Dependancy failed for local file system. After July update

@sam_nazarko, Happy New Year. Can you tell me how you would like to proceed please; whether that be diagnosing actions for me to take or instructions for returning the unit? The problem clearly hasn’t been resolved and because the rest of the house has moved onto Isengard my Vero is now useless.
Many thanks in advance, Tom

You can return the unit to the same address as before with all associated peripherals and we will see if it has an issue.

Sam

Thank you, I shall do that.

Perhaps ‘we will investigate the issue’ might be a better way of communicating with customers than ‘we will see if it has an issue’. I really have no desire to remove TV from the children’s playroom in order to fabricate a problem every couple of months, just for a laugh. If there is something you would like me to do before sending it to confirm the problem then please advise.

Tom

@tombertie

I think you are reading the wrong intent in the use of the words “we will see if it has an issue”
He’s not saying that he doesn’t believe you are having problems.

“It”… your Vero… may not have an issue. The cards, or something else, may be the cause.
Until the Vero is tested with a known working card, and clean install, they won’t know for sure.

For what it’s worth, that’s also why we always ask for logs for the developers to look at.
The phrase “Corelation does not equal Causation” is especially true with computers like the Vero, or Pi, Laptops, etc. Similar symptoms do not necessarily have the same cause. Nor does that fact the a failure happens when you make a software change, mean that the software update is the cause.
Could be hardware ? Could be software ? Can’t know without methodical testing.

I’m running OSMC on the Apple TV 1, and don’t have a Vero yet, But looking at the threads, it’s amazing how many issues are solved with different SD cards. The quality control from the card manufacturers seems to be horrible.
I don’t know if your cards are new, or old, but I myself had a brand new card start having issues when it was 2 weeks old. It was causing all sorts of weird problems on my android tablet. My computer store replaced it twice more before I got one that worked as expected.

Nothing can be assumed “ok” until it’s tested methodically. That includes testing the actual cards you are using, in addition to “it” ie your vero.

Cheers !

@Spinner,

I also started out wanting and willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but have become increasingly frustrated that it has not been reciprocated from supplier to customer. This is the second time that I’m having to return the unit at my expense (normal RMA arrangements include return at vendors expense). History causes me concern that a tweak will be made to make it work, it will be suggested that the fault was mine requiring me to cover return postage, and in another months time the problem will recur. I am in general an optimist though, so will look for every sign that could indicate my skepticism is unfounded.

With regards to “it” that you refer to; it is not a little white box. It is a system called Vero that is sold in its entirety and includes a power supply, a remote and an SD card. If SD cards are so flaky and @sam_nazarko’s supply chain can’t secure consistent quality, then he should question the design that is entirely dependent on them (or be willing to pop a tested SD card in the post when the failure occurs).

Regards

Tom,

You didn’t pay return postage for your unit.

This makes no sense. I’m not aware of any metaphorical sawdust in the gearbox approach to repairing the Vero, but rest assured, that’s not being done.

The SD cards are SanDisk brand. They’re reliable. You can tell this from their lifetime warranty and the fact that other companies try to imitate their logo / markings.

I did give you the benefit of the doubt on the last return. While I found nothing wrong with either, I replaced the PSU and SD card to rule out any issue for good measure and you weren’t charged for returning the unit. However:

• You say you formatted the SD card to erase personal data. You actually only erased the FAT (256MB) partition, likely as the ext4 one is not visible in Windows. I saw on the second partition that the image was incomplete.
  • As soon as I reimaged your SD card, your Vero booted for me using your original peripherals.
  • I therefore concluded that your issue may have been a result of an incomplete reimage or some corruption

Let’s get this working for you, for good.

Cheers,

Sam

1 Like

Hi:

I am having the same issue, does these steps help resolve the July update issue?

Can i run these command using Putty??

Thanks

Did you get the unit from tom?

Found any issues?

Hi

Unfortunately I have not received an affected unit to date

Sam

Hello Everyone:

how many users are still facing the “Dependency failed for local file system” and not able to update Vero after June’15?

Please respond to this post if you still have the problem

and

Particularity if someone has already Resolved this issue - please post the step which will help resolve this issue.

Thanks

Well given that nobody who actually had the issue ever sent their Vero and SD card back to Sam for testing it never got addressed. A fresh install will most likely take care of it.

which install? the current one or from the June one>

The current install

Just installed it, but with no success.

I have tried it before as well, but since you said so I tried it and again received those 3 dependency failed massages.

Thanks

So would YOU be so kind to send Sam your vero and sdcard that the issue can finally be analyzed?

Sure, Why not.

How does that works? I am located in USA.

Thanks

Thank you in advance !!! Sam should contact you.

ATTN: @sam_nazarko

Send an email to sam@osmc.tv. I will arrange a return. Please leave the device in the state where you see this error.

Sam

Sam,
I have emailed you.
Thanks

What is going on I haven’t received any response from you guys yet.
I have already emailed Samn