what you play: HD audio formats will pass on the core audio (DTS for DTS-HD formats and, if present, Dolby Digital for TrueHD or E-AC3) or transcode the audio to AC3 on the fly (e.g. for all LPCM audio above 2.0). That’s the best that can be done with your AiO BD player :+1:t2:

Ok, thanks for the advice and your support

Please mark this as solved if it’s working for you. There is no need to test the alternative - it should just work with OSMC as currently installed and @Chillbo’s suggested settings.

Thanks, it seems to be working ok for now. Not had a crackling sound since going to the new settings. One question: I don’t suppose using an “optical” lead for the audio would lead to any improvement in audio quality?

Unlikely. We have never had any reports of ‘crackling’ on optical but this is now fixed on HDMI.

Sorry to open this thread up again but I have a question - When using that Sony 5.1 surround sound system - it doesn’t seem to process 4k files through the Vero to my TV. It keeps them at 1080p . Is there anything I can do to get round this? Some sort of adapter or such? Or am I bang out of luck and stuck with my TVs audio for 4k files?

Thanks

This might help you:

1 Like