Dependancy failed for local file system. After July update

Hi,

The replacement PSU and SD card don’t seem to have made a difference, which suggests that this in fact not a hardware related issue.

I haven’t heard the latest round of feedback from him, but we have a kernel in staging with numerous SD card fixes as well as a fix for an issue where the USDHC gpio pin was not being driven with enough voltage (which could cause read errors).

It would be great if an afflicted user could try the following steps:

• Download and install the June 2015 image
  • Run the following command via SSH:
wget http://apt.osmc.tv/pool/main/v/vero-kernel-osmc/vero-kernel-osmc_1.8.7_armhf.deb -O vero-kernel.deb
wget http://apt.osmc.tv/pool/main/v/vero-source-4.1.12-3-osmc/vero-image-4.1.12-3-osmc_3_armhf.deb -O vero-image.deb
sudo dpkg -i vero-kernel.deb
sudo dpkg -i vero-image.deb
  • Reboot and let me know what happens.

Sam

Hi guys,

I haven’t heard much from anyone in the recent days, so I wanted to make things simpler for people to try. I’ve uploaded a new image with the very latest kernel; which fixes a lot of SD card issues. Some issues may still persist with some SanDisk models, which is why I’d like some feedback.

You can grab the image from: http://collaborate.osmc.tv/index.php/s/Mujy3iLpyuUAkTN.

This image can be written using the OSMC Installer. Simply select ‘Use local image’ and browse to this image. There is no need to unzip the image manually.

These fixes will be included in the November update.

Sam

After a few moths that it was laying around, I decided to give Vero another chance.

I connected it to the bare minimum (Eth, HDMI & power) and did a manual update to the July version I had. When finished, the OSMC start screen was displayed, but nothing else.

So I downloaded, with the Windows OSMC-installer, the latest version. With the newly written SD the Vero formatted something, copied there some files and showed the OSMC start screen. Period.
Upon hard (pwr disconnect) reboot, the OSMC start screen was displayed, with, on the left side, the boot list. Among the 50 lines or so I could see, the non-ok were:

[SKIP] ordering cycle found, skipping LSB: prepare console
[SKIP] ordering cycle found, skipping LSB: RPC portmapper replacement
[FAIL] failed to start Load Kernel Modules
[FAIL] failed to mount /boot
[DEPEND] dependency failed for local file system

It left me with an emergency shell open, but I don’t have a keyboard connected, nor it would accept a SSH session.

So I read through this thread, copied, with the installer, the OSMC_TGT_vero1_20151027_sdfix.img on the SD, the Vero formatted and copied files again and declared that OSMC was successfully installed and stopped there.

Upon hard reboot it did not show anything at all, no signal from HDMI.

If you want me to ship the Vero to you, tell me, I don’t need it back.

Hi Sam,

At long last I had some free time so I decided to try the image. I must admit that I did not have my hopes up after having been disappointed so often. That is maybe also why I had been putting this off.

I have been running OSMC on the Raspberry Pi B 2 and I must say, that is an Ace experience. But I had purchased that unit to work as a server, so having it fill in as my Media Center while this issue was being sorted out meant I had some server projects that had to be put on hold.

I thought I had found an alternative for my Vero when I noticed that OpenELEC is also installable on it. But I would not advice anyone to go that route. Kodi regularly hung and the device would stop responding to the remote control after it went into screen save mode…

After it did that for the umpteenth time today I decided to give the image a go. And I can say to my very great surprise and delight that I am now looking at a fully booted Vero running OSMC:
Operating System: Open Source Media Center 2015.10-1
Kernel: Linux 4.1.12-4-osmc
Kodis 15.2 (Compiled: Oct 24 2015)

And all this on one of those maligned Sandisk micro SD cards…
:smile:

(I did notice btw that the Raspberry Pi is running kernel Linux 4.2.3-2-osmc. But that is an aside)

Hi

So the issue is fixed for you?

Are there any driver modules you’d specifically like us to backport from 4.2? 4.2 is not an LTS kernel, but 4.1 is. As we’re supporting Vero for three years, it makes sense to use an LTS kernel and provide a consistent, stable base (the move from 3.14, as we’ve seen caused issues, but was necessary).

Sam

Hi again,

Yes, the issue is definitely fixed, and I am overjoyed!! A big thanks for sticking with it and not letting us hang, even though it may have felt that way for a while. I know the frustration you and the team must have experienced.

Regarding the difference in kernel versions: No, there is not a feature that I am missing (My Vero has been up for only 24 minutes now.) But if I come across any I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks again for a great product. Keep up the good work!!

ArubIslander.

Good to hear you are up and running again

I have followed this thread every day, but have only posted when I felt that I had something useful to contribute to the discussion.

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam,

I just installed the november update, and I am sorry to say that the issue is back.

Greetings,
Terence

Hi Terence,

We haven’t changed anything that could reintroduce this issue. Are you saying that the October update works now,but the November one does not?

Sam

The image that worked for me was the one you prepared 19 days ago for downloading and local installation.

Hi,

OK – not to worry. There were a few SD card commits in this time; because I assumed you had tried (and reported success) with a later kernel. Can you plug the SD card in to a computer? You will see a file called ‘vmlinuz-4.1.12-3-osmc’. Rename the current zImage to ‘zImage.bak’. Copy (do not move or rename) ‘vmlinuz-4-1.12-3-osmc’ to zImage. Eject the SD card safely and try and boot the Vero.

We will likely need to git bisect the recent commits to finally identify the exact cause, but the fact it was resolved before is promising.

Also, after booting: edit /etc/osmc/prefs.d/kernel_autoremove and set OSMC_KERNEL_AUTOREMOVE=1 to OSMC_KERNEL_AUTOREMOVE=0

Sam

My file was named vmlinuz-4-1.12-4-osmc. I renamed it to zImage and rebooted but got the same error:
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-mmcblk0p1.device. [DEPEND] Dependency failed for /boot. [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.

The strange thing though, is that I thought I would just reinstall the OSMC_TGT_vero1_20151027_sdfix.img.gz. But that now doesn’t seem to work either, giving the same error on reboot after installing. I will investigate further…

OK. So this is strange: the 4.1.12-4 image that worked 11 days ago does not work anymore even though to the best of my recollection I installed it in the same way as the first time. The only difference being that when I installed it the first time my Vero had been unplugged a long while and I think the sd card had been taken out. I might give that a try again…

I am now back on the June kernel, which boots up correctly. The one thing is that CEC does not work with that kernel in combination with the latest Kodi. But that is something I will work around for now.

Whenever I get a chance I am going to try a different SD card, as I am also starting to suspect that that might be the culprit after all… (the SD card I am using now is a SanDist Ultra 8GB)

I will post again if I have any news…

BTW the correct file is: /etc/osmc/prefs.d/update_preferences

OK, so I am back up and running with the November version of the kernel. In my case the SD card was definitely the culprit. I had a MediaRange SD card lying around and I used that instead of the SanDisk and now I have OSMC 2015.11-2 running on kernel 4.1.12-osmc.

I would advise anyone still being plagued with this problem to at least try a different SD card, and report back on their finds.

Meanwhile I will make a partition image before applying the December update, just to be sure :smiley:

Argh, problem has happened again. Tried using the installer with Nov build on two different SD Cards but same symptom. It installs but then on reboot it hangs on the OSMC splash screen and then throws the dependency error. I’ve just tried installing the Oct build and the same problem. I can’t go back to June now because the household is running on the latest KODI database! I may try the Jun build just to see whether it runs in local mode, but this is just intensely annoying!

@sam_nazarko, I’m going to need your help again (see my post above). I have got it working on the original June build, but then when I run updates it goes into the same fault mode (hangs on OSMC splash screen and then throws the dependency failure on /boot and Local File SYstem). I’ve tried two separate SD Cards and am using your OSMC Installer. If I install Oct or Nov images it installs successfully but fails on reboot (so doesn’t come up at all into Kodi). My problem is that I have now moved the household onto Isengard having thought that this was solved with the library hosted in MySQL on the NAS so can no longer run things from the Jun build.

Hi Tom,

I am sorry to hear this issue has plagued you once again.

Are these the same type of card? Which brand are they?

Cheers

Sam

One is the original card that you had when i sent my Vero to you a few months ago. The other is a PNY one. Both have exactly the same symptoms; install and run fine with June image but both fail with a more recent build or when updated from a June build.

To be more precise @sam_nazarko, the PNY one is a 16GB model with the following labelling on the back
Y16GF25 SAS4061056. The other one is the original 8GB one that came with the Vero and that I sent back with the unit when this fault first became apparent.

As this unit is now of no use to me, because I can’t get it working with the current Kodi database, do you have a solution or would you like me to send it back to you again.

Tom